Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Faster then a new Corvette.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure about the title of the thread.. P85 won 1 out of two races... Did I miss something?

More to the point, it has a slower quarter mile trap time in both cases - the Corvette was about a quarter second faster each time. The Corvette just had a bad launch the first time around.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Model S actually wins on the 0-60 time. However approaching the 1/4 mile mark the Model S acceleration starts tapering off.

That said, being competitive with a C7 is pretty impressive!

It's a very interesting match-up but the MS is NOT faster than the auto C7-Z51 in the 1/4 mile. What it also tells me is that the next time I'm lined up at the lights with a C7 I'll have no hesitation in taking him on :D since the difference is so small the driver can really make a difference. Also if the C7 is manual he'll very likely fluff his launch. Have a look at the The Fast Lane car review - they tried all day to get better than 5 seconds 0-60 in a manual version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJl0SW6zcZ8

Disclaimer: this is all fantasy talk, I don't actually drag race everyone I meet at the lights and I don't (yet) own a Model S.

Last edited:
That said, being competitive with a C7 is pretty impressive!

0-60 mph is fun, but dive into a corner at 140 mph and the Corvette will beat any model S. Do it 20 times in a row and the MS will simply not be able to stay on the track as the MS brakes will be too hot. And the MS motor/inverter will overheat after one lap. The C7 can do 1/4 mile runs all day, but the MS will overheat doing repeated 1/4 mile runs.

Oops, Model S top speed is 130 mph :). C7 top speed 190 mph. MS base price 70 K, C7 base price 52K.

I still love the MS. It is not a C7 and the C7 is not a MS.

I have a Model S and a C6, and I have tracked both, so I'm well aware of the limitations. I've not had my MS back down the power on repeated 1/4 mile runs, but they weren't back-to-back-to-back. I imagine if you go bonzo on it you'll get there.

Yes the Model S backs down the power after a single lap, and of course its top speed isn't as high. I'd be surprised, though, if you managed to get the brakes really hot simply because the drive train will limit you first. That was my experience, at least.

It's still very impressive that a heavy family sedan can keep close to a C7 in the quarter mile. And it would win in the 1/8th mile.

Game over when the C7 Z06 comes out, though. Reportedly it will have 620 HP and 650 torque. Ridiculous!