TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Door Handles

Discussion in 'Florida' started by FloridaGary, Jan 29, 2016.

1. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

I have owned my Model S for 5 weeks now and truly enjoying every mile driven.

Since our mild weather will soon turn warm and then hot soon, I was wondering what all of my fellow Floridian Tesla owners have experienced when they touch their door handles during the heat of spring/summer/fall? Being chrome, I am assuming you could cook eggs on them during our summers. Any suggestions on how to mitigate the heat from the handles and save our fingerprints while opening our car doors?

Have a great weekend!

Gary

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

They get super hot in CA too. I looked at EVAnnex's genuine carbon covers. They would certainly solve the problem. But you must buy a kit that includes the nose cone and B pillar appliques. I did and applied the two latter. They look great. Fit perfectly. I love them. I deemed the handles to be tacky as I could still see the chrome. They fit well. But they don't wrap around (not possible). So I tossed them. I am certain that they would work for keeping the handles cool on the exterior. Not sure about the inside part that we pull. Just don't know. But the kit price is high if that is all you want/need. I wrote them and expressed that forcing a kit for all three was a mistake on their part. No response or change.

3. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

Those carbon fiber covers look good but the inside of the door handles would also need some type of material to minimize heat.

4. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    I drive mine throughout last summer and frequently had it outside baking during the hottest hours. BTW, the smartphone climate control activation was worth a lot then. We never had any issues with actually touching the door handles because of auto-present. On the few occasions when auto-present was slow we tapped the handle with a fingernail, that always worked. Thus, for us at least, there was no problem at all.

5. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

Good to hear and perhaps I worried over nothing. Thank you.

6. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Well, you know the Model S is a hot car! :cursing:

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I've heard some folks complain about the handles getting hot but the great majority of owners we know never complain. Our Model S has survived 3 summers so far.

8. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

They can get really hot if you actually touch them. I don't think I've ever pressed the handles to open them (other than demoing how they work), because they auto present when I walk up to the vehicle, or when I unlock with the fob. The inside of the handle isn't particularly hot, and that is the part I pull to open the door.

9. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

Thanks NigelM and trilsOn. It sounds like the inside of the door handle will be reasonable to touch especially with auto-present.