Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Design Combinations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
[mod note: posts about design combinations moved from Inside Tesla thread.]

Go to 4:12. My money is on black too...

Did you notice the wheels on the white S behind him when he said that? I think they're silver, but the shadows make it look gunmetal. That's the color I wish the wheels for the performance cars were.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that he either has an iPhone 4S and hasn't updated it or he's waiting to upgrade from an iPhone 4 in October. I also am considering the red with black interior, or white, but it would look cooler with the red piping.

For the Signature Performance people they should have offered the white with red piping too.

And did anyone else notice that poor Elon needed to charge his phone? He should probably make an iPhone supercharger network as well.

Asked about the white leather with red piping. According to Tesla rep "Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate any customization of interior pieces from the factory. Even though it sounds like a simple task to pipe the seats slightly differently, in order to streamline initial production and deliveries we must adhere to the current offerings". Too bad they opted for the grey piping. It's barely noticeable.

Last edited:
Silver versus Performance wheels

Still trying to decide. Made this up to try to make a decision.

montage.jpg

Easy. If you go with the black interior, go for the darker wheels to match. If you go with the white interior get the lighter silver wheels to match. It works especially well with the pano roof option.

Congratulations on the car. Me=Jealous.

And beautiful dog...

The one thing you can be sure of is that you can't make a wrong decision. Both styles look fabulous.

I say go with the silver rather than the carbon grey.

You've got multiple tones on the car: red, chrome, black, <wheel color>. Some tones are metallic. Some are more matte. IMHO, the silver wheels match better with the chrome on the car. The grey ones lack contrast with the wheels and differ too greatly with the chrome on the body. I think the grey would go better with a black exterior color.

I say go with the silver rather than the carbon grey.

You've got multiple tones on the car: red, chrome, black, <wheel color>. Some tones are metallic. Some are more matte. IMHO, the silver wheels match better with the chrome on the car. The grey ones lack contrast with the wheels and differ too greatly with the chrome on the body. I think the grey would go better with a black exterior color.
Or white. The grey wheels look amazing on the white Model S. We're going w/ blue and silver wheels because of the chrome. I had blue w/ grey wheels on my Corvette and it looked great but there was no chrome on that car. W/ the chrome on the Model S you need something else silver to make it less jarring.

SigS905: Have you made up your mind yet regarding the wheels?

I am Sig 566, so I got my email today. I have been torn as well as to which wheels to order. I actually think the carbon grey wheels will be better with the black interior and carbon fiber accents. Take a look at the VIN#1 photo in the rain in the parking lot. To me the silver wheels are really bright compared to the rest of the car, and that is even with the tan utility shelf in the back window. I think I am voting for the sinister look (I think it makes the car look more like a Performance vehicle). Thoughts?

SigS905: Have you made up your mind yet regarding the wheels?

I am Sig 566, so I got my email today. I have been torn as well as to which wheels to order. I actually think the carbon grey wheels will be better with the black interior and carbon fiber accents. Take a look at the VIN#1 photo in the rain in the parking lot. To me the silver wheels are really bright compared to the rest of the car, and that is even with the tan utility shelf in the back window. I think I am voting for the sinister look (I think it makes the car look more like a Performance vehicle). Thoughts?

I think the carbon wheels will show curb rash a lot more than silver. I went with the silver.

I just ordered mine! I was on the fence with the same decision (seems like we're all choosing red!). In the end I went silver wheels. I agree that the carbon wheels like sinister/aggressive/bad @ss. In the end, that's not really me though. I also agree that had I gone with black interior (I went with white) the carbon wheels probably would have been a better fit. I also agree with the idea that you can't go wrong. Make choice and then no regrets. It will look GREAT either way!

I just ordered mine! I was on the fence with the same decision (seems like we're all choosing red!). In the end I went silver wheels. I agree that the carbon wheels like sinister/aggressive/bad @ss. In the end, that's not really me though. I also agree that had I gone with black interior (I went with white) the carbon wheels probably would have been a better fit. I also agree with the idea that you can't go wrong. Make choice and then no regrets. It will look GREAT either way!

I did the same thing but went with black interior. I agree through, make your decision and try and forget about it. Thinking 'I should have gone with the other wheels' will just eat away at you. It's time to get excited about the car being locked into production!

I've been partial to the dark wheels from the start. The silver is too flashy for me. Not trying to impress any one. I've been watching the roads relentlessly to see red cars with silver/dark wheels. to try to make my final decision. Saw this Maserati over the weekend on my way home from the Tesla Fashion Island store. Red, dark wheels and white interior. Looks sweet to me. The red one in the store with the silver wheels was very attention getting.

Maserati.jpg

I've been partial to the dark wheels from the start. The silver is too flashy for me. Not trying to impress any one. I've been watching the roads relentlessly to see red cars with silver/dark wheels. to try to make my final decision. Saw this Maserati over the weekend on my way home from the Tesla Fashion Island store. Red, dark wheels and white interior. Looks sweet to me. The red one in the store with the silver wheels was very attention getting.
I like the look of the Maserati as well. If the Model S didn't have so much chrome trim and the wheels were black instead of the grey, I probably would have gone with the sport wheels. It is just a personal preference in the end though.

Last edited:
I like the look of the Maserati as well. If the Model S didn't have so much chrome trim and the wheels were black instead of the grey, I probably would have done with the sport wheels. It is just a personal preference in the end though.

Personal preference it is, for sure. I intensely dislike black or dark wheels. It may look bad ass, but IMHO bad ass also means ugly. But that's just my preference.

Personal preference it is, for sure. I intensely dislike black or dark wheels. It may look bad ass, but IMHO bad ass also means ugly. But that's just my preference.

My personal preference for dark wheels is on lighter cars (white or silver Model S) so the contrast is there. The performance Model S wheels just looked off (as much as I wanted the performance wheels) with the dark red car and the shiny chrome.