Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Door Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, there is no better way to say this! I have a 2 two week old Tesla (picked up on 12/31) and I caused back door damage. I feel like c*ap and I have been driving for 15 years and never had such a bad lapse in judgment.

It is in back rear door and I think it is pretty bad. It was in a parking lot in DC and there is no way any car could have turned right in that corner and they should have put a no right symbol there.

IMG_0403 — Postimage.org

I am reading about all the scary cost estimates. What am I in for? Of course, I do have pretty good insurance that I probably never used...

Did I say I feel like c*ap? Oh yeah.. I did...

Yikes, that's nasty. I did similar - backing into a spot and I completely missed a steel pylon, marred the passenger front door pretty bad. Cost for me (mine wasn't that bad, but it was certainly noticeable) from the local Tesla-authorized repair shop was $2500, including the body work and repainting. Took a week.

Put in a new door? Wow - now, I am officially freaked out. What am I in for? Would the insurance typically cover it all - except for the deductible of course. There are a couple of Tesla authorized bodyshops in the area. Should I get an estimate from them first before I involve the insurance?

Put in a new door? Wow - now, I am officially freaked out. What am I in for? Would the insurance typically cover it all - except for the deductible of course. There are a couple of Tesla authorized bodyshops in the area. Should I get an estimate from them first before I involve the insurance?

Assuming you are going to get it fixed, and make an insurance claim, I don't think there is any reason not to notify the insurance company immediately. In fact I believe some policies require that you notify the company within x amount of time after the damage has been incurred.

What concerns you about notifying your insurance company?

Yes Andy - I am planning to get it fixed.
(1) Will the insurance company be okay with me taking it only to Tesla approved body shops? Also, one of the local body shops (Europro) has better reviews than Criswell. Not sure if the insurance company would be okay with taking the vehicle there
(2) Has anyone had experience getting this kind of claim taken care of by Allstate earlier. I wonder how much the premium would increase by but that is a question for the agent.
(3) based on the cost estimates, looks like it doesn't make sense to try to do it without insurance involvement and risk impacting the premium?

It really sucks but there are far worse things that could happen I guess...! Lets see if the insurance comes through for me.

It would be best to take it to an authorized Tesla shop and the insurance should not have an issue. At least your car is drivable in the meantime, unlike mine so you can count that blessing. They can order what is needed for the repair while you keep driving.

Sad for the damage to your baby!

My wife backed into a car in a parking lot a couple of years ago. The other party filed a claim, but we didn't. I have no idea what it cost to fix their vehicle, but I wouldn't think very much. When I was shopping around for insurance the other day, that claim made a $1200 a year difference in the premium at Progressive. You might want to do some research before you blindly file a claim.

Thx 2krazykats and electro man. Electroman, what do you recommend then ? Get an estimate from a bodyshop and then call insurance to ask how my premium would change with that expense on file ?
That's what I would do.

Well I guess he kind of vandalized his own car.:rolleyes: So if someone keys your car or breaks a window, they can't raise your rates if you file a claim? I've never heard that before. Is that a law or just common practice?

@xanadu36 From a ethical perspective this might not be the best advice. I would claim vandalism damage. That way your insurance premiums will not change (assuming you have comprehensive coverage). Honestly I don't mind stretching the truth when it comes to insurance, especially auto insurance.

That is insurance fraud. If you are caught, the repercussions are BAD. 1) they will at least get their money back plus cancel your policy on the spot and 2) they may turn you in for attempting to defraud a business. That means the popo (police) may get involved and/or their lawyer. That will get you in trouble alone AND you may be black listed from getting insurance from just about anyone. DON'T DO IT.

That is insurance fraud. If you are caught, the repercussions are BAD. 1) they will at least get their money back plus cancel your policy on the spot and 2) they may turn you in for attempting to defraud a business. That means the popo (police) may get involved and/or their lawyer. That will get you in trouble alone AND you may be black listed from getting insurance from just about anyone. DON'T DO IT.

Not only the above, but I expect the insurance company would request a police report of the vandalism. So you would also be filing a false report with the police, and there are, of course, ramifications to that as well.

Found it: $3,750 to get the door replaced (not repaired), repainted, etc. I took it to Dorns (the authorized shop in VA). The other persons insurance paid, the adjust said Tesla's prices were "high" but not outrageous. Initial estimate was $1,900. After they took the car apart, they found another ~$2k worth of repairs.
Door ding

If you're paying out of pocket, see if the shop will negotiate price with you. They might. But for $4k, I'd let the insurance company take care of it. That's what insurance is for...

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Found it: $3,750 to get the door replaced (not repaired), repainted, etc. I took it to Dorns (the authorized shop in VA). The other persons insurance paid, the adjust said Tesla's prices were "high" but not outrageous. Initial estimate was $1,900. After they took the car apart, they found another ~$2k worth of repairs.
Door ding

I like the title of your thread--"Door Ding." That's quite a "ding!"

Reactions: Max*
Thanks for all the feedback and sorry for being MIA last evening. Here is the current update. I took it to Europro in Gaithersburg who got better reviews than Criswell in Annapolis.

1. "Tom" thinks the door needs to be replaced and said it would around approx 4k-5k. He said he would write it up on Monday. I told him that Dornes did it for $3750 and showed the post above. He wouldn't believe it! (oh well!). "The door itself costs $1200...etc"
2. If the quarter panel needs to be replaced too, "it is another $1500".
3. Contacted Allstate about the issue. I never had a claim ever in my record - all of my deductible ($500) can be covered as part of my "reward" - something about the amount accumulating each premium period I didn't have a claim. Also, have "accident forgiveness", so - the premiums shouldnt increase at the next renewal. They wanted me to submit the quote from the body shop on Monday. I am still waiting for the catch! I am guessing they would say their "pro shop" would do it for cheaper? I don't know...
4. I am planning to take it to Criswell as well just to get a second opinion
5. The baby has 700 miles on it in total in 2 weeks....painful! :)

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
1. "Tom" thinks the door needs to be replaced and said it would around approx 4k-5k. He said he would write it up on Monday. I told him that Dornes did it for $3750 and showed the post above. He wouldn't believe it! (oh well!). "The door itself costs $1200...etc"
I don't know if pricing is different in Maryland than in California but I just got an estimate from my authorized Tesla body shop and the rear door is $723 although mine is the driver side and yours appears to be passenger.