Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S existing inventory and pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about how it looks in other regions/markets but right now there are 29 new Model S's and 28 Model X's in existing inventory in the Chicago area, including many LR. Normally there are only a handful, typically all Plaid. And this is after the price drop.

What's going on? Has demand just taken a huge hit on the MS/MX, or is everyone placing a new order instead because they want the round steering wheel instead of the yoke?

Hoping to see another round of price cuts, then I might finally bite the bullet and replace my vintage P85D+.

My guess? A train loaded with S/X cars just came into your area. They’ve been unloaded and put into inventory.

check by this time next week and see how many of those are left…. That’ll give you a decent gauge.

Now for fun, search used inventory for a refresh S.

Don’t think there’s any demand issue. At all.

With the reduced pricing of the 3/Y and now qualifying for the tax credit, it makes it even harder to justify the S/X purchase.

If something happened to my S, I always figured I would replace it with another S. Now, I think I’d go with a Y. The pricing of a MYLR is just too good.

(And still get a CT.)

My guess? A train loaded with S/X cars just came into your area. They’ve been unloaded and put into inventory.

check by this time next week and see how many of those are left…. That’ll give you a decent gauge.

Now for fun, search used inventory for a refresh S.

Don’t think there’s any demand issue. At all.

31 new inventory Model S's now in Chicago (3 more since Sat). 51 in San Francisco, 50 in NYC, 19 in LA.

My money is on another price cut, but we'll see!

Reactions: Duke846 and GeoX750
Tesla's inventory search has historically also show non-delivered cars from customer orders and it's showing cars allocated regionally ... the number doesn't reflect anything that can be tied to demand. Also, just because you put in 60647 doesn't mean those cars are in 60647, they are constantly shipping cars to fill orders, they've always done it like this.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Tesla is hurting for sales right now, don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise. First the discount and now an additional $3k or 3 years free SC is a hell of a deal.
Fake news, feelings != facts.

1. They lowered prices due supply chain relief and their cost lowered, capacity increased, federal tax credits, and to pressure competition
2. They have twice as many orders so far this month as same time last year
3. Nobody at Tesla can seem to confirm the $3k/3 year free supercharging*
4. They are conservatively planning on 1.8M vehicles this year but expecting over 2M
5. They sell every unit they make
6. They have yet to spend $1 on advertising
7. Did you not see the 2022 Q4 results?

* Scouring the web now trying to find some proof of this beyond just some articles that all seem to come from the same source (Teslarati), please comment if you find something.

What's your facts?

Edit: FWIW, regarding $3k/3 year free supercharging, Tesla rep says "I asked my supervisor and he asked his and we aren't aware of any of that"

Last edited:
Reactions: henderrj and SO16
Fake news, feelings != facts.

1. They lowered prices due supply chain relief and their cost lowered, capacity increased, federal tax credits, and to pressure competition
2. They have twice as many orders so far this month as same time last year
3. Nobody at Tesla can seem to confirm the $3k/3 year free supercharging*
4. They are conservatively planning on 1.8M vehicles this year but expecting over 2M
5. They sell every unit they make
6. They have yet to spend $1 on advertising
7. Did you not see the 2022 Q4 results?

* Scouring the web now trying to find some proof of this beyond just some articles that all seem to come from the same source (Teslarati), please comment if you find something.

What's your facts?

Edit: FWIW, regarding $3k/3 year free supercharging, Tesla rep says "I asked my supervisor and he asked his and we aren't aware of any of that"

Here are my Facts…… look at their existing inventory and stop thinking with your feelings.

Your stock is safe, don’t worry. Is that Million figure worldwide?

They spent $43 Billion in advertising so just stop…. Oh and did I mention their YT channel that doesn’t advertise 🙄

Here are my Facts…… look at their existing inventory and stop thinking with your feelings.

They spent $43 Billion in advertising so just stop…. Oh and did I mention their YT channel that doesn’t advertise 🙄
I have questions:

1. What are you even talking about?
2. What existing inventory? (unless you mean the cars they stage regionally for quick delivery, they've done this for many years now)
3. What $43B on advertising?
4. What "Million" figure?

Edit: For example, this link shows cars within 200 miles of my hometown ... there are exactly zero within 200 miles of me ... this is in the entire southeast region - New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Last edited:
There will be another price cut on Model S/X. After I bought my first S in 2018, the base price proceeded to drop from over $104K to $69K over the next 2 years.

So I traded my S in at a big loss, but got a new 2020 S Raven at a great price and it came with lifetime free supercharging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sambub and T3SLAROD
I have questions:

1. What are you even talking about?
2. What existing inventory? (unless you mean the cars they stage regionally for quick delivery, they've done this for many years now)
3. What $43B on advertising?
4. What "Million" figure?

Edit: For example, this link shows cars within 200 miles of my hometown ... there are exactly zero within 200 miles of me ... this is in the entire southeast region - New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla
That link now shows 25 cars. And that link usually only shows unique builds, there may actually be multiple cars of the same build behind each car that is actually shown.

I remember in 2019 there was lots of denial here of a large drop in the price of S/X, but prices still dropped $30K.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
That link now shows 25 cars. And that link usually only shows unique builds, there may actually be multiple cars of the same build behind each car that is actually shown.

I remember in 2019 there was lots of denial here of a large drop in the price of S/X, but prices still dropped $30K.
My point was that the online inventory is no indicator of demand, using it as such is just speculation.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23

They will probably need to lower the S/X some in order to move more product because the 3/Y are a very good deal with the tax credit. Is it the “sky is falling” inventory amounts some like to portray? I think not. Inventory levels are still minuscule compared to legacy auto.

The 3/Y orders supposedly outnumber production 2:1.

The 1.8 to 2 million is worldwide.

As far as twitter goes, I “guess” one can look at the PERSONAL sale of shares by Elon as “Tesla paying for twitter advertising” but that’s a bit of a stretch. I haven’t seen any line items on Tesla paying for twitter advertising.

Doesn’t cost anything to post YT content.

My point was that the online inventory is no indicator of demand, using it as such is just speculation.

Isn't that what we're all here to do on these forums?

What I'm speculating, given the increasing number of MS / MXs in new inventory, is that demand has slowed for those cars, not all Teslas. We know that demand overall has gone up since the price cuts, but I think that's driven purely by the M3 & MY given the value at the new price points and the tax credits. It's harder to justify the extra 100% or more for the MS/MX.

The inventory cars are either demos, btw, with specific mileage and warranty end dates, or they're new and available only at specific locations, for example:

1675305859849.png

Tesla's inventory search has historically also show non-delivered cars from customer orders and it's showing cars allocated regionally ... the number doesn't reflect anything that can be tied to demand. Also, just because you put in 60647 doesn't mean those cars are in 60647, they are constantly shipping cars to fill orders, they've always done it like this.
Those cars are in Chicago. I have seen them.

• Disagree
Reactions: lowtek