Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S driver filmed sleeping in traffic!! Calling All Forum Safety Nannies!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be mindful and keep the distance setting to about 5 or higher, then the car will more predictably brake in time at highway speeds, anything less will result in an accident if you do not take corrective action yourself! You have been warned, I wish Tesla would emphasize this more to reduce our being lulled into a false sense of security in regards to TACC and Autopilot.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Tesla Model S Driver Naps While Autopil ot Drives in Traffic (W/Video) - Motor Trend
upload_2016-5-26_8-35-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-26_8-31-22.png
    upload_2016-5-26_8-31-22.png
    534 KB · Views: 44
Sigh. That is so crazy, but on par with the craziness I witness regularly on LA freeways.

I just hope this stuff doesn't become common enough news fodder that Tesla has to back off their aggressive software roll outs of new features.

I recalled there was a whole thread about sleeping with autopilot. So I looked it up and found it.

Fell asleep using Autopilot - admission from a Model S owner

Actually some interesting discussions in that thread about folks with medical episodes while on Autopilot. And possibly what to do.

I recall when AP came out people mentioned the car would slow down and move itself to the side of the road if the required driver input (hands on steering wheel) did not occur despite multiple requests. Was that ever programmed/established I wonder?

If you read the owners manual it clearly states if you don't touch the wheel the car will eventually come to a complete stop in the lane that it is in and I believe put on the hazards (don't have the manual in front of me right now). I've yet to test it out...

This actually has been framed the wrong way. It should be framed as "Tesla autopilot prevents another asleep at the wheel accident!"
And each time this has been brought up to me in the last day or so, my response has been 'Isn't that fantastic that autopilot kept some fool from crashing into other people because he was driving while sleep-deprived?? So glad that didn't happen in another car!'.

It reframes the conversation immediately from 'Tesla bad' to 'OMG Tesla is great!'.

If you read the owners manual it clearly states if you don't touch the wheel the car will eventually come to a complete stop in the lane that it is in and I believe put on the hazards (don't have the manual in front of me right now). I've yet to test it out...

Last night, my friend had fell asleep while auto pilot was engaged around 3am on the freeway, when he had woke about 10 miles from when he recalled he was awake (on the freeway), his car had stopped in the far right lane (not shoulder). He wasn't sure if the car had moved itself to the right or if that was the lane he was currently in. However it did stop in a lane that was for moving traffic and was quiet surprised he didnt wake to an accident or being rear ended by another vehicle.

If I was in his situation, I honestly think the car should make a very louder than normal alarm as the car is performing to slow down. It has so many other safety features I dont find this unreasonable. The alarm in a mild sound goes off when you dont wear your seat belt, when you dont have your hands on the wheel with AP after a certain time or distance driven, the steering wheel vibrates when you cross over lanes with out the signal, etc. I would strongly urge Tesla to update an alarm for this instance. I know a lot of owners would say , well dont fall asleep at the wheel or you should always be alert, but the fact is, there definitely are going to be occasions that were not intentional when owners are too tired or medically they knock out at the wheel. Also to note, the tesla knows the MPH on the road its on. If it knows that the MPH is say 65-70mph, why would it stop in lane with moving traffic, and have the owner just wake up at any time to find himself in a moving lane? There really should be an alarm that sounds off. As an owner I would find this a beneficial feature and not one bit annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: MassModel3
Last night, my friend had fell asleep while auto pilot was engaged around 3am on the freeway, when he had woke about 10 miles from when he recalled he was awake (on the freeway), his car had stopped in the far right lane (not shoulder). He wasn't sure if the car had moved itself to the right or if that was the lane he was currently in. However it did stop in a lane that was for moving traffic and was quiet surprised he didnt wake to an accident or being rear ended by another vehicle.

If I was in his situation, I honestly think the car should make a very louder than normal alarm as the car is performing to slow down. It has so many other safety features I dont find this unreasonable. The alarm in a mild sound goes off when you dont wear your seat belt, when you dont have your hands on the wheel with AP after a certain time or distance driven, the steering wheel vibrates when you cross over lanes with out the signal, etc. I would strongly urge Tesla to update an alarm for this instance. I know a lot of owners would say , well dont fall asleep at the wheel or you should always be alert, but the fact is, there definitely are going to be occasions that were not intentional when owners are too tired or medically they knock out at the wheel. Also to note, the tesla knows the MPH on the road its on. If it knows that the MPH is say 65-70mph, why would it stop in lane with moving traffic, and have the owner just wake up at any time to find himself in a moving lane? There really should be an alarm that sounds off. As an owner I would find this a beneficial feature and not one bit annoying.

I am amazed that after that scenario your takeaway was that the car could have done a better job of protecting your friend from himself. I mean wow.

What would have happened if he was driving any other car and dosed off? Would it have pulled over for him and put on the emergency lights?

Yet your complaint seems to be that the car didn't do a good enough job of saving his ass. I can't wrap my head around that. Did I just misunderstand you?

Please don't cross post this to every relevant thread. It makes it hard to respond.

Reactions: mblakele