Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised by these pictures. I requested photos of at least 5 cars and none of them showed the kinds of damage some of you have posted. Perhaps it's the price range? There's damage in the lowest priced cars?

Not necessarily. As mentioned above, the cars go through a reverse auction and start high and keep dropping until someone buys it. There are even examples of the going back up and then down again. Possibly an algorythym, but nobody knows how it works!

My car started at $68k and dropped down to $54,800 (lowest priced p85d at the time and no damage) Others with similar options that I requested pics has more damage and were higher priced, so there may be a correlation between price and damage but it is only because people keep passing till the price drops to the bottom.

Here’s and example $57,800 and damaged. I can’t remember what it sold for in the end.

B6EAF04F-7933-44AE-B724-E6F0CAF172A5.png

67FEE6FA-DED0-47C2-9BBD-7055DFC2A1F8.png

I looked at photos from at least a dozen CPO cars before buying mine. They do not seem to take damage into account when pricing. Some of the cheapest ones were pristine and some of the expensive ones had damage. Sometimes damage was moderate body damage (like it backed into a pole), sometimes it was minor dings and scuffs. Some photo collections were poor quality, some came with high quality third party evaluation reports that even commented on if there were signs of smoking in the car.

I don't think the sales/delivery advisors know anything more about the damage to the car than what's available in the photos or evaluation report.

From what I understand of reading the warranty it is transferable to a new private owner.

Reactions: MC408
I looked at photos from at least a dozen CPO cars before buying mine. They do not seem to take damage into account when pricing. Some of the cheapest ones were pristine and some of the expensive ones had damage. Sometimes damage was moderate body damage (like it backed into a pole), sometimes it was minor dings and scuffs. Some photo collections were poor quality, some came with high quality third party evaluation reports that even commented on if there were signs of smoking in the car.

I don't think the sales/delivery advisors know anything more about the damage to the car than what's available in the photos or evaluation report.

From what I understand of reading the warranty it is transferable to a new private owner.

Similar experience.

Correct, sales advisors know nothing more than we do, my guy almost seemed as shocked as I was when I saw the dent on my first deposit. When I asked if I could get a refund, he said not a problem, but it would take 10 days or so to process.

I also believe the warrranty is transferable.

So what is consistent is the inconsistency. It's a good thing you were careful and did your diligence with the purchase.

There are undamaged cars out there so it makes no sense to consider one that is damaged unless it is sold with a heavy discount. Like you, we have not noticed any correlation between the state of the cars/amount of damage to how much the car is sold at.

How they prices these cars is a silly game. They have daily or weekly price reductions but if the car remains unsold they raise the price by a large amount to start the daily or weekly price discounts all over again so sometimes it is weeks or months later that the car is priced at a point where it is more likely to sell.

I know they like doing things differently but different is not always best.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Do you really expect any different from private sellers and especially dealers (who buy their inventory from auctions) to be any different? Tesla has sent me pictures in a prompt fashion each time i've requested them and they show damage. Not to mention that a used car is expected to have scratches, dents, dings, blemishes and curb rash. One would also expect people posting on forums to have had negative experiences and hear all sorts of horror stories. I would take warranty from Tesla over a out of warranty car from dealer or private seller that in my experience often have 100,000 miles or way more then 100,000 miles. Not to mention that getting financing for a CPO car is infinitely easier then getting a loan to buy a from a private seller.
Well, one of the biggest problems with the change is that you now need to go to where ever the car is, which drastically cuts down on your options. I mean, if a vehicle was in San Diego they used to ship it to a service center close to you to view. Now you have to buy an airline ticket and go view the vehicle (still can't test drive it), and if the damage is worse than the crappy pics they've sent you...you are now out airfare and need to haggle with them to get your deposit back, as most list it as only transferable.

Reactions: PhilDavid and MC408
Well, one of the biggest problems with the change is that you now need to go to where ever the car is, which drastically cuts down on your options. I mean, if a vehicle was in San Diego they used to ship it to a service center close to you to view.
This is very subjective and really does depend where you live. Living in socal, sandiego is only a 1.5 hour drive away, las vegas is three hours away and San Francisco is relatively close. A flight takes two hours and a round trip can be done in a day; not to mention that airplanes tickets have really become affordable (300 round trip) and a bus ticket is about 30 dollars. Living in the biggest market for Tesla's means also having access to the biggest inventory of used cars. The same is true as long as you live in a mayor city and there is a strong demand for Teslas. But, they really should make deposits transferable as many times and for how long it takes you to find the one.

Last edited:
This is very subjective and really does depend where you live. Living in socal, sandiego is only a 1.5 hour drive away, las vegas is three hours away and San Francisco is relatively close. A flight takes two hours and a round trip can be done in a day; not to mention that airplanes tickets have really become affordable (300 round trip) and a bus ticket is about 30 dollars. Living in the biggest market for Tesla's means also having access to the biggest inventory of used cars. The same is true as long as you live in a mayor city and there is a strong demand for Teslas. But, they really should make deposits transferable as many times and for how long it takes you to find the one.
So one could infer by your response that Teslas have very little market outside CA, AZ, OR, WA, NV....which really is somewhat true. Colorado has one used, Baltimore has a decent amount but nothing like CA. Choices are limited, which means few new converts/customers.
Just IMO,
Dzm

So one could infer by your response that Teslas have very little market outside CA, AZ, OR, WA, NV....which really is somewhat true. Colorado has one used, Baltimore has a decent amount but nothing like CA. Choices are limited, which means few new converts/customers.
Just IMO,
Dzm

This policy of not transferring CA CPO vehicles will needless cause CPO values of certain cars to go down as it limits the market size.

