Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S existing inventory and pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This whole demand thing is just speculation ... unless you have some current insider information from Tesla regarding order numbers, production and staging strategies, etc ...
I have a very good friend that his job is coordination of production and delivery. Ca gets the delivery first on S and 3” then they push out east coast cause it’s a longer travel time to deliver. They way they ship allows almost all the cars to show up in the states where you pick them up almost the same time.

Reactions: Maaz
It will say when you click on the car in the area that claims they have it. Available at this location with no transportation fee.
that means its in the inventory at that location.
Many people have ordered a car that’s in inventory somewhere in the USA but don’t realize it’s in inventory somewhere. It’s a messed up system.
I can order a car right now that’s sitting in the lot in Chicago it wont connect the car to you.

It will say when you click on the car in the area that claims they have it. Available at this location with no transportation fee.
that means its in the inventory at that location.

Here’s an example where the initial listing says Philadelphia, but when you click on the details, you can see it’s actually in Cherry Hill.

What I don’t understand are the restrictions on registration location. What’s the reason for that? And more interestingly, why list it as available in the Philadelphia area if you won’t allow it to be registered in Pennsylvania?

Attachments

• 7EF1CE42-4555-46D2-A045-5069DFD84F9B.jpeg
    7EF1CE42-4555-46D2-A045-5069DFD84F9B.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 87
  • F2AB4924-3253-437D-97F4-6DECFC9738F3.jpeg
    F2AB4924-3253-437D-97F4-6DECFC9738F3.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: David29
Here’s an example where the initial listing says Philadelphia, but when you click on the details, you can see it’s actually in Cherry Hill.

What I don’t understand are the restrictions on registration location. What’s the reason for that?
It’s got to be some sort of state law. I cannot get my car in Nebraska. I have to go to KC to pick it up.

What I don’t understand are the restrictions on registration location. What’s the reason for that? And more interestingly, why list it as available in the Philadelphia area if you won’t allow it to be registered in Pennsylvania?

This only seems to be with certain vehicles, and sometimes cars apparently can't be registered in the very state they are located. Below is a screenshot for a MS located in Devon, PA yet the text says it can only be registered in DE, ME, NH, NJ, VT. Odd.

MSPA.jpg

This only seems to be with certain vehicles, and sometimes cars apparently can't be registered in the very state they are located. Below is a screenshot for a MS located in Devon, PA yet the text says it can only be registered in DE, ME, NH, NJ, VT. Odd.

View attachment 903798

It’s quite odd. I’m just curious what’s driving those restrictions. I’ll ask around.

Reactions: David29
Fake news, feelings != facts.

1. They lowered prices due supply chain relief and their cost lowered, capacity increased, federal tax credits, and to pressure competition
2. They have twice as many orders so far this month as same time last year
3. Nobody at Tesla can seem to confirm the $3k/3 year free supercharging*
4. They are conservatively planning on 1.8M vehicles this year but expecting over 2M
5. They sell every unit they make
6. They have yet to spend $1 on advertising
7. Did you not see the 2022 Q4 results?

* Scouring the web now trying to find some proof of this beyond just some articles that all seem to come from the same source (Teslarati), please comment if you find something.

What's your facts?

Edit: FWIW, regarding $3k/3 year free supercharging, Tesla rep says "I asked my supervisor and he asked his and we aren't aware of any of that"
@T3SLAROD Let me help you break down what Lowtek is trying to explain:
1. Lowtek is spot on, you can listen to many podcasts with different spins on it, but the bottom line is Tesla is applying pressure to their competition and demonstrating pricing flexibility that is unmatched in the automotive market.
2. Infographic: Tesla's 2022 Deliveries Nearly Match Its 2012-2020 Total A good source, while it doesn't show January 2023 orders, I doubt there has been a steep decline.
3. Yeah... this was an odd one. I wonder if it is because Tesla trade-in policy is always lowballing? I traded in a Model 3 to a Buick dealer for nearly $10k more than Tesla was going to offer... so strange.
4. Tesla Revamps Strategy To Get Ahead On 2023 Production And Deliveries While I don't like to cite news articles... this is a hard number to pin down. This is a quote from Elon himself so... probably legit.
5. This is arguable. I have seen 2022s new into the end of last year, and I just haven't been digging much recently. That said, there are fewer Tesla's nation wide than most large car dealerships have on a lot... so they do quite well.
6. Lowtek is 100% correct. Source: Comparing Tesla’s Spending on R&D and Marketing Per Car to Other Automakers Now Tesla DOES spend a lot more on R&D per car... but if we isolated the R&D cost for EVs in the big ICE manufacturers I bet their numbers would be similar to Telsa if not higher. And you can argue that when Elon does stuff it is advertising sure. However, it is not the same as a marketing campaign, taking out Superbowl Commercials, etc. When Elon Does something it doesn't cost the consumer anything.
7. Yes, they are amazing!!! The ramp-up is impressive to say the least.

