Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Fan full speed with AC on, Louvers not acting the same

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I have been experiencing some problems with my Tesla Model S. 2015 - 85D

When i turn on the AC (Temperature outside is 50-60F), the Left FAN in the front will turn on full speed (after about 30-60 sec). The right FAN will probably be running with 5-10% speed. To try and fix this I have tried to swap the FANS and I even bought a new FAN, but still the same. Left FAN will always go 100% speed, Right Fan 5-10%'ish speed.

Because this didnt help, I thought that it could be because of the louvers not opening correctly, and because of that it would tell the Thermal Control Module not to suck in air if it was closed. So i took of the front bumper and had a look. The Left louvers had been working all the time (Except for the top louver where the plastic connector broke off). The right louvers didnt work before, but after disconnecting the actuator and putting it back together it suddenly worked (Or it moves when I begin charging).

Still full speed on the left FAN and slow speed on the right FAN.

Now i took off the actuator motors (I have counted 4 total in the front) that opens from the Left and right Fans into the Center radiator. And it looks like they are working fine as well. Or they are moving when i plug in the Charger.

When I begin charging, initially all the actuator motors will start rotating more or less at the same time (I guess this is the startup test). After that, the front left and the 2 actuators to the center radiators will rotate about every 30 seconds eventhough the FANs are not on? The Right actuator/Louvers will just stay closed???

So my overall questions are:
- Why doesnt my FANs run at the same speed?
- Why will the actuators open and close every 30 seconds after the initial "startup-test", and why will the front right actuator/louver just stay closed after the "startup-test"?

I hope someone will be able to help out or point me in some direction.

Facts that I have heard.
Louvers front right and left will always open and close at the same time.
FANs will always have the same speed.

Thanks for the quick reply..

It is possible to set both front left and right temperature setting, however they are always in SYNC. And they are also in SYNC now
Hi there, as I'm facing similar problem I just want to ask, whether you have found some solution? In my case I'm just having several well knownTHC_xxx faults all related to the 4 front louvers. They don't move at all so I thought the fins will be stucked or the actuators broken, but once when I had the car on a jack I saw the to be opening and closing without any reason! But when hot outside and turning clima on or when charging on SC they don't move and both fans running at full speed.
And now after reading you post I'm wondering, maybe just the connect and disconnect of the louvers might help. Thanks for the tip! Still seems to me more like a SW bug than a mechanical/electrical issue.