Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S facelift: X and E glass roofing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we all know that a pretty big update to the Model S is coming in early April. We have also seen Tesla experimenting with very large glass panels. In the X there is the large wrap around front panel, and we see the large panoramic rear windshield in the 3. I would bet that in the S update we see both features. I don't know if such a thing could be accomplished due to safety reasons, but it would definitely be very cool.

So we all know that a pretty big update to the Model S is coming in early April. We have also seen Tesla experimenting with very large glass panels. In the X there is the large wrap around front panel, and we see the large panoramic rear windshield in the 3. I would bet that in the S update we see both features. I don't know if such a thing could be accomplished due to safety reasons, but it would definitely be very cool.

How do we know a "pretty big update". Is coming in early April? I've seen the rumors but nothing concrete. Have I missed something?

Well considering the leak of the P100D and the official confirmation that their will be "price changes" to the Model S in April I think a refresh of some kind is quite likely.

However, as to the original point about the Model S gaining the X's front panoramic windscreen as well as the 3's rear panoramic windscreen, I was mistaken. It will almost certainly not have the 3's rear panoramic windscreen. To do so would mean that it would be difficult - or impossible - to have the current Model S hatchback and jump seats. I didn't think about that. If you look at the Model 3 it has a traditional trunk and not a hatch.

The article about price changes for the Model S in early April can be read here.

Edit: Anyway, you two are right we don't "know" there is an "significant update" coming. I should've said that it seem likely that their is an update coming in early April that may extend to exterior styling, dimensions, etc.

Last edited:
There's definitely some fairly significant chance that it'll happen. The P100D and Tesla will surely update the S to match the same exterior styling as the X and 3 at some point.

That is my biggest fear. I am ready to pull the trigger on the Model S and I was holding back for the upcoming anticipated update. If they change it to have the same family resemblance as the X and 3..... I don't know what I would do. Sigh...

Electrek also reported that there will be design changes in addition to price changes.
By the way, this was rumored to be the Model 3 or the Model S facelift. After the reveal I have the feeling this is the ModelS facelift, so it looks like it will get the X front.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/m3-ms-composite-png.169236/

That is actually the Model 3. You can tell by the headlights under the veil. They have the shape of the Model 3 headlights.

No that is an S. The dimensions don't match the 3. Someone on Reddit overlaid an S 3D model over the draped image and it matches precisely.

I don't think that is correct. The draped image that was matched was the image in the original Model 3 invite. The in question came from a wired article and was not matched to a Model S.

So the Model S on the left, and the shadowed vehicle on the right were match, but the veiled car in the wired article was a Model 3.

tesla-model-3-1020x610.jpg

Reactions: pr0teu5