Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Designing the Perfect Endurance Athlete

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a trailer hitch style bike rack mount for my Porsche Boxster and a friends BMW Z3 as well as the Prius I already mentioned.
I hate the bike racks with all the straps and hooks and rubber feet that rub on the paint. I will make one for my Model S if there isn't one available from some other manufacturer, I hope Tesla makes it easy instead of hard.

Saris CycleOn Pro bike rack

13.jpg

profile_w_cars.jpg

I have one of these and it's good. It holds bikes by their wheels only (Thule and Yakima versions contact front fork). No danger of paint scratching at all. They have 1.25" and 2" versions. I would like to use this on the Model S.

The prototype cars had fantastic-looking light-pipe rear running lights (the lights that are illuminated while not braking). Will the final design retain distinctive rear lighting effects? YES

This was my question and I was very happy with the response. I had remained optimistic that the very plain-looking brake lighting on the Alpha was just a placeholder, but it was reassuring to have that confirmed.

I read the paragraph as complimentary of both systems. He referred to the Model S excelling in all climates, then talked about both the drive/battery system as well as HVAC. You can get away with weak climate control in a supercar. It would be hard to believe that Tesla thinks the Model S would sell well with an anemic HVAC system.

According to this article, the air-conditioning system is supplied by Toyota (perhaps customized for Tesla?).

Tesla S Charged With Generating Profit - AutoObserver

Although clearly reluctant to give examples — automakers as a rule don't like to publicize who supplies their parts — Straubel disclosed that Toyota will supply the air-conditioning system for the Model S. He said the Japanese automaker's experience with hybrids has given it a great deal of knowledge about electric air-conditioning systems. He said Tesla is benefiting from that, as well as introduction to some of Toyota's core suppliers.

I can understand they haven't thought of a hitch option but as I've said before that is very US centric thinking.

I agree and found that rather interesting. I'm from the U.S. but I know a lot of other countries like to tow things with cars. Heck, my parents 2010 Jetta TDI has a rating of ~1200 lbs which is enough to tow a lot of things outside of a large boat or camping trailer.

With the two rear-facing jump seats collapsed, wouldn't there be enough room in the back itself to stow 2-3 full bicycles on top of each other?! Maybe, with the bikes' front wheels removed at worst?!

Yes, I believe this was mentioned in a video with Franz or Elon around the time Model S was first unveiled. It went something along the lines of "You can fit a 50" Plasma, a mountain bike (with the wheels on) and a surfboard inside Model S, all at the same time.".

Tesla Model S Electric Sedan Breaks Cover - NYTimes.com
The Model S will seat up to seven people. Folding the rear seats down increases cargo space.
“It has side-facing seats in the rear, like some station wagons once had,” Mr. von Holzhausen said. “You can also fit a 50-inch plasma TV in there, a surfboard and other large objects — although not at the same time seven people are sitting in it. It’s one or the other.”...

Where is the charge port located?

Franz: The charge port is located toward the rear of the car, on the driver’s side. The majority of charging happens at home so this is the most functional location. Similar to the door handles, the charge port door hides when not in use. It was important to me to make charging a unique experience. You’ll see on the Beta vehicles, the charge port looks nothing like a traditional fuel door.

This makes me think that there is an entire panel that opens up like the door handles ... maybe the C pilar. Thus totally hidden when the closed. That would be sweet !!

This makes me think that there is an entire panel that opens up like the door handles ... maybe the C pilar. Thus totally hidden when the closed. That would be sweet !!

The C pillar is a great guess! That's about the only panel that I can think of that'd not be obvious and would be really cool-looking as it opens up :) Not sure about the structural rigidity implications though...

My hope is that the Model S will have accommodate a class 1 hitch like the Prius does (simply screw UHaul, Curt, Draw-Tite, and several other 3rd party hitches into tow points). 6 great reasons:
1. Transport people and bikes/skis/recreational gear
2. Does not require chintzy hatch mount racks that don't hold well and scratch paint
3. Does not require a roof mounted rack that is difficult to load, easy to forget when going in garages, and drastically reduces drag and increases noise
4. Allows you to pull a small (I think class 1 is #200 tongue wt, #1200 tow wt) trailer for sailboat, kayaks, utility trailer, etc
5. Provides another rear access tow point
6. Really cheap way for Tesla to show this is a car for everyone that does not require a second car.
Mike
Seattle