Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S depreciation??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the question then is, which technologies/features will be exclusive to the Model S vs. the Model 3? Surely not autopilot since that's Tesla's bread and butter. Other technologies found on the Model S (e.g., nice map, good backup camera, etc.) are pretty much commonplace among other cars, so not sure how they could be missing on the 3.

The Model S is well known to have a fairly modest interior compared to its competitors (e.g., say to a Merc E class or BMW 5). So unless the Model 3 interior is as shitty as a poorly equipped civic, and you somehow can't get leather seats etc, the only diff I see is size.

Well the question then is, which technologies/features will be exclusive to the Model S vs. the Model 3? Surely not autopilot since that's Tesla's bread and butter. Other technologies found on the Model S (e.g., nice map, good backup camera, etc.) are pretty much commonplace among other cars, so not sure how they could be missing on the 3.

The Model S is well known to have a fairly modest interior compared to its competitors (e.g., say to a Merc E class or BMW 5). So unless the Model 3 interior is as shitty as a poorly equipped civic, and you somehow can't get leather seats etc, the only diff I see is size.
I don't know which technologies, I'm just going by what musk said recently.
Don't forget performance differences.

I just think there will be two separate markets, one for the 3, the other for the S
Maybe not right away but over time the market will be established, those wanting higher end vehicles will get a model S, those who don't will get a 3

Exotic1, very interesting argument. I think that's a reasonable argument. P85DL has really only been around for 2 years. Many are selling in the 80s today. If they really don't go below 50k in 5 years, they would be among the best buys ever.

A few of them have sold in the high $60's, those have been base models with no options (the ones that I have seen anyway).

IMO a 2014/15 P85D is the best Tesla and the most fun to drive for the money.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
I have a 2015 Model S 85D with 14,000 miles. Flawless condition. Cost $94k. I am looking to trade it in on a new Model X.
Tesla is offering a trade in value of $57,000. This seems significantly low to me- 40% depreciation in 24 months, 14k miles?!
There is not a lot of comparison to be made in the marketplace (except two nearly identical cars in pre-owned inventory on Tesla web site listed for ~$80,000).
Does anyone have experience or decent insight here......I love my Model S, but makes me a bit hesitant to invest in another Tesla if they are taking such a beating on the resale market.
Thanks,

I've done a lot of research and have sold a Model S myself. Depreciation is nearly 30% in year 1 then 10% each year after. However, there are also some factors such as when AWD and AP came out. Not having those features reduced the number of people interested in those cars and reduce their value further.

Reactions: davidc18
Good analysis @Hey_Hey. My comments to the points you raise:

What is harder to determine is whether a person values a new car over a used car so much that the $20,000 is worth it to them.

For me, this question is answered by the fact that it has to be money you have to burn. In other words, you're spending part of your kids' inheritance on yourself because you can't take it with you. I would never finance a significantly depreciating asset. Even with buying it, you're pouring money down the drain fast -- but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth it.

For me, I am planning on buy a 2014 S85 in approximately 6 months through the Tesla CPO program. I can afford a new Model S, but I would rather own a 3 year old Model S and use the money I save on something else. Specifically, with the money I save on buying a CPO Model S, I could put 5-10KW of solar panels on my roof, which I may actually do. I would rather have a 2014 Model S85 AND solar panels on my roof than a 2017 Model S100 alone with no solar panels (obviously, you could exchange lots of things for the solar panels).

That makes sense for you. For me, it made more sense to buy my car new in 2014 and have these past three years with my vehicle that I'll never get back in my life, in exchange for that ~50% hit on depreciation. I'm not selling it anyway, and I'm looking forward to many more trips to the cabin this summer, plus more road trips, and with gas hitting $1.43 cents a liter here recently, it is nice not having to fork out for gas. I was never one to buy an expensive vehicle in the past (I saw that as a waste of money) but the Tesla was different. I'm really glad I bought new and "wasted" my money. As to solar, 95% of my power is from clean and renewable hydro and wind. Arguably, buying solar panels and putting in a system at my home will cause more CO2 to be released (that was used to manufacture and install them) than by using the hydro power currently in place. As to changing the solar panels to "other things", that's a new Tesla for me. It was worth every penny.

Humm, what do you hate about them? I hate the old seats from 2014 and back. They didn't hold me in at all and they felt weird. Of course the current seats still can't compare with a BMW luxury seating package seat or pretty much most Merc or Lexus seats, but they are pretty good.

Humm, what do you hate about them? I hate the old seats from 2014 and back. They didn't hold me in at all and they felt weird. Of course the current seats still can't compare with a BMW luxury seating package seat or pretty much most Merc or Lexus seats, but they are pretty good.

They're shaped like Racaro racing seats but they're squishy and narrow. The area above the side bolsters is not firm, infact I can push it in with a finger about two inches.... so it pinches shoulders forward.

Also the head rest lurches forward too far, and is completely not adjustable. I'm basically hunched into the seat with my head forced forward. If I extend my neck to the right I can support from the side of the seat and get relief, but if I crash I'll have a broken neck.

I find after an hour they're torture on my lower and middle back.

I have a sacro ease chair that fits well but isn't high enough to cover the upper back sinkage.

Makes me sad, because mechanically and energy-wise the platform is perfect. Maybe I'm just not the right shape, but hey 3 days after buying a BMW for my commute I'm no longer suffering the back pain.

They're shaped like Racaro racing seats but they're squishy and narrow. The area above the side bolsters is not firm, infact I can push it in with a finger about two inches.... so it pinches shoulders forward.

Also the head rest lurches forward too far, and is completely not adjustable. I'm basically hunched into the seat with my head forced forward. If I extend my neck to the right I can support from the side of the seat and get relief, but if I crash I'll have a broken neck. I find after an hour they're torture on my lower and middle back.I have a sacro ease chair that fits well but isn't high enough to cover the upper back sinkage. Makes me sad, because mechanically and energy-wise the platform is perfect. Maybe I'm just not the right shape, but hey 3 days after buying a BMW for my commute I'm no longer suffering the back pain.

The new performance seats just added an OTA update ... adjustable headrests :cool: