Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Electric Frunk from Tesla Offer Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody install the newer Model S Electric Frunk from Tesla Offer in a post-facelift Model S? I just got the newer mark3 version installed but have some questions.

Where's the best place to secure the motor and control unit And how do you secure them?

One of the new struts has a small fluid leak, is it worth asking for a replacement?

Should it be connected directly to the 12v battery or is there some fuse that's better?

This one came with an emergency release loop, where should that be routed/hidden?

I put the motor on the drivers side of the frunk area. I used several zip ties to secure it along side some other thick cables in that location. I connected it directly to the battry as shown in the video. The emergency release loop is supposed to be routed through the driver side wheel well per Tesla offer. I would email Raymond About the fluid leak. He’s in the videos. I messaged him with a few questions and he replied within a day or two.

Reactions: xenodata
Anybody install the newer Model S Electric Frunk from Tesla Offer in a post-facelift Model S? I just got the newer mark3 version installed but have some questions.

Where's the best place to secure the motor and control unit And how do you secure them?

One of the new struts has a small fluid leak, is it worth asking for a replacement?

Should it be connected directly to the 12v battery or is there some fuse that's better?

This one came with an emergency release loop, where should that be routed/hidden?
I attached the motor to a cross member in front of the frunk.

Definitely ask for a replacement. I have found them to be very responsive. Whatsapp is the best way to contact them.

I connected directly to the battery. Was going to switch to a connection that more out of the way but it works fine and I left it.

I basically stashed the release loop.

I did attach the controller so that it could easily be accessed for resets or firmware updates. This way I just need to lift a side panel for easy access.

Attachments

• IMG_5048D.jpg
    IMG_5048D.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
Reactions: xenodata
Thanks for the tips! I ended up putting the motor behind the front center support and the control unit on the firewall next to the air filter inlet. I can get to it decently there. I'm going to watch the leak and if it continues I'll email them. Hopefully it just stops and I don't have to worry about putting another one in.

I was disappointed the manual was non existent and the linked video was still version 2. I did end up finding a version 3 video on an X (below) but finished before I found it. Love the system, it's the way everyone's frunk should work. :)

I like the idea of this but are there any safety concerns?
I had some concern that it could open while driving but testing (mine and others) showed that doesn't happen.

As a side note, I was in my SC yesterday (for a control arm bushing failure on my 2021 S 😢) and demonstrated the Tesla Offer power frunk. They had not seen it before and immediately said that is the way they should come from the factory. I rarely used my frunk until I installed this. Now I use it all the time.

Reactions: KyleDay
I had some concern that it could open while driving but testing (mine and others) showed that doesn't happen.

As a side note, I was in my SC yesterday (for a control arm bushing failure on my 2021 S 😢) and demonstrated the Tesla Offer power frunk. They had not seen it before and immediately said that is the way they should come from the factory. I rarely used my frunk until I installed this. Now I use it all the time.
Did they say anything about it voiding warranty? That's my main concern.

Did they say anything about it voiding warranty? That's my main concern.
I was concerned about that as well but no one said anything other than they thought it was great. Warranty was not mentioned.

If there was an issue that came up that gave them the opportunity to blame the power frunk I would probably remove it before the SC visit.

Reactions: DMateo
I was concerned about that as well but no one said anything other than they thought it was great. Warranty was not mentioned.

If there was an issue that came up that gave them the opportunity to blame the power frunk I would probably remove it before the SC visit.
I wonder if it's a "slap on the wrist" where if it ever became an issue, you could just show them it's uninstalled. I see it as more of an enhancement that the car should've had all along.