TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Destroyed in EV Safety Training Video

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Alexander, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Alexander

Alexander P# 8,878

#1 Alexander, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Good information, but it turned into a horror show at around the 27 minute and 40 seconds mark... I'm not going to lie... I almost cried

2. Majerus

Majerus Member

Wow, I hope that was a beaten up demo car..

3. K Hall

K Hall Member

Painful, wow that hurt.

4. AndyM

AndyM Member

Hear, hear... All I could say was "oh, no!!!!!"
    It is great info to have. A Model S gave its life for the rest of us.

5. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

impressive.

6. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Mental note: if a fireman ever asks me if I want him to cut off the power in the car, think twice before answering.

7. agentsmith1612

Good information for fireman but he pictures at the end hurt me every time.

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Some golf cart, huh?! Glad to be driving one of these tanks!

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I doubt I'll let the local fire department practice on my car.

10. Gjermund

Gjermund New Member

Hi.

I am a Norwegian that have reserved aModel S. So I have not yet seen any of these live.

However, in this video I see a possibleconcern. If you see 29.3 into the video, you can see some very poorlyexecuted welds. I hope this is just due to this car only beingassembled for this demonstration.

Is there any way to see these weldswithout doing what they do on this video? If so have onyone checkedon your own cars if these welds are better?

In the case that these can not in anyway be seen, have any of you removed some panels or orther items sothat you have seen welds which are normally not visible? Do the weldlook like good quality welds?

The main reason for concern iscorrosion, however I guess nobody has had their cars long enough tonotice if that will ever be an issue. Unfortunately, where I livethere is a lot of salt on the loads.

The overall quality was also somethingI was thinking of when I saw the weld. From what I have read on theNorwegian forum there are different opinions regarding that.

11. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Interesting to know that the 12V battery provides the "keys" for the big battery.

12. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

The fireman guy said that the charging cable cannot feed power back to the building. Bad advice. The LEAF has Vehicle to Grid and the SAE Frankenplug also has a V2G standard.

13. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

That would be a robotic weld, and given its location, not very important cosmetically. After the car's body is welded, the entire thing gets dipped in an anti-corrosion bath prior to painting. So I doubt if the gaps in the welds really matter.

14. charliestyr

charliestyr EVangelist

I wouldn't worry about corrosion as a) those are painted over, b) the car is alumin(i)um.

I would imagine most if not all cars will have similar welding when it isn't on display, there is no need to smooth out welds that cannot be seen in normal situations.

15. Gjermund

Gjermund New Member

I might be a little paranoid when it comes to this, since I am working as a structural engineer for the offshore industry. However, I am used to also aluminum welds being better. If the surface treatment is very good it might not be a problem.

However, automatic welds are often better, depending on how the robots are programmed. How are the more visible welds looking?

16. charliestyr

charliestyr EVangelist

Hmm, actually some of the frame is steel, sorry. However I am sure proper precautions have been taken for corrosion! I don't know exactly how of course.

I don't think there are any visual welds on the outside of the car? If there are they are hidden, not sure about in door jams and stuff. I haven't seen a Model S in person.

If you haven't already seen it the National Geographic doc on the Tesla factory has quite a bit about the alumin(i)um welding.

17. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

wow incredible.

18. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

This was probably a very, very early preproduction car. One built while they were still assembling the cars by hand before they had all of the robots programmed.

I haven't noticed any issues in the visible welds on my car. Search for the "frunk revealed" thread and you can find several pictures of the frunk and rear end on production cars disassembled. I'd recommend taking a look at the welds revealed there.

19. Gjermund

Gjermund New Member

I can not find that thread when I search for those words. Do I have to put in wild-cards or anything like that?

20. Jeroens

Jeroens Member

auuwwwaaa.. that's just plain wrong :scared: