Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S - FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011

General

What officially announced features are not available to owners yet?

There isn't a collated summary just yet, but there is some discussion here:
Model S Software/Firmware Updates

A quick list from memory:
  • HPWCs are just starting to be delivered.
  • Parcel shelf is largely unavailable. At most a handful (or is it just 1?) of delivered vehicles have been reporting as having one.
  • There was mention at the October 2011 event that the car would learn your routine and adjust charging schedules and such accordingly. There hasn't been much talk of that in 2012 or 2013, and there isn't even a manual charging schedule app available yet.
  • Somewhat in response to concerns of pano-roof-equipped vehicles getting too warm, a shade was announced. It was never mentioned again after vehicle deliveries began.
  • Somewhat in response to enclosed storage space scarcity in the vehicle cabin, options were announced to be available for the "Opportunity Console". It hasn't been publicly discussed for months now.
  • Premium sound systems have on-board storage for music, but it has not been enabled through the software yet.

Ordering, Production, Delivery

Can I pay for some of my Model S with a credit card?

NO, according to multiple sources reported in various threads, not even part of the payment can be made with a credit card.
Forum post: Can I pay for some of my Model S with a credit card?

What statistics do we have for 2012 reservations and deliveries?

Model S Reservation Tally
World Map of Model S Reservation Holders
Latest date
Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing
Model S Delivery Update

What statistics do we have for 2013 reservations and deliveries?

Thus far, the 2013-specific information hasn't been separated from the 2012 information. So refer to the previous question for more information.

Driving Dynamics

What are the specs on the 19" and 21" Tires?

OEM specs: 5x120 bolt pattern, 40mm offset, 64mm centerbore, hubcentric, M14x1.5 lugs with 170 N/m torque; per Jerry 33 (our resident wheel expert), don't want more than +/- 4mm on the new offset or +/- 2% on the revs/mile

Width:
19x8 for 19" wheels
21x8.5 for 21" wheels

Weights:
19" Wheels: 13.74kg ~30lbs each (according to a Tesla engineer)
19" All Season Tires: 27lbs each (according to Tire Rack for Eagle RS-A2 245/45 19")

21" Wheels: 35lbs
21" Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires: 26lbs

Battery & Charging

Does Tesla have a CHAdeMO adapter for the Model S?

Yes -- it's available for US$450 from Tesla's online store.

What are the differences between the 40 kWh, 60 kWh, 85 kWh, and 85 kWh Perf flavors?

It is not publicly know if the batteries have different weights based on capacity. There has been discussion of different chemistries, different cell count, and ballast to keep the weight consistent for safety (NHTSA) and/or efficiency (EPA) testing purposes.

The "steady 55mph, flat, no wind" ranges for the batteries are reported by Tesla as 160, 230, and 300 miles.

The EPA 5-cycle rating for the 85 kWh battery is 265 miles.

There was some discussion about the 85 Perf having thicker cables and other enhancements. Among the 40, 60, and 85 non-Perf there are no publicly reported differences regarding cabling, etc.

What's the real world range (for each battery capacity)?

Putting some numbers on the factors that affect range (Very comprehensive. Thanks ChadS).
Real World Range Calculations
Battery reserve and real world range
Real World Range Questions (Winter)

For my home charging, I'm planning on doing the installation myself. What guidance and information is available?

FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure QA

I'm taking a long trip. How do I maximize my range in this vehicle?

I'm planning a vacation, and would like to plan my route. How do I find out the active supercharger sites?

Tesla Supercharger locations - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

If I don't order the Twin Chargers when I purchase the car, can I add the second charger later?

A second charger is no longer available as a production order option. One is available in the Tesla Store for $2,000.

User Interface

Is there an iPhone/Android app for the car?

Yes, an Android app and and iPhone app are currently available. Some people who don't have those phones have begun using Bluestacks android emulation (available for Mac & PC) to access the app from their desktop.
More information about the app is here:Phone App: iPhone/Android app official release
More information about Bluestacks is here:BlueStacks emulation app thread

-- Last updated:February 8, 2013 7:16 AM

Why won't my mirrors tilt down in reverse?

Tesla side view mirrors can tilt down when you put the car in reverse, but that is not the default behavior. In order to program your mirrors to tilt down when you go in reverse, you must first put the car in reverse, then adjust the mirrors to whatever setting you would like. If you have the leather seats with seat memory, you will be prompted to save your user profile, otherwise the setting will automatically save. If you take the car out of reverse, the mirrors should return to their previous position.
Znino has some additional details and instructions if the procedure above does not seem to be working for you.

Why won't my Homelink remote pair?

Tesla's instructions for pairing your Homelink remote with the car show you holding the remote in front of the nosecone. In reality, the sensor appears to be much more responsive if you hold the remote inside the frunk, towards the floor of the frunk, close to the nose.

Can I leave my car on while I'm not in it?

If you need to leave your car on while you're not inside the car (assuming you understand the risk of leaving your car 'running' while not attended), you can do this by putting the car in neutral then setting the parking brake via the center console.

If you're at a drive-in movie with others in your car, this allows you to keep the lights off while going to the concession stand.

Does the Center console web browser play video or audio?

No, There is no support for flash or HTML5 audio or video currently.
-- Last Updated: February 8, 2013 7:20 AM

Interior & Exterior

Is the frunk cargo net included with the car?

No. These were included with Signature cars only, it is available in the Tesla Store, or can be purchased at your local service center. (confirmed by jhs_7645 via email to [email protected])

I'm having trouble deciding which color to order. Can I see some pictures to help me decide?

Model S Photo Gallery
Model S Shows Its True Colors (Photos))

There isn't a rooftop solar panel option on this vehicle. Why not?

Should Model S have a solar panel?

I'm thinking of jumping in here and helping cull/create some content. The first thing I was wondering is if it makes sense to organize the Wiki into the same groupings as the forums (Delivery & Production, Interior / Exterior, etc…) thoughts?

OK, Self reply here, I'm not liking this discussion 'forum' since it's a bit too linear for my tastes, I'm going to start an FAQ Discussion Wiki page so it can be a bit more interactive. I'll edit this post with a link back to that page once I get it up and running.