TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S facelift: X and E glass roofing

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by pr0teu5, Apr 1, 2016.

1. pr0teu5

pr0teu5 Member

So we all know that a pretty big update to the Model S is coming in early April. We have also seen Tesla experimenting with very large glass panels. In the X there is the large wrap around front panel, and we see the large panoramic rear windshield in the 3. I would bet that in the S update we see both features. I don't know if such a thing could be accomplished due to safety reasons, but it would definitely be very cool.

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

How do we know a "pretty big update". Is coming in early April? I've seen the rumors but nothing concrete. Have I missed something?

3. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

You have missed nothing but tesla motor club folks repeating each other and calling that "knowledge" of a "refresh"....

• Like x 2
  4. pr0teu5

pr0teu5 Member

#4 pr0teu5, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Well considering the leak of the P100D and the official confirmation that their will be "price changes" to the Model S in April I think a refresh of some kind is quite likely.

However, as to the original point about the Model S gaining the X's front panoramic windscreen as well as the 3's rear panoramic windscreen, I was mistaken. It will almost certainly not have the 3's rear panoramic windscreen. To do so would mean that it would be difficult - or impossible - to have the current Model S hatchback and jump seats. I didn't think about that. If you look at the Model 3 it has a traditional trunk and not a hatch.

The article about price changes for the Model S in early April can be read here.

Edit: Anyway, you two are right we don't "know" there is an "significant update" coming. I should've said that it seem likely that their is an update coming in early April that may extend to exterior styling, dimensions, etc.

5. JeanDa

JeanDa Member

Do you all really think there will be a design change in the model S produced after April 2016 ?
    My 90D is supposed to enter production middle of April...

6. pr0teu5

pr0teu5 Member

There's definitely some fairly significant chance that it'll happen. The P100D and Tesla will surely update the S to match the same exterior styling as the X and 3 at some point.

7. James Anders

James Anders Member

That is my biggest fear. I am ready to pull the trigger on the Model S and I was holding back for the upcoming anticipated update. If they change it to have the same family resemblance as the X and 3..... I don't know what I would do. Sigh...

8. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

I say September at the earliest. Doesn't make sense to refresh in April.

9. James Anders

James Anders Member

Why do you think it doesn't make sense? I thought since they've said they're doing price adjustments in April that it made sense to do it then.

10. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Absolutely

11. marty2112

marty2112 Member

+1...

Telsa will keep the momentum going with a refresh very soon... :)

12. PaulRocket

PaulRocket Member

• Like x 1
  13. pr0teu5

pr0teu5 Member

That is actually the Model 3. You can tell by the headlights under the veil. They have the shape of the Model 3 headlights.

14. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

No that is an S. The dimensions don't match the 3. Someone on Reddit overlaid an S 3D model over the draped image and it matches precisely.

15. pr0teu5

pr0teu5 Member

I don't think that is correct. The draped image that was matched was the image in the original Model 3 invite. The in question came from a wired article and was not matched to a Model S.

So the Model S on the left, and the shadowed vehicle on the right were match, but the veiled car in the wired article was a Model 3.

[​IMG]

16. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

• Like x 1
  17. pr0teu5

pr0teu5 Member

Hmm...I stand corrected.

• Funny x 1
  18. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

No worries ;-)

• Like x 1
  19. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

So the question is if no refresh in April, will the "refresh any minute" folks who have been pounding the table for a year finally stop?

Doubt it.

We will see...

• Like x 1
  20. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

I've been guilty of pounding the refresh any minute drum since October (not a year). If a refresh or new features aren't announced by end of April I will stop.

• Like x 1