Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Firmware 5.x Bug Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S Firmware 5.x Bug Tracker

The goal of this Wiki is to collect the bugs in firmware versions 5.x.
Discussion on this FW version is here: Firmware 5.0 (Superseded by v5.6, see note below*)
First iteration of the firmware is (1.35.96)

*Note that v5.0 was issued to a limited number of cars and then halted as bugs were addressed. This was then replaced by v5.6 which is on full roll-out as of early November 2013.
Discussion on Firmware v5.6 can be found here.

For each bug we should also note whether it has been reported and whether there is a response from Tesla.

Build 1.35.76 (Version 5.5 in pre-production European spec car)

no data known

Versions of 5.0

Build 1.35.96

BUGS (i.e., the software does not do what it is supposed to do)

Display:
Seat heater UI doesn't show up in display
solve by: reboot center screen

BROKEN AS DESIGNED (i.e., the software works as designed, but the design appears broken - there is a gray area between this and a feature request... feature requests are collected in the thread Model S Software/Firmware wishlist )

Maps:
Street names are upside-down when maps are rotated (and driving South)
reproduce by: switch map into "car orientation" mode and drive South
reported: known to Tesla
response from Tesla: "this is a documented 'feature'"

Build 1.35.102​ (no changes reported compared to .96)

GPS accuracy issues reported on new deliveries

Reported issues on a German Model S:
Homelink: Because of SleepMode, it forgets the learned codes. Problem is known to tesla.
DAB (Digital Adio Broadcast) digital radio: It is loosing the audio signal, poor reception. Despite it has still reception, it shows text and pictures of the current songs, the radio keeps mute. Problem is known to tesla.
Data connections breaks from time to time. After reboot of the panel it starts working again. I used tethering with my iphone to work around.

Build 1.35.104
​ (no changes reported compared to .96)

Build 1.35.106​ (no changes reported compared to .96)

Build 1.35.107 (no changes reported compared to .96)

For each of the 5.0 builds there appears to be at least one Model S that shows the GPS "confusion" issue (or is it a compass issue?) where the car location is off or the map suddenly starts spinning around.

Given the small sample size it is unclear what specific fixes the later versions contain.

Versions of 5.6

Build 1.45.32

This version adds an option to turn of sleep in order to get faster car startup
This version fixes the "street names are upside down driving South" bug

Reported issues on a German Model S:
No improvement at all regarding bugs noted above, but charging is limited to 3x13A at each charger = Total of 26A on both, down of 32A or 20% less charging power.

Build 1.45.45

This version has shown up as OTA update for cars previously on 4.5
Differences to 1.45.32 are unknown at this point.

P85+ changed to a P85 on the dash screen and the info screen on the center console (This has been challenged as incorrect - apparently the '+' never showed up before, either)
Some UI screens reset to default during sleep mode

Versions of 5.8

Build 1.49.22

v5.8 appears to remove the automated lowering of the air suspension at highway speed -- apparently this is intentional as a response to the two fires caused by road debris; see below under 'Broken As Designed'.

Build 1.49.24

Differences from 1.49.22 are unknown at this point.

Common for all 5.8 builds:

Both .24 and .22 display a noticeably different regen behavior in standard regen mode for some but not all people who received the upgrade. Rebooting both screens appears to bring back the old (stronger) regen behavior.
There is at least one report that mentioned that the steering went from sport to soft for them. This also was fixed with a reboot.

BROKEN AS DESIGNED

Both 1.49.22 and 1.49.24 disable the automated lowering of air-suspension equipped cars to the 'low' setting at highway speeds. They also prevent manual setting to 'low' at highway speeds. There are reports from a number of drivers who (I assume on closed race tracks or the Autobahn in Germany) have confirmed that the car does lower to the 'low' setting at about 100mph and then stays low until the speed drops below about 60mph.

Were you in areas where the President or any part of his cabinet was traveling? The government will degrade the signal in localized areas as they deem necessary. Notices to Airmen will list the predicted degradation.

Never heard this one before. I don't see how they could do that from the satellite level without affecting all users receiving signal from it. Unless they generate some ground based interference, which seems like it could do more harm than good.

I got my Model S on 22nd august at the delivery event in Tilburg.
From the very beginning i had this bugs:
Homelink: Because of SleepMode, it forgets the learned codes. Problem is known to tesla.
DAB (Digital Adio Broadcast) digital radio: It is loosing the audio signal, poor reception. Despite it has still reception, it shows text and pictures of the current songs, the radio keeps mute. Problem is known to tesla.
Data connections breaks from time to time. After reboot of the panel it starts working again. I used tethering with my iphone to work around.
On sunday I installed 5.6
No improvement at all but found that charging is limited to 3x13A at each charger = Total of 26A on both, down of 32A or 20% less charging power.
Was very disappointed and upset, mainly because of lack of communication.

There was a report that on 5.6 (1.45.45 I tink) TuneIn stations that are weak but were usable before no longer come in over 3G. It's in the 5.6 thread somewhere but didn't make it to the Wiki.

I'm actually considering not updating from 4.5 to 5.6 because my favorite station is a weak TuneIn station and I don't want to lose access to it.