Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S EZ Pass placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
75BEB927-F55D-4BA9-A7BF-06F658A6A742.jpeg
5B0AE824-F46C-46ED-A087-54440925C8CD.jpeg
Hi,
Just thought I would share where I ended up placing my external EZ Pass tag. I had the interior tag and it was not registering, so I had the external one sent to me. All you need is 4 zip ties. I chose black ones to blend in more. I zip tied the tag under the front license plate. Thanks

I have Sunpass and my unit registers just fine next to the mirror on my new S. Same spot you used to have to put it on the old windshield with the metallic coating.

Any "refresh" model S doesnt have the metallic coating and EZ-Pass or Sunpass can be placed anywhere on the windshield, and even on the dashboard and be read easily. Common place to put it is behind the rearview so it doesnt obstruct your view.

• Disagree
Reactions: jlv1
Any "refresh" model S doesnt have the metallic coating and EZ-Pass or Sunpass can be placed anywhere on the windshield, and even on the dashboard and be read easily. Common place to put it is behind the rearview so it doesnt obstruct your view.

Are you sure about the refresh windshields not having metallic coating?

I just purchased my 2016.5 refresh model S. If so, my radar should work fine as well.....which is great news!

The Toll Roads here in Southern California just switched to using sticker RFID's for the toll lanes. It's a small sticker, barely visible, and I like it better than the large transponder we used to have before. Seems to pick up the signal through the windshield just fine, too, as I'm seeing the transponder sticker show up on my toll bills.

Any "refresh" model S doesnt have the metallic coating and EZ-Pass or Sunpass can be placed anywhere on the windshield
We have problems with both our cars with the EZ-Pass readers in upstate NY being unable to read the an internal tag. it sucks when getting off the NYS Thruway to stop at a SuC and have it not read -- we need to dispute each and every incorrect charge. I switch to an external EZ-PASS for my (refresh) S and this problem went away. We just were in that area 2 weeks ago in the X (with an internal tag) and it still happens, so we'll be going external on that car soon.

We have problems with both our cars with the EZ-Pass readers in upstate NY being unable to read the an internal tag. it sucks when getting off the NYS Thruway to stop at a SuC and have it not read -- we need to dispute each and every incorrect charge. I switch to an external EZ-PASS for my (refresh) S and this problem went away. We just were in that area 2 weeks ago in the X (with an internal tag) and it still happens, so we'll be going external on that car soon.

The trick is that you have to mount it upside down, i.e., so the E-Z Pass lettering is upside down. Someone on here took one apart and found that the transmitter is on the right side (when right side up).

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark
I have a 2016 (refresh) and thought I had mine properly placed. Looked at my account and I've got over 30 V-toll (not read) charges. Something ain't right! This is how I have it mounted.

I've seen suggestions to place it that way, which makes no sense, since the metal foil directly covers the transducer. I think it even says to use that space in the manual. No one to my knowledge has ever posted a pic showing a successful placement on windshields with that foil configuration.

The trick is that you have to mount it upside down, i.e., so the E-Z Pass lettering is upside down.
I never tried that. Going external on my S just made it work all the time without a any tricks. I suppose I'll try this on the X to see if it makes a difference, but we aren't going back to upstate NY until around the holidays, so I won't know until then.

Yes, "right side". But to the right of what: the foil, the mirror, the midline, the mirror stalk? 10 cm forward, 2 cm right laterally? Regarding turning the gadget to the right, it seems like folklore to orient it in an already unshaded area.

Go to your Tesla account on the Tesla.com site and find and open the owners manual. Page 170.

It says:
Using RFID Transponders Model S has a metallic coating on the windshield that can interfere with signals sent from RFID transponders used by many toll systems. Most Model S vehicles, depending on date of manufacture, include an area in the windshield in which the metallic coating is cut out to accommodate transponders. This area, located on the right side of the rear view mirror, is the best location to mount a transponder. If your vehicle does not include this cut out area, mount the transponder to the rear window. Note: You can also attach a weather-proof transponder to the front license plate.​

It has an illustration for it an everything. That is from the most current 2019 version of the manual which I would assume covers all year models from start to present.

I have it there for my car (a 2015 model) and it works fine. I know this because my toll tag activates the toll entrance gates to DFW airport just fine.