Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dual Chargers, what do I need to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hardware needed to charge at 80 amps is either a Tesla Gen 1 or Gen 2 high powered wall connector (HPWC) and dual charger equiped Model S. The HPWC is made by Tesla but I'm not sure you can get a Gen 2 new, it is listed on Tesla site. They have the Gen 3 HPWC which is limited to 48 amp output.
Screenshot_20200426-230525.png
Screenshot_20200426-230539.png
Screenshot_20200426-230539.png

• Informative
Reactions: Fragger
Hardware needed to charge at 80 amps is either a Tesla Gen 1 or Gen 2 high powered wall connector (HPWC) and dual charger equiped Model S. The HPWC is made by Tesla but I'm not sure you can get a Gen 2 new, it is listed on Tesla site. They have the Gen 3 HPWC which is limited to 48 amp output.View attachment 536267 View attachment 536268 View attachment 536268

Great info bud! Right on point. I'll likely still go the NEMA 14-50 outlet route... I don't need the pace if the 80 amps charging given the $475 HPWC cost.. :)...

That is one of the "excuses" I used to convince myself to buy the HCWC. If considering a second UMC so you have one in the trunk as a backup, then the leap to $475 for the wall connector and just keep the current in the trunk isn't as big an expenditure as the first time you did the math.

I think everyone should have. A backup plan, and I think having a UMC unused in the trunk is a great way to go. Maybe that means buying a second UMC or just go the the HCWC and keep the one UMC in the car. Heck maybe you are lucky and the neighbors have EVs and would share a connection for a week if need be.

That is one of the "excuses" I used to convince myself to buy the HCWC. If considering a second UMC so you have one in the trunk as a backup, then the leap to $475 for the wall connector and just keep the current in the trunk isn't as big an expenditure as the first time you did the math.

I think everyone should have. A backup plan, and I think having a UMC unused in the trunk is a great way to go. Maybe that means buying a second UMC or just go the the HCWC and keep the one UMC in the car. Heck maybe you are lucky and the neighbors have EVs and would share a connection for a week if need be.

Makes sense bud, but I really don't road trip much. And my local commute is too short (shorter now with COVID-19) that it's hard to cough up $500 for an HPWC, especially since it's only Tesla specific... :-(

If your Breaker Box can support 100AMPs the Gen 2(V2) will charge up to 80AMPs depending on the capability of the car. The Gen 3 (V3) can only supply a max of 48AMPs.

so, doesn’t this increase the demand for the Gen2 over the newer Gen3? Or is there a good reason why the Gen3 was brought out that we are not seeing? I don’t have a dedicated 100amp breaker at home to take advantage of the Gen2 and hi power Model S chargers since my whole home is on a 100 breaker and 50 of it goes to my garage?

I guess I will be stuck with a Gen3 and 48amp charging speeds?

so, doesn’t this increase the demand for the Gen2 over the newer Gen3? Or is there a good reason why the Gen3 was brought out that we are not seeing? I don’t have a dedicated 100amp breaker at home to take advantage of the Gen2 and hi power Model S chargers since my whole home is on a 100 breaker and 50 of it goes to my garage?

I guess I will be stuck with a Gen3 and 48amp charging speeds?
In almost all cases, you would be able to use the mobile connector that came with your car, and get 32 A of power using a 40 A breaker, if that’s not enough, you could get the early generation UMC that will charge up to 40 A using a 50 A breaker. I just use my good old UMC at 40 A every night for the last 150,000 miles.

In almost all cases, you would be able to use the mobile connector that came with your car, and get 32 A of power using a 40 A breaker, if that’s not enough, you could get the early generation UMC that will charge up to 40 A using a 50 A breaker. I just use my good old UMC at 40 A every night for the last 150,000 miles.

What is this old UMC you speak of? I thought I read somewhere it was possible to charge at 40amps... But my car tops out at 32... I also have the dual Chargers...

The UMC that came with my pre-refresh 2016 S90D charges at 40 amps at 240 volts.

Backup charging .

I have two electric cars. A Ford and a Tesla. Each has an EVSE in the trunk. The Ford one works with the Tesla. I have three EVSEs mounted on the wall of my garage.
Leviton 16 amps, Leviton 40 amps, Tesla HPWC 80 amps. I also have a 20 kW generator in the back yard and 10 kW of PV solar panels on the roof of the house. My cars can be charged no matter what fails other than the car itself.

What is this old UMC you speak of? I thought I read somewhere it was possible to charge at 40amps... But my car tops out at 32... I also have the dual Chargers...
If your car is dual chargers then it's limited to 32 amps because of the UMC being a second gen that's only capable of delivering 32 amps. If you were to find a first gen UMC that's capable of 40 amps delivery you would see your car charge at 40 amps. Since your car has dual chargers you would also see up to 80A on a HPWC that was wired to a 100A breaker.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Fragger and SSedan
If your car is dual chargers then it's limited to 32 amps because of the UMC being a second gen that's only capable of delivering 32 amps. If you were to find a first gen UMC that's capable of 40 amps delivery you would see your car charge at 40 amps. Since your car has dual chargers you would also see up to 80A on a HPWC that was wired to a 100A breaker.

That's good info, Ostrich, per usual :)! I opted to go for a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 for now... Just wasn't worth the option to me for the extra $$$, my commute just ain't that long :)...

How can I spot the first Gen UMC? Are there any downsides to it?

That's good info, Ostrich, per usual :)! I opted to go for a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 for now... Just wasn't worth the option to me for the extra $$$, my commute just ain't that long :)...

How can I spot the first Gen UMC? Are there any downsides to it?

First Gen UMCs (there are 2 versions of the "Gen 1. The original, had a physical button cut out of the metal. The later Gen1 and Gen 2 have a touch button to disconnect from the car. Gen 1s have an adapter that is just the adapter- Gen 2 has the adapter and a pigtail. I have an extra Gen 1, I would sell if you need one. They sell for a bit more than Gen 2 since they have higher power.
Gen 1 Adapters-Gen 1 NEMA Adapters
Gen 2 Adapters-Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
For public charging, your car should also come with a J1772 Adapter-which is not used with either UMC
J1772-SAE J1772 Charging Adapter