Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Door Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely stinks.

Someone hit my vehicle about 1 year ago. It was the driver's side quarter panel near the charge port. I had various estimates for replacement, but I eventually had a PDR guy fix the area since there wasn't any paint loss, and I corrected the scratches paint transfer left behind by the worthless piece of crap who didn't leave a note. I decided to eat the cost since the increase in premium over the next few years who have exceeded the cost of repair.

1. "Tom" thinks the door needs to be replaced and said it would around approx 4k-5k. He said he would write it up on Monday. I told him that Dornes did it for $3750 and showed the post above. He wouldn't believe it! (oh well!). "The door itself costs $1200...etc"
I don't know if pricing is different in Maryland than in California but I just got an estimate from my authorized Tesla body shop and the rear door is $723 although mine is the driver side and yours appears to be passenger.
Passenger front door is $700 from my Dorns quote of $3,750.

For my, they needed to replace the seam too (this was under additional labor, after the took the door apart), which was another $87.15

Labor was $2481, paint was $410, add tax and waste to get $3,753.xx

Thanks for all the comments. Here is another quick update. I went to Criswell Collision Center in Annapolis today - surprisingly, I had a much better experience than Europros. Kevin was much more accessible - took the time to explain all the work that needs to be done, told me it wasn't a big deal and these things happen (I know he is being nice! :) ) and gave me a detailed quote. You guys are right - the door is $723 and the total estimate was ~$3300. He said it could cost a few hundred dollars more depending on the work needed on the quarter panel once they open it up and see the damage.

I asked him repeatedly if they have experience with Tesla repair and he was nice enough to take me inside the garage and showed all the Teslas being worked on. Gut wrenching ! I saw a Model S with 200 miles on it with some major work! At least 10 Teslas were inside..wow..! I was completely underestimating them.

On the flip side, still haven't received the formal quote from Europros. They were supposed to email me today. I will call them tomorrow just to get an idea on the numbers and compare. Would be interesting to see if the door would "easily cost $1200" there! I am assuming it should be standard everywhere!

I asked him repeatedly if they have experience with Tesla repair and he was nice enough to take me inside the garage and showed all the Teslas being worked on. Gut wrenching ! I saw a Model S with 200 miles on it with some major work! At least 10 Teslas were inside..wow..! I was completely underestimating them.
Even more troubling is that in your state, that isn't California, that they had 10 Teslas sitting in there.

Even more troubling is that in your state, that isn't California, that they had 10 Teslas sitting in there.

CuriousG, Just trying to understand - why is it a concern? He said many of those cars are waiting on parts.

Anyway, here is another update. I received the quote from Europro - $4300 (Criswell quoted $3,300). Criswell thought if there is more underlying damage to the quarter-panel, it could be another few hundred dollars. Europro thinks it is $1500-2,000 if there is more damage - they want to just replace the quarter-panel. Seem a bit excessive. Criswell was very responsive when I was there in-person but no response to the email I sent last night. Europro responded right away - I value that kind of response time and customer service.

Also, Europro needs 2-3 weeks after the parts are delivered to get started. Just to get started!

Anyone has experience with these guys - at this point, planning to go through insurance.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the feedback and sorry for being MIA last evening. Here is the current update. I took it to Europro in Gaithersburg who got better reviews than Criswell in Annapolis.

1. "Tom" thinks the door needs to be replaced and said it would around approx 4k-5k. He said he would write it up on Monday. I told him that Dornes did it for $3750 and showed the post above. He wouldn't believe it! (oh well!). "The door itself costs $1200...etc"
2. If the quarter panel needs to be replaced too, "it is another $1500".
3. Contacted Allstate about the issue. I never had a claim ever in my record - all of my deductible ($500) can be covered as part of my "reward" - something about the amount accumulating each premium period I didn't have a claim. Also, have "accident forgiveness", so - the premiums shouldnt increase at the next renewal. They wanted me to submit the quote from the body shop on Monday. I am still waiting for the catch! I am guessing they would say their "pro shop" would do it for cheaper? I don't know...
4. I am planning to take it to Criswell as well just to get a second opinion
5. The baby has 700 miles on it in total in 2 weeks....painful! :)

Well at least the paint should match since it's only 2 weeks old... ;)