Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S door handel failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other manufacturers do these programs when a particular part is a design failure, but it doesn't rise to the level of a recall since it isn't a safety issue.

Anyone know how these sorts of programs get put in place in the industry in general? Do manufacturers implement them internally out of the goodness of their hearts (doubtful) or are they driven into them to maintain customer satisfaction ratings, or because they get sued, etc?
On the first part, right. Outside door handles failing almost certainly don't fit under the definition of a vehicle safety issue. Recalls are generally for safety defects or non-compliance w/FMVSS. Not sure about FMVSS compliance here.

I'm guessing it is to maintain customer satisfaction and possibly to avoid lawsuits. http://nissanassist.com used to list a whole bunch but it's down to a single item now.

I know I was covered by Combination Meter Warranty Enhancement on my Prius, but too bad (?) it's still working fine and my Prius is past 10 years old, so it won't be covered if it fails now. I also received Brake actuator "warranty extension" from Toyota in snail mail.

Back at it again this morning for another attempt
20161016_081733.jpg

I'm a bit stuck at the moment attempting to get the window regulator assembly out to access the door handel assembly.

Last edited:
See attached. You don't need to remove the window but this is your first time ;)

Hope it helps, I'm typing this from my iPhone on a hike with the family

View attachment 198740 View attachment 198741 View attachment 198742 View attachment 198743

Well after getting back at it this morning even with the diagrams you provided I'm still stuck trying to get the window control mechanism out and this large bar in my way.
1476633298643-707344813.jpg

I think I may have to throw in the towel on this attempt as well, I was hopeful I could fix this myself but it may be a bit too much for me it would seem. Will have to think this over some more as kiddos are not cooperating this morning for me to give it anymore time.

Last edited:
does anyone know when 2nd gen door handles started being installed by the factory? is there anyway to tell if I have them? 2015 85D...

I'm bumping Blee's question because I am wondering as well. Thanks!

Tesla replaced all 4 of my 1st gen door handle mechanisms with what I was under the impression were 2nd gen ones (or at least significantly improved, redesigned ones as I never had a door handle problem again) in August 2013 after multiple failures. So I would have thought cars coming off the line would have had them starting around then.

From the OP manufacture date and VIN, it appears not. I find that really strange. Maybe I got prototype gen 2s long before the line got upgraded? Weird.

Tesla replaced all 4 of my 1st gen door handle mechanisms with what I was under the impression were 2nd gen ones (or at least significantly improved, redesigned ones as I never had a door handle problem again) in August 2013 after multiple failures. So I would have thought cars coming off the line would have had them starting around then.

From the OP manufacture date and VIN, it appears not. I find that really strange. Maybe I got prototype gen 2s long before the line got upgraded? Weird.

After having been in the door multible times I can tell you that my Feb 2014 model S has several parts in it dated to Nov and Dec 2013

At this point it only takes me 5min to get the door all apart to the point I get stuck at so faster each time vs 45min the first time going slow.

Well after getting back at it this morning even with the diagrams you provided I'm still stuck trying to get the window control mechanism out and this large bar in my way.
View attachment 198831

I think I may have to throw in the towel on this attempt as well, I was hopeful I could fix this myself but it may be a bit too much for me it would seem. Will have to think this over some more as kiddos are not cooperating this morning for me to give it anymore time.

You can call me if you want.

But that bar killed me the first couple times I did it. I had to look under the door and release the nut that holds that bar in place, the nut is under the door (near where the puddle light would be) under a plastic cover that you have to pop off, after you pop it off you can lift that bar for a little more clearance.

I have a time lapse of me removing one that I may be able to post tonight

You can call me if you want.

But that bar killed me the first couple times I did it. I had to look under the door and release the nut that holds that bar in place, the nut is under the door (near where the puddle light would be) under a plastic cover that you have to pop off, after you pop it off you can lift that bar for a little more clearance.

I have a time lapse of me removing one that I may be able to post tonight

Much appreciated, I had to call off the attempt due to my misbehaving children (they are usually awesome kids tho) and wont have time again for another attempt till the weekend, this morning I have another issue and am off to the tire shop as soon as there is enough air in the tire to make it the 3mi
20161017_073102.jpg

A few months ago I took my intermittent 2013 driver's side handle out (and got it back in) without removing the window or regulator. The top rear nut was the hardest, I had to buy a slim wrench. I repaired the white wire connection and it works great. Thanks to the thread linked back on the first page of this thread.

A few months ago I took my intermittent 2013 driver's side handle out (and got it back in) without removing the window or regulator. The top rear nut was the hardest, I had to buy a slim wrench. I repaired the white wire connection and it works great. Thanks to the thread linked back on the first page of this thread.

I'm hoping my repair goes as well, I also bought a small skinny wrench for my next attempt. Can never have too many kinds of tools. I'm hoping my next time in the door will be my last time and end with success, also hoping to get this fixed before it starts getting too cold and before the snow comes as it would really not make my day to be opening first the back door then the front in a snowstorm. The non working handle also wont be a good sign if I dont have it fixed before visiting my family over new years down in florida as they were all solidly against me buying a tesla, for them it would be a golden 'told you so' moment with the broken handle.

They dont know I already bought one.

Interestingly my door handle has slowly been retracting day by day since it stopped working, it is at about 3mm protruding from the side of the car so maybe by the time I'm able to work on it again it will be flush in the fully retracted position, will make it easier to get it out that's for sure.

I'm set for another attempt at the door this sunday when my wife will be able to corral the kiddos and give me some quality time to work on it, hoping I can just swing that bar out of the way and not even have to mess with the window control mechanism at all. I dont have small hands so expect to sacrifice some skin while getting the door handle assembly out.