I get a feeling that Elon likes blind followers. Put non-refundable money down sight unseen used car just because it was built in a factory where Elon once slept. Pay for Full Self Driving which will come some day, but don't dare ask when. Maybe Elon was inspired by Steve Jobs and people lining up for new iPhones on release days. The only thing is, Steve Jobs didn't sell complete vaporware or used, unreconditioned iPhones, sight unseen. Personally, I could never bring myself to pay for a "car in the bag". At the very least they should make the deposit refundable at any time, and allow test drives, but maybe requiring customers to fight to get the deposit back is Elon's secret sales technique to keep the customer on the hook.

I get a feeling that Elon likes blind followers. Put non-refundable money down sight unseen used car just because it was built in a factory where Elon once slept. Pay for Full Self Driving which will come some day, but don't dare ask when. Maybe Elon was inspired by Steve Jobs and people lining up for new iPhones on release days. The only thing is, Steve Jobs didn't sell complete vaporware or used, unreconditioned iPhones, sight unseen. Personally, I could never bring myself to pay for a "car in the bag". At the very least they should make the deposit refundable at any time, and allow test drives, but maybe requiring customers to fight to get the deposit back is Elon's secret sales technique to keep the customer on the hook.

They should just ask themselves how they would like one of their family members treated if they wanted to buy a Tesla and treat their customers the same way. If that is too much, they should just ask themselves how a car dealer would a customer and at least treat their customers as well as a car dealer. :rolleyes:

Their current policy of selling damaged CPO cars with hardly any photos, no way for a personal inspection or test drive is just awful and I wonder if they know the harm it is causing their customers and their reputation.

The current CPO program is designed to get you to put down a deposit without knowing what you are buying and you could end up with a car that is all trashed and damaged. The weird thing is I bet they are not making as much revenue as they could be making because their CPO inventory sits there depreciating while they stubbornly try to sell used cars just about the worst way possible. o_O

I love Tesla but they are better than this.

Their current policy of selling damaged CPO cars with hardly any photos, no way for a personal inspection or test drive is just awful and I wonder if they know the harm it is causing their customers and their reputation.
Maybe it's just as simple as baiting the customer with a super cheap nicely optioned car, then once the customer puts down the deposit and sees the car, they are told they can choose a different car instead, but now the point of reference is the crap car. So, if initially you had high expectations, after seeing a smoke smelling, scratched up car, one which only has a few dents and some curb rash seems in great shape. The more I think about it, the more I think not saying it clearly that the deposit is refundable is really just to hook the customer. Why else show new car pictures on the CPO car page? If they really just wanted to be honest about it, they could totally automate picture taking, have a robot take a full high resolution scan of the entire car and make those pictures available online - "virtual tour" like. Now, that would be Elon style high tech solution to an old problem, full surround inside and out scan of the car. But of course such transparency would kill the "mystery car" sales model. I'm surprised they don't sell CPO loot boxes - buy a loot box for $60K, there is a CPO in there, could be 2012 Model S40 or 2018 Model X P100D. No returns or exchanges. The people who get the P100D's would drum up a whole lot word of mouth advertising "I got a 6 month old XP100D for $60K!".

I've been thinking this ever since joining here, for better or worse there seems to be an Apple-like hive mentality of just 'some' owners here that get very defensive or make up excuse after excuse for what many deem questionable or poor behavior on behalf of the dealer network and also build quality. I know that it's exciting to be part of something new and cutting edge, but at the same time be fair and balanced esp. because these vehicles aren't exactly cheap.

Reactions: 2012MS85
they are not making as much revenue as they could be making because their CPO inventory sits there depreciating while they stubbornly try to sell used cars just about the worst way possible. o_O

I love Tesla but they are better than this.

My point exactly. $500 to recondition, nets an earlier sale at a better price. Instead they're paying Manheim to ' manage' some pretty beat up cars, some great cars, and they sit because we can't get good pictures and speak to someone. Been waiting for a return email, all totalled for over 14 days....why am I subjecting myself to this: right now there is NO equivalent. In the future there will be in Audi, Porsche, rivian...etc. I won't be doing this again in 3 yrs. I'll walk away with a smile.
Dzm

My point exactly. $500 to recondition, nets an earlier sale at a better price. Instead they're paying Manheim to ' manage' some pretty beat up cars, some great cars, and they sit because we can't get good pictures and speak to someone. Been waiting for a return email, all totalled for over 14 days....why am I subjecting myself to this: right now there is NO equivalent. In the future there will be in Audi, Porsche, rivian...etc. I won't be doing this again in 3 yrs. I'll walk away with a smile.
Dzm
Bingo! The moment that Tesla unloaded the certification off to third parties should be cause for concern from any potential buyer. Why? Because as been seen time and again, Tesla either will drag their heels or state that an issue falls within "normal expected results". At least when they were doing the reconditioning you could point to them to make things right. How is Tesla handling complaints from those that use Tesla-recommended reconditioning firms? And how can you know upfront if that "deal" you got now requires another $2-3k to clean it up? You don't, it requires them to give you an appraisal which obviously can't be done then and there when Tesla is requiring you to either sign or forgo the purchase.

Again, I'm not blaming Tesla for some owners not taking care of their vehicles, but if Tesla wants to keep resales in-house then IMHO they assume some level of responsibility to make them presentable as they aren't just giving these cars away. Actually I'm not even sure if they are listing them for less now that they stopped certifying them. Anyone?