Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Firmware updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing was promised and nothing was said to be on hold.

I believe they can be done ota/wifi and/or a usb stick. A rep in the store made a comment to me that sometimes when they open up the store in the morning, the cars have a firmware update already done, so I'd assume that means it's automated over wifi in the stores. Although it could be through the 3G connection as well. So we should be able to get automatic updates OTA.

while we're on this topic, does anyone know how exactly firmware updates are to be done? ota/wifi? usb stick? (the dreaded) service location visit?

Roadsters need the service visit (http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/technology/firmware); with the Model S, although OTA/WiFi might be possible, I'd think Tesla would want their service reps to do that anyway to handle upgrade failures and other unforeseen problems. At best, they might allow owners to do non-critical updates OTA to the touchscreen console software and such.

Roadsters need the service visit (http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/technology/firmware); with the Model S, although OTA/WiFi might be possible, I'd think Tesla would want their service reps to do that anyway to handle upgrade failures and other unforeseen problems. At best, they might allow owners to do non-critical updates OTA to the touchscreen console software and such.

A rep in the Bellevue store told me the main reason TM wants to do home deliveries is to verify the car can connect to your home's WiFi, specifically to permit those upgrades. As for when those updates would happen, I'm not sure.

A rep in the Bellevue store told me the main reason TM wants to do home deliveries is to verify the car can connect to your home's WiFi, specifically to permit those upgrades. As for when those updates would happen, I'm not sure.

I thought someone was reporting that they might have updates somewhat regularly, every 2 months or so (in the beginning).

Yeah I'll be parking the Model S in a underground garage at my apartment complex. No way I will have wireless range down there. I'm hoping after they make us pay for 3G or 4G that they can do the updates directly through that. Or that I can download stuff and put it on a memory stick myself.

Cobos