Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Door Handle - Unique circumstance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello there, thanks for having me.

I am a professional vinyl wrapper, and this week I have been working on my first Model S. The customer did not want their door handles removed, which was fine as I am able to wrap over them, trim carefully and tuck the vinyl around the edge no problem.

On my second door, specifically the right rear door, I made a mistake. I had laid the vinyl on the entire door, trimmed the inner edge, and then I needed the door open to trim the outer edge around. Here's where I messed up.. I forgot to trim the door handle part, so when I opened the door from the inside, the door handle extended, pushing against my freshly laid vinyl. It only opened roughly halfway as the vinyl stretched, but still held down. It then retracted, and I went into panic mode to quickly trim the vinyl. On the 3rd time going out and back in, it tore the vinyl, ruining the piece. Now, the door handle seems to be stuck too far extended from the vehicle to open. I've now removed it to investigate. After researching, it seems this has been a common issue, albeit not caused by vinyl basically pressing against the handle as it opens.

Upon inspection, nothing seems physically broken / out of place.
It will still open / retract, motor seems fine.
Any ideas or tips? Is it worth it for me to order the new microswitch? Maybe something is just misaligned?
Basically it will shut like normal, but when it extends, it extends too far to the point it should be if you are grabbing on it to open. It needs to be 1 "click" back so when you grab it you have the quarter inch of movement to trigger opening the door.

Any help would be much appreciated, I attached a photo of the underside of the handle. I can provide more photos tomorrow to supplement.

Cheers,

Attachments

• 20201211_153738.jpg
    20201211_153738.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 164
Watch the video from EV Tuning on door handle repair. It shows you how to adjust how far the handle extends.

I followed the video, taking everything apart and rebuiling, checking that the motor gear and metal flap is all good. Plugged back into car while door is open, and the handle is fully extended still. It also looks like one side is out slightly more than the other.

Does this sound more like a failing microswitch?

Update: Figured it out!

I took everything apart, rebuilt, and it's working fine! I think the gear and the little metal piece just wasn't in the same notch.

Thanks all for the help!
Hi,
I have the same issue on my door too.

How did you resolve it when you took it apart? Did you remove paddle? Did you remove motor? What exactly did you dismantle?

Thanks