Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Exterior: Paint Armor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hence my reply/request to ryanjm. If you're listening, please continue the conversation that you started if you can and get us some details (ideally with pricing).

Or anybody else that happens to chat with the manager at Santana Row.

Thanks!

Just get it done by a good aftermarket shop. My friend's BMW was done that way and looked great.

I originally intended to, but I'd rather have it done at the factory. Also, the 950 is less than I paid to get my R8 done around here, so it's not like I'd be saving money going aftermarket either.

They should just offer a second more expensive option 'Paint Armor Plus' That includes more coverage area. They can charge more or throw it in with the Signature cars:smile:

I second this motion.

The other advantage of getting it done in the factory is that the paint is virgin, no bug splats, grit, or anything that would need to be scrubbed off before a 3rd-party takes care of it. There's nothing wrong with the latter, but there's a certain comfort in knowing the paint under the armour is mint, if and when you decide to remove or replace the armour.

Hence my reply/request to ryanjm. If you're listening, please continue the conversation that you started if you can and get us some details (ideally with pricing).

Or anybody else that happens to chat with the manager at Santana Row.

Thanks!

I likely won't be down there again anytime soon to ask, sorry. But for what it's worth I was talking to the store *manager*, not just one of the regular sales advisers. So I'd imagine Tesla will make it happen if you want it. Who knows about price, but since company employees do read this forum, perhaps if enough folks express interest they'll offer full hood coverage in an official manner.

Also, like AnOutsider, I too paid more than what Tesla was offering for my G35's aftermarket paint armor -- and that was six years ago! So the extra amount Tesla would charge for the whole hood would probably seem reasonable to me, at least. $1200-$1400 would seem fair.

FWIW, I did reach out to my contacts at Tesla via e-mail on a few topic concerns including this one.

brianman said:
Enthusiasts on the TMC forum have been calling out the concern of two-tone paint after a few years with the paint armor. I'd like to avoid that risk. Do we have the option to get full coverage on the vehicle? If it's an additional premium (say 1500 instead of 950), I might be ok with that. I'd prefer to have Tesla "do it perfect" at the factory rather than have to rely on an after-market redo.
Tesla said:
At this time we don’t intend to offer full body paint armor.
brianman said:
Can you pass along the discussion on the TMC forum to the folks involved in the Paint Armor decisions? The whole thread is probably of interest, but definitely the posts starting with ryanjm's are focused on the full vs. partial concern.
Model S Exterior: Paint Armor
Tesla said:
Will do, thanks!

It doesn't look like more coverage will be available at this time from Tesla. Maybe later.

They do use the 3M product (I'm trying to find out if it is the VentureShield or the thicker product which I think is called ScotchGuard but not sure).
VentureShield paint protection film

I called a local installer and they are mobile so I may have them come do the entire hood when the car is delivered.