TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S: Designing the Perfect Endurance Athlete

Discussion in 'Model S' started by suxxer, Jul 21, 2011.

1. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

#1 suxxer, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
    New Blog entry at TM:
    Model S: Designing the Perfect Endurance Athlete | Blog | Tesla Motors

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

2. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

Well spotted, Suxxer.

Other items of note:
    -TM is dead set against a tow hitch, arguing that the 'S' is a 'performance sedan'. I don't currently need a tow hitch, but I would expect any saloon or hatchback vehicle to be able to be fitted with one.

-There will, however, be a roof rack mount for those who need to carry lots of stuff. It's not clear if you will be able to fit either a small boat or a touring caravan on there though :wink:

-Will not have a spare wheel, unless required by law in your market. In the UK it's not a legal requirement, but most family size cars have one, I think.

Given that TM chose which questions to answer, they could at least have chosen one they intended to answer...

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Thanks for finding that. Glad to know where the charge port is but wish they would say what kind of ports there were.

Should this be moved to the Model S forum?

4. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Franz answers the Model S Q & A

Q&A about the Model S finally released. Feel free to discuss here.

Model S: Designing the Perfect Endurance Athlete | Blog | Tesla Motors

I'll go first... Love that they're keeping those door handles. The charge port sounds pretty neat too... "Similar to the door handles, the charge port door hides when not in use. It was important to me to make charging a unique experience. You’ll see on the Beta vehicles, the charge port looks nothing like a traditional fuel door."

Can't wait to hear about options and see a beta later this year!

- mnx

5. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Yes, I started a new thread there because I didn't see this one...

6. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

I'm personally bummed at the evasive answers on ground clearance and AC. An $80K car that scrapes bottom and doesn't keep you comfortable in hot weather. Hmmm.

The lack of tow hitch is also a bummer. I bicycle regularly, and I use a tow hitch mounted bike rack, since it's easier to load/unload than a roof mounted rack. If I'm reading the carefully worded paragraph correctly, roof racks can only be used if you don't get the sunroof, so I have to sacrifice either way.

7. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

I can understand they haven't thought of a hitch option but as I've said before that is very US centric thinking. The BMW configurator will happily allow me to add a hitch for $2800 to the BMW 550i xdrive sedan here in Norway. I'm guessing it's the same in most of Europe, it doesn't in the US though which is probably the only thing they've compared it to.

Cobos

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

You can have a light hitch installed very inexpensively at any trailer shop. Especially one light enough for a bike rack. This should not be a deal breaker for anyone! Finding a spot to weld it onto this unconventional car might be more of a challenge.

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And it's less dirty inside a nice new car.

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

With the two rear-facing jump seats collapsed, wouldn't there be enough room in the back itself to stow 2-3 full bicycles on top of each other?! Maybe, with the bikes' front wheels removed at worst?!

11. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

I agree that they were evasive on the ground clearance, but I thought their answer on the A/C was saying that it will be comfortable in any climate.

12. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Where did they say that? They said the car will work well, not that occupants would be comfortable:

They're talking about cooling the battery and "drive unit," not the cabin. For the cabin, they only say they're reducing solar gain through the sunroof.

13. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I read the paragraph as complimentary of both systems. He referred to the Model S excelling in all climates, then talked about both the drive/battery system as well as HVAC. You can get away with weak climate control in a supercar. It would be hard to believe that Tesla thinks the Model S would sell well with an anemic HVAC system.

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

They have much more room to design things they way they want so I certainly hope the air conditioning works well.

15. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Not if it's listed with a tow rating of 0. The Prius is in Norway and hence it's illegal to tow with it. I'm guessing the same with the Model S and thus you can get in serious insurance trouble with an illegal hitch, if you have any sort of accident that is.

Cobos

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Not suggesting towing, just something to accomodate a bicycle rack as previously mentioned.

17. richkae

richkae VIN587

I believe Tesla realizes that they made a big mistake with the Roadster, not having a tow point on the back of the car - when the car is disabled you quite often can not get at the front of it.
    The Model S should not have this problem. If there is a tow point, there will probably be a way to make something that can accomodate a bike rack. When I got my 2004 Prius, I wanted to put a hitch mount bike rack on it, but there was no hitch available for it. However it did have two tow hooks underneath the car, so I took those off and welded together a hitch mount, so now my Prius has a 1 & 1/4 inch hitch receiver on the back for a bike rack. The one I made was like this: Prius Hitch, but better as it did not have any of those clearance problems.

18. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Very nice job and what I was suggesting with my previous post.

19. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I used one of these for years, no problem and no welding necessary....

ThuleRear

orsracksdirect_2166_17052978.jpg

20. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Since the argument is that "Model S is a performance sedan", I'd think that Model X is then more likely to have solutions for bike racks and towing.