Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Extended Warranty in Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched the Mid-Atlantic thread, the forum in general, Googled quite a bit, and even asked the folks at the Tesla showroom in DC, but I can't get the answer to this simple question: is the 4-year/50,000 mile extended warranty (I guess Tesla calls it the Extended Service Plan) available for purchase in VA?

I am giving serious thought to buying the car, and I get the sense that it might be wise, given the "newness" of the car and the many unknown costs of the parts, to buy the extended warranty. However, I have the impression that the warranty isn't available in a number of states (WA for example) and that VA might be one of them because Tesla still hasn't built the service center/dealership or that the warranty is a form of insurance which Tesla must have a license to sell, which it doesn't have yet.

Could any of the VA owners chime in on this question.

Thanks.

The Service Plan offered by Tesla is offered wherever Tesla vehicles are located - it is not dependent on which state you live in. The real question in many Model S owner's minds is whether the Service Plan saves you money or is even necessary. There are a number of threads on TMC on this topic, so search for those and read the various opinions and experiences of the Owners. My experience over the last 16 months and 15,000 miles has been that my decision to not buy the Service Plan may cost me $500 over 4 years, since my first service in Jan 2014 was about $585. If you take the $1900 cost of the prepaid service plan and divide that by 4, it comes to $475 for each annual visit. But I also do my own tire rotations and can do some of the other service items by myself (like changing the cabin air filter and topping off the fluids), so I may not take it into Tesla unless I have a problem. One of the DC area owners just hit about 60,000 miles, and he has had his car in for only one regular service! Your warranty on the vehicle is not affected by regular service, so the only incentive for taking your Model S in for annual service is peace of mind.

BTW, Virginia owners use the Rockville Service Center, so don't let that concern you (and of course Tesla is building a Northern Virginia service Center, too!). And the lack of a sales license in Virginia (as in many other states) does not affect Tesla's ability to sell cars in those states (since you buy the car online anyway!) nor maintain those cars and honor the warranty. All the hullaballoo surrounding the auto dealers fighting Tesla has affected Tesla owners (and future owners) zilch.

I have searched the Mid-Atlantic thread, the forum in general, Googled quite a bit, and even asked the folks at the Tesla showroom in DC, but I can't get the answer to this simple question: is the 4-year/50,000 mile extended warranty (I guess Tesla calls it the Extended Service Plan) available for purchase in VA?

I am giving serious thought to buying the car, and I get the sense that it might be wise, given the "newness" of the car and the many unknown costs of the parts, to buy the extended warranty. However, I have the impression that the warranty isn't available in a number of states (WA for example) and that VA might be one of them because Tesla still hasn't built the service center/dealership or that the warranty is a form of insurance which Tesla must have a license to sell, which it doesn't have yet.

Could any of the VA owners chime in on this question.

Thanks.
I just confirmed with the DC store that VA does not have a warranty restriction, and that a number of VA owners have been able to buy the extended warranty.

Also, the warranty issue is not that clear-cut in states such as WA:
No Extended Warranty in WA?

I bought both last year, and also the tire/wheel plan. (and you understand the extended warranty and the extended service plan are two quite different things. ) They are listed for purchase under your dashboard on the Tesla site after you get the car.

Docs:
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_service_plan_agreement_ot.pdf
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_ot.pdf
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_tirewheel_plan_agreement_ot.pdf

Thanks for the links. I need to review -- obviously. Bifff67, et. al, what are your thoughts on the extended warranty & prepaid service plans? Obviously, some of you have bought them so I wanted to get your rationales, impressions, etc.

Also, I don't want to the throw the thread off topic, but did any of you transfer a grandfathered hybrid license plate to your new Tesla? I know it can be done, but I just to see if you had been through the process and what it was like from a process and timing perspective.