Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Destroyed in EV Safety Training Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we are talking about the same thing (please post a frame grab) I am not connived those are welds. The blobs could be a butal rubber or silicone material that is for sound deadening/vibration dampening.

Even if they are welds they can be ugly and still have full penetration to absolutely join the sheets together stronger than the sheets themselves. If it's unseen then the priorities are strength and weld speed, not cosmetics.

You can see, among other things, that the interior decor was the older "banana leaf", so this is pretty clearly an early prototype. Judging by the body panel fit, I'd say it's probably one of the alphas that was used at the Fremont unveiling event. So, they just destroyed a Model S whose panel fit was much tighter than our production cars! :-(

I learned something new - I didn't realize the AC/DC inverter contained hi voltage capacitors. Makes sense, now that I think about it.

That does make me a bit concerned about the potential for a hi voltage discharge out of the capacitors into the chassis in the event of a bad rear end collision. I'm not 100% comfortable with the idea of sitting my kids on top of that in the rear facing seats.

I learned something new - I didn't realize the AC/DC inverter contained hi voltage capacitors. Makes sense, now that I think about it.

That does make me a bit concerned about the potential for a hi voltage discharge out of the capacitors into the chassis in the event of a bad rear end collision. I'm not 100% comfortable with the idea of sitting my kids on top of that in the rear facing seats.

Just a guess, but I suspect that the amount of crash energy required to shear the inverter case open would likely leave every occupant in the car dead. The inverter would probably be displaced long before it could be broken by the impact.

Consider the fact that a gas tank is far less robust and usually located even further to the rear of the car when you are considering the type of risk you are talking about.

Just a guess, but I suspect that the amount of crash energy required to shear the inverter case open would likely leave every occupant in the car dead. The inverter would probably be displaced long before it could be broken by the impact.

Consider the fact that a gas tank is far less robust and usually located even further to the rear of the car when you are considering the type of risk you are talking about.

Good points. I'm sure I'll feel much better once I see some hard data on crash test results. I wonder if the IIHS or NHTSA will test with dummies in the rear facing seats, and with higher rear impact velocities, given the unique seating arrangement in the Model S.

Great video. One I believe every owner should familiarize themselves with as you never know where you might be driving the car when a wreck happens. Realistically, first responders will not have this entire process committed to memory and in areas with few EVs, may be completely unfamiliar. I just forwarded the link to the video and the information guide for 1st responders to my local Fire Department's Deputy Chief of Operations.