Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - FAQs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I want to make sure I understand. Currently, in my Volt, which has the keyless entry/pushbutton starter, if I'm in the driver's seat and my wife in passenger seat, and she has her key in her purse with her, and I can park, go into a convenience store (my key in my pocket), with her and the kid still in the car running with AC.

Are you saying everything will stop stop once I leave the car, even though she's still in there with her key in the S? That would suck, esp in AZ summers.

So, I want to make sure I understand. Currently, in my Volt, which has the keyless entry/pushbutton starter, if I'm in the driver's seat and my wife in passenger seat, and she has her key in her purse with her, and I can park, go into a convenience store (my key in my pocket), with her and the kid still in the car running with AC.

Are you saying everything will stop stop once I leave the car, even though she's still in there with her key in the S? That would suck, esp in AZ summers.

Dude, you leave your Tesla with the key in it at the Gas Station, and I'll be in the driver's seat next to your wife before you get back. Ha!

Um, she can lock the doors til I get back. And it wouldnt be at a gas station since I wouldn't need gas.

Anyways, it's a hypothetical. The point is, if the car's accessories (music, AC) will stop when the driver's seat is vacated, even with a second person in the car, with their key fob, that is unlike the behavior of every other remote key-based vehicle and will lead to inconveniences in some situations.

Dude, you leave your Tesla with the key in it at the Gas Station, and I'll be in the driver's seat next to your wife before you get back. Ha!

And it wouldnt be at a gas station since I wouldn't need gas.
Hee hee!

that is unlike the behavior of every other remote key-based vehicle and will lead to inconveniences in some situations.
If it's true then luckily it's a software logic change away. You may want to poke Tesla to put it on their to do list for their semi-annual software update.

Can we pull performance & charging data from the computer?

I was reading through the Roadster forums to learn about Tesla EV driving in general, and found a thread about people pulling data from their Roadster by plugging in a USB memory stick, then analyzing the data on their home computer. As a data guy IRL, this sounds really cool.

Oh yeah, I put in my reservation today as well. My Reservation number is 312,275. 10+ months and counting. :biggrin:

-Chris

How are the speakers and layout different between the Standard Sound System and the Sound Studio Package? Here's a post from KenEE from the Sound System Quality thread:

Here are the base and Sound Studio layouts side by side:

ModelSBaseSpeakers.jpg
ModelSSoundStudioSpeakers.jpg

Um, she can lock the doors til I get back. And it wouldnt be at a gas station since I wouldn't need gas.

Anyways, it's a hypothetical. The point is, if the car's accessories (music, AC) will stop when the driver's seat is vacated, even with a second person in the car, with their key fob, that is unlike the behavior of every other remote key-based vehicle and will lead to inconveniences in some situations.

If you leave the car and the passenger touches the screen, everything-A/C, radio, web, nav all come back on and stay on for quite some time. Longer than the 15 min in my experience, but I did come back near the car a couple times so it might be 15 min but reset when the fob is back n proximity. Hard to tell, but practical use has been good. All functions can be run while charging whether in the car or near it. Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a great list, thanks!

Had a couple more questions:
Has anyone tested running the car while charging (Like for A/C here in Florida Summer)?

Does the DC outlet still work when the car is off? Just while key fob is in range?

Is the key fob water proof or at least water resistant?

I asked these at Santana Row and they did not have final production answers 6/21

Key fob is not waterproof or resistant. Plastic bags and no beach solution like a valet key available.

DC charging works even once the car and touchscreen are off and you are out orange. May cut off in 15 min, but I have not confirmed.

The car accessories including A/C can be run while charging.

If you leave the car and the passenger touches the screen, everything-A/C, radio, web, nav all come back on and stay on for quite some time. Longer than the 15 min in my experience, but I did come back near the car a couple times so it might be 15 min but reset when the fob is back n proximity. Hard to tell, but practical use has been good. All functions can be run while charging whether in the car or near it. Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Key fob is not waterproof or resistant. Plastic bags and no beach solution like a valet key available.

DC charging works even once the car and touchscreen are off and you are out orange. May cut off in 15 min, but I have not confirmed.

Thank you, dmetcalf. I've adjusted the FAQ!!

Anyone else, if you see something missing/wrong on the FAQ, post or send me a message. I welcome your input.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi David,

Thanks for your responses.

Does the car come with the Tire Repair Kit or do we have to purchase it from the Tesla store?

Does the full version of the pdf Owner's Manual become available for download from your My Tesla web page after delivery?

Did your car come with floor mats?

Did your car come with the parcel shelf?

Did your car come with the cubby shelf under the main display?

Thanks.

Larry