Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S doesn't turn off always running eating battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I've only had my brand new model s for a few weeks, recently today I've noticed my camera was not working. It would display a black screen instead when I reversed. Later in the day I took my family on a ride and a message came up to reset the screen. I decided to go directly to factory reset from the settings menu, and after that my main touchscreen console completely failed. It doesn't turn on at all, and I've tried the manual reset using the steering controls and still no luck.

Lastly, I've noticed that I can't control some of the functions like music is off, can't control bluetooth, and most annoyingly my fans level is stuck at 8 and AC temp is around 68.

So even when I walk into my house and leave my FOB there (more than 50 ft from the car), my car hasnt been able to power down and still is running the fan and AC at high and has been eating some of the battery. I have it currently plugged in for now...I can't access it through my app because it's disabled.

Has anyone else had this problem before and what did you do to fix it!?

I really appreciate the help here kind of scary thinking the car will shut off or something and I wouldnt be able to drive it.

I'm confused.

You say the the 'main touchscreen' has failed. Yet you say the fan is at 8 and temp at 68. How would you know this if the screen has failed?

You description does not make sense.

Let me clarify that the dashboard screen still works so i can see the fan speed and temperature from there. I tried to adjust it and it doesn't change it either.

So Dashboard screen (works) is the one behind the wheel and the main console/touch screen (stuck/black) is the big guy.

Rebooting the console & dashboard processors can clear up a lot of issues.

You can also try doing a "power off", followed by a reboot.

Though considering the number of issues, I would strongly recommend calling Tesla's phone support, and have them work with you - and if you can't get it resolved over the phone, have Tesla send a mobile service van or arrange for a service appointment to have Tesla look at it.

The factory reset should clear all of the settings and restore the defaults - just like when the car is first delivered. Though if the rear camera wasn't working before the factory reset, it's likely the reset wouldn't do anything to correct that.

And it's possible what you are seeing is a software mismatch - possibly a software update that didn't complete properly, causing an incompatibility between the various processors. And Tesla's phone support, mobile service van or service center should be able to get this resolved.

Reactions: jruiz510
Rebooting the console & dashboard processors can clear up a lot of issues.

You can also try doing a "power off", followed by a reboot.

Though considering the number of issues, I would strongly recommend calling Tesla's phone support, and have them work with you - and if you can't get it resolved over the phone, have Tesla send a mobile service van or arrange for a service appointment to have Tesla look at it.

The factory reset should clear all of the settings and restore the defaults - just like when the car is first delivered. Though if the rear camera wasn't working before the factory reset, it's likely the reset wouldn't do anything to correct that.

And it's possible what you are seeing is a software mismatch - possibly a software update that didn't complete properly, causing an incompatibility between the various processors. And Tesla's phone support, mobile service van or service center should be able to get this resolved.

Yeah I called them last night I was able to a schedule an appointment for Tuesday. We have walked through the troubleshooting issues and still no luck. The only real concern I have now is that the car does NOT turn off. I was traveling from sacramento to Fremont sunday afternoon and had about 70 miles left of range which I thought would be enough for me to AC charge at work for monday. Unfortunately when I woke up my car had lost about 60 miles over night and I was forced to supercharge back up.

I am aware that my car doesn't turn off and to avoid risk I am currently plugged in at one of the facebook AC chargepoints. Since I've lost mobile access I have been struggling to remove the adapters even the charger cables from the tesla superchargers. I am actually concerned that the adapter might get stuck since there is no way to get the charge port unlocked. I even called the Tesla technical support and they were not able to unlock it.

Anyways thought I share my list of inconveniences on a 3-week old car!

When the 17" screen acts up, usually a reboot from 2 scrolling buttons on the steering wheel would work fine.

When the 17" screen fails, you still have controls for the propulsion but you wouldn't have the rest of the accessories such as lights, HVAC, bluetooth, homelink, audio...

Wish I read the manual when this happened I went straight to the factory reset setting menu instead! Eventually, I was going to call Tesla about the camera but I thought I can tolerate it for a couple days especially with the backed up service appointments. But now with the main console screen completely off and the car never turning off its kind of becoming a bigger headache affecting my daily commute.

I did find out from Tesla support team that the console was online but it was not receiving any of the commands from their side. I think the only command it accepted was the locking of doors remotely and that was it.

Yes this happened to me. About 22k miles on my 70 D about 3 months ago. Same exact issues. AC was on over night. Originally Tesla said bring it in. I told them come get it. I wasn’t comfortable driving it with out the big screen working. May safety stuff wasn’t working either? Corporate Tesla sent a wrecker to my house as the AC just ran and ran. Service Center kept it 3 days and installed new screen and software. No prob since.

Yes this happened to me. About 22k miles on my 70 D about 3 months ago. Same exact issues. AC was on over night. Originally Tesla said bring it in. I told them come get it. I wasn’t comfortable driving it with out the big screen working. May safety stuff wasn’t working either? Corporate Tesla sent a wrecker to my house as the AC just ran and ran. Service Center kept it 3 days and installed new screen and software. No prob since.

So I received my Tesla back last week on Tuesday October 2nd, the main console issue was resolved but the AC power surging noise never went away. I recorded a clip of it below, apparently, this noise only comes up when the AC is turned on I just dropped it off at the service center again. This time they told me it was an issue with the Air compressor. It's been of a headache for a brand new car delivered in late August, considering I haven't had it for a full month yet!