Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Driving the North Cascades Highway (highway 20)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I often drive over the North Cascades highway to go mountain climbing, and this past weekend I saw a Model S driving over the pass between Marblemount and Winthrop. This pass is known for its scenery and remoteness. A Model S has sufficient range to easily make it over, but over and back is a bit of a stretch. Any of you Washington or BC Model S owners know if there are any good charging stations in the Winthrop, Twisp area? I heard a rumor that Sun Mountain Lodge may have EV Chargers, but I have not confirmed.

Either way, what a fun drive to do in a MS!!! When I buy one it will be one of my first destinations.

EVSE on North Cascades Highway

Plug-In North Central Washington is currently scouting potential host sites in Mazama and Winthrop for placement of CS-90 (240V 70A) EVSE.

Buildout.png

On my bucket list

Grew up in the Seattle area and loved driving the north cascade loop. It is still the most beautiful drive I have done and I have traveled to almost every continent on earth with the exception of Antarctica and Africa.

So driving an model S on the North Cascade Hwy is definitely on my bucket list.

On my bucket list

Grew up in the Seattle area and loved driving the north cascade loop. It is still the most beautiful drive I have done and I have traveled to almost every continent on earth with the exception of Antarctica and Africa.

So driving an model S on the North Cascade Hwy is definitely on my bucket list.
What's the full route?

The Cascade Loop is. Burlington to Winthrop, Pateros, Wenatchee, Leavenworth, Stevens Pass, Sultan, Everett. Wenatchee to Everett is well supplied with L2 and CHAdeMO L3 EVSE. Wenatchee to Burlington is not. Plug-In NCW is working to change that!

I am planning a trip to Winthrop in September and was looking for a place to charge. I called the Pine Near RV park, you can find it on the web, and talked to Anna and she indicated that I could charge there for the cost of power plus a small fee. They have teepee rentals and may have cabins by September.

I've run into a lot of TT30 only options at camp grounds out that way. there is a sheet floating around that shows how to make a TT30 to 14/50 adapter but only useful if you are camping somewhere, also good to have in a pinch... while only 30A at 110, it beats the crazy slow 12A at 110.

I've run into a lot of TT30 only options at camp grounds out that way. there is a sheet floating around that shows how to make a TT30 to 14/50 adapter but only useful if you are camping somewhere, also good to have in a pinch... while only 30A at 110, it beats the crazy slow 12A at 110.
But, doesn't the car limit it to 20 Amps at 120 volts. That is what at least one person has posted. Still, better than 12 A, and probably OK if spending the night, but not too much help if just passing through.

Pricee2: Please check the indicators on your car after connecting for five to ten minutes. Then let us know what you were able to draw. Advertised 50A service should deliver 40A at 200 - 240 Volts. The best sites are those that actually deliver 239 - 240 Volts at 39 - 40 Amps.

I believe the car will limit you to 12 Amps (15 X 80%) any time it senses 120 volts. I have a 30 Amp RV connection at my house but I still can't select a charge rate above 12 Amps.

But, doesn't the car limit it to 20 Amps at 120 volts. That is what at least one person has posted. Still, better than 12 A, and probably OK if spending the night, but not too much help if just passing through.

- - - Updated - - -

JackA: That is what I get at home-on my NEMA 14-50 outlet, 40 Amps & 239 Volts. If I charge at Pine Near RV park I will note the max charge rate and post here. It is not for sure I am going yet and it will be the last weekend in September if I do go.

Last edited: