TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Fire - Occupants Boeing employees

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by magnet, Oct 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

#21 bonnie, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    My personal belief is we are not entitled to whatever information we want just because it is available, especially if it violates someone's privacy.

What happened to boundaries? Who CARES that these guys may or may not work for Boeing? Boeing is the largest employer in that area (around 80,000 people in Washington state). Imagine being hounded by someone who believes they have a right to bother you, after you've been in an accident.
    Show some compassion.

Tesla knows the identity of the people involved. They don't seem to believe there was a conspiracy. It was an accident.

I find this thread creepy. And not in a 'fun Halloween creepy' kind of way. But in a 'whatever happened to Baby Jane creepy' kind of way.

Let's all move on.

2. magnet

magnet Member

Model S Fire - Boeing Employees named in Incident Report

I am not allowed to post more details as both my earlier posts listing the names have been DELETED. My entire thread was deleted instead of locked...

If the media read this maybe they can investigate more on their own.

Search for the names in the incident report on linkedin in the seattle area

To find the report search google for pdf files in the last 24 hours listing Telsa and the name of the driver has report elsewhere

Please do not link to the report here or this thread will be deleted by the mods.

Remember it took 25 tons of force to punch a 3" hole the pack! The force went upwards which means a 1 in a million chance lever action.

Thanks!

3. magnet

magnet Member

No conspiracy theories please. Keep this thread clean for when the media picks it apart.

4. magnet

magnet Member

well now the owners name has been published by Tesla so the mods can calm down

but no word on which Rob he is....

5. magnet

magnet Member

Below is our email correspondence with the Model S owner that experienced the fire, reprinted with his permission:

Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 12:53 PM
    To: Jerome Guillen
    Subject: carlson 0389

Mr. Guillen,

Thanks for the support. I completely agree with the assessment to date. I guess you can test for everything, but some other celestial bullet comes along and challenges your design. I agree that the car performed very well under such an extreme test. The batteries went through a controlled burn which the internet images really exaggerates. Anyway, I am still a big fan of your car and look forward to getting back into one. Justin offered a white loaner--thanks. I am also an investor and have to say that the response I am observing is really supportive of the future for electric vehicles. I was thinking this was bound to happen, just not to me. But now it is out there and probably gets a sigh of relief as a test and risk issue-this "doomsday" event has now been tested, and the design and engineering works.

rob carlson

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There was some speculation on some unknown person's tweet where they said that. Totally bogus.

7. tftf

tftf Member

#27 tftf, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    People should not believe everything they read online. It's either that or Elon Musk must be in on this conspiracy since he quoted the customer in the fire incident in the meantime:

Model S Fire | Blog | Tesla Motors

Now what? Is TSLA's blog hacked, Elon a mole or can we finally put the conspiracy to rest?

If only people (especially people invested in TSLA stock) spent a little more on useful sites like this one from Prof. Damodaran..

Musings on Markets: Valuation of the week 1: A Tesla Test

(a few weeks old but still deserves a detailed look)

...and less on gossip, rumors and CNBC talking heads battling it out for cheap shots with no numbers or at least reasonable scenarios attached.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Old news, was discussed over here.

9. tftf

tftf Member

Yes, it was only used as an example. It makes more sense to discuss old, but highly relevant news items instead of wild rumor tangents imho.

10. magnet

magnet Member

Yes now the owner has been confirmed as Rob Carlson. What if Elon never though to ask where he works as no one else but me has until I realized both names in the incident report were of Boeing employees.

Would Elon want to know BOTH names in the incident report are of Boeing employees? This is not about conspiracy but you can bet if the Tesla employees investigating the fire knew it was Boeing employees were involved it might change how they went about their investigation.

11. bonnie

Doubtful. Not when you're talking about an area where the major employer of people able to afford a Model S is Boeing. Probably some of the first responders were relatives of Boeing employees. Bystanders, too. I have several friends in Kent. Some are Boeing employees, one is a doctor married to a Boeing employee. Their neighbors work for Boeing. Does that mean that Boeing has infiltrated TMC boards thru a moderator because I know Boeing employees? What's next? Thinking maybe Boeing decided to rig the whole thing because some of their employees purchased a Model S?

Why look for the complex explanation when there is a simple one? Why do you continue to try to make this into something bigger than it obviously is? Of COURSE Tesla was aware of the entire incident report. You were not the only person who read the whole thing.

12. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

That accident was at the freeway exit to Boeing Areospace. The accident was during the morning commute. It is likely the majority of the people on that off-ramp were on their way to work there.

The Dreamliner work is done in a different city altogether.

What the OP is implying is downright outrageous. (I'm being polite.)

13. magnet

magnet Member

It was downright outrageous what Elon did to Boeing even if he was right. In any case we don't have the full story. Please no more conspiracy talk on this thread (besides joking). I just want to get this info to the right people.

---
    The lithium ion batteries installed on the Boeing 787 are inherently unsafe, says Elon Musk, founder of SpaceX and owner of electric car maker Tesla.

"Unfortunately, the pack architecture supplied to Boeing is inherently unsafe," writes Musk in an email to Flightglobal.

"Large cells without enough space between them to isolate against the cell-to-cell thermal domino effect means it is simply a matter of time before there are more incidents of this nature," he adds.

Both Boeing and Tesla use batteries fueled by lithium cobalt oxide, which is among the most energy-dense and flammable chemistries of lithium-ion batteries on the market. While Boeing elected to use a battery with a grouping of eight large cells, Tesla's batteries contain thousands of smaller cells that are independently separated to prevent fire in a single cell from harming the surrounding ones.

"Moreover, when thermal runaway occurs with a big cell, a proportionately larger amount of energy is released and it is very difficult to prevent that energy from then heating up the neighboring cells and causing a domino effect that results in the entire pack catching fire," says Musk.

An aerospace-capable version of Tesla's battery has been developed for use in SpaceX's Falcon 9 space launch vehicle. SpaceX, also owned by Musk, competes with Boeing/Lockheed Martin joint venture United Launch Alliance for customers. Boeing has thus far declined offers of assistance from Tesla and SpaceX, says Musk.

"They [Boeing] believe they have this under control, although I think there is a fundamental safety issue with the architecture of a pack with large cells," writes Musk in an email. "It is much harder to maintain an even temperature in a large cell, as the distance from the center of the cell to the edge is much greater, which increases the risk of thermal runaway."

14. bonnie

Ummm, you're the one promoting the whole conspiracy thing. What info exactly do you want to get to what 'right people'?

15. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

This thread appears to be a magnet for conspiracy theories.

16. magnet

magnet Member

The right people = Tesla employees

I have posted to the official Tesla forum and my posts have been deleted immediately.

17. bonnie

Tesla employees already know. It wasn't a big secret. They knew before you did. So relax. As far as your posts being deleted on the official Tesla forum, we're not the boss of them. I suspect they have a general rule to keep irresponsible conspiracy speculation off the Tesla forum. I would, if I were them.

18. magnet

magnet Member

Thanks Bonnie! You have confimed a SMALL secret.

And I knew actually way before Tesla did ;)

19. bonnie

What color is the sky in your world?

20. magnet

magnet Member

stay calm and carry on. some people have no sense of irony. how sad:biggrin: