Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S driver side water leak issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a leak that is coming in from the body frame on the driver side left panel wall. See picture. It's coming out of the little hole in the middle where there is yellow foam in it. I sprayed my car down to try and find the leak. Since my foot wells keep filling up with water after it rains. Does anyone know why the body would fill with water?
20220206_123001.jpg

You footer suggest you have a 2016. Do you have the pano roof? I believe there is a drain line that runs on each side and recall seeing some comments about those potentially becoming blocked and causing leak issues. I don't recall that showing up in the footwell, but just trying to think of potential options for you.

You footer suggest you have a 2016. Do you have the pano roof? I believe there is a drain line that runs on each side and recall seeing some comments about those potentially becoming blocked and causing leak issues. I don't recall that showing up in the footwell, but just trying to think of potential options for you.
I have a 2016 but don't have a pano roof, but maybe it's the same thing. When I run water down in the little holes at the bottom corners of the windshield, that is when it leaks in. It leaks on both sides, passenger and driver side when I run water in at the the corners outside the windshield.

Attachments

• 20220206_134944.jpg
    20220206_134944.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 20220206_135056.jpg
    20220206_135056.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 252
I have a 2016 but don't have a pano roof, but maybe it's the same thing. When I run water down in the little holes at the bottom corners of the windshield, that is when it leaks in. It leaks on both sides, passenger and driver side when I run water in at the the corners outside the windshield.
Have you had the frunk covers removed recently? Possibly to change a 12V or HEPA filter? I believe there is a drain tube on both sides that has to be disconnected when you remove the covers. I'm wondering if the one on the driver side maybe didn't get reconnected or has become plugged?

You can find a variety of youtube videos that show how to removed the covers. I just grabbed this one. If you look at about the 2:00-3:00 mark you can get a good view of the drain tubes connecting to the front corners of interior cover panel. I've never pulled mine apart myself but they do not appear to be that difficult to get at.

That would be the next logical place I'd look. It could be the tube didn't get reconnected properly or it has become clogged.

Good luck. Water leaks into the interior like this can be a royal pain to isolate, but seems like you're getting close.

Last edited:
Mine looks like on the OP (photo attached), it seems the water drains on the section indicated by red arrows. To be honest I can’t seems to locate any drain tubes as mine is pre-facelift and it has ordinary filter cartridge. The drain tubes indicated on the video are there for the facelift models. And I have not noticed any leaking although I have the pano roof…
236D7A65-A353-446F-BA1A-CFDC17D18F8F.jpeg

I have a leak that is coming in from the body frame on the driver side left panel wall. See picture. It's coming out of the little hole in the middle where there is yellow foam in it. I sprayed my car down to try and find the leak. Since my foot wells keep filling up with water after it rains. Does anyone know why the body would fill with water? View attachment 765614
Did you find the source of the leakage? I have exactly the same problem om my MS 2018

Did you find the source of the leakage? I have exactly the same problem om my MS 2018
The cowl is supposed to be attached to the windshield. It can come loose when you check fuse boxes etc as you have to move it up and down. Might try silicone caulk. Black or clear. Water is insidious. It will flow down the windshield and under the cowl. From there I don’t know how it gets in.

Hello, I have a 2019 MS Long range I just bought and just found both driver and passenger floors are soaking wet. There was a recent heavy rain.

Might be same issue, did you figure out and fix your issue??
Nope, i brought the car to tesla, they stripped the front fender, hood, side skirt from the car and sealed everything they said… cost me €1k. But it is fixed i belief

Reactions: KirkS85