Why I think the inventory isn't an indicator For Model S and X only: @lowtek , and myself both have Model S' on order. I am not sure about lowtek, but there is even an exact match to my specifications in existing inventory; and I still have one on order. There is a reason for that: I don't want to spend $120k on someone else's reject, I want my car, with the most recent updates. I want to know that when I get a VIN, it is the car I ordered and I am the first to look it over. I want the new cameras, I want the updated badges, I want the new brakes. I also don't think I am an anomaly. I think most Model S and X buyers want their car, not a reject. For a Model 3 or Y this is probably fine... but you don't buy an S or X because you just want a standard car. The Model S' on the lots just make me think of that new phrase my kid says... "she's for the streets"! So sir, not paying $120k for a reject. This is of course, just my opinion.

And @T3SLAROD your comment about EV competition is a bit off imho. I may be a strange one, but I LOVE EV competition... we all win when they have to compete! Knock out the underperforming, make the big auto makers adapt or fade to black... and someone PLEASE give Tesla some stiff competition. The Mach-E is cute and all... but come on... Ford, you can do better.

Reactions: lowtek
@T3SLAROD Let me help you break down what Lowtek is trying to explain:
1. Lowtek is spot on, you can listen to many podcasts with different spins on it, but the bottom line is Tesla is applying pressure to their competition and demonstrating pricing flexibility that is unmatched in the automotive market.
2. Infographic: Tesla's 2022 Deliveries Nearly Match Its 2012-2020 Total A good source, while it doesn't show January 2023 orders, I doubt there has been a steep decline.
3. Yeah... this was an odd one. I wonder if it is because Tesla trade-in policy is always lowballing? I traded in a Model 3 to a Buick dealer for nearly $10k more than Tesla was going to offer... so strange.
4. Tesla Revamps Strategy To Get Ahead On 2023 Production And Deliveries While I don't like to cite news articles... this is a hard number to pin down. This is a quote from Elon himself so... probably legit.
5. This is arguable. I have seen 2022s new into the end of last year, and I just haven't been digging much recently. That said, there are fewer Tesla's nation wide than most large car dealerships have on a lot... so they do quite well.
6. Lowtek is 100% correct. Source: Comparing Tesla’s Spending on R&D and Marketing Per Car to Other Automakers Now Tesla DOES spend a lot more on R&D per car... but if we isolated the R&D cost for EVs in the big ICE manufacturers I bet their numbers would be similar to Telsa if not higher. And you can argue that when Elon does stuff it is advertising sure. However, it is not the same as a marketing campaign, taking out Superbowl Commercials, etc. When Elon Does something it doesn't cost the consumer anything.
7. Yes, they are amazing!!! The ramp-up is impressive to say the least.

Why I think the inventory isn't an indicator For Model S and X only: @lowtek , and myself both have Model S' on order. I am not sure about lowtek, but there is even an exact match to my specifications in existing inventory; and I still have one on order. There is a reason for that: I don't want to spend $120k on someone else's reject, I want my car, with the most recent updates. I want to know that when I get a VIN, it is the car I ordered and I am the first to look it over. I want the new cameras, I want the updated badges, I want the new brakes. I also don't think I am an anomaly. I think most Model S and X buyers want their car, not a reject. For a Model 3 or Y this is probably fine... but you don't buy an S or X because you just want a standard car. The Model S' on the lots just make me think of that new phrase my kid says... "she's for the streets"! So sir, not paying $120k for a reject. This is of course, just my opinion.

And @T3SLAROD your comment about EV competition is a bit off imho. I may be a strange one, but I LOVE EV competition... we all win when they have to compete! Knock out the underperforming, make the big auto makers adapt or fade to black... and someone PLEASE give Tesla some stiff competition. The Mach-E is cute and all... but come on... Ford, you can do better.

Tesla has plenty of competition, only those who are blind don’t see it.

Many people have ordered a car that’s in inventory somewhere in the USA but don’t realize it’s in inventory somewhere. It’s a messed up system.
I can order a car right now that’s sitting in the lot in Chicago it wont connect the car to you.
This is so true. Why they don't have a universal search is beyond me. I spent about an hour searching every Tesla SC to see who had what before I ordered my car... Of course, then my son made a joke about paying $120k for someone else's problem/reject... It is like proposing to an OnlyFans model... She may look good, but there are some issues under that hood. After about 15 minutes of laughter I was like "yep, ordering my own".

They don’t pay tax.
Tesla has plenty of competition, only those who are blind don’t see it.
name them? Name one car that can compete? Price, performance ,charging? One. Just one that does it as good.