Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Fixed Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ordered the new sunshade for the Model S Fixed Glass Roof from the Tesla online store? Trying to see if I want to go with this option or buy to have ceramic clear film installed. Thanks for your input.

Tesla — Model S Fixed Glass Roof Sunshade

Attachments

• IMG_0018.PNG
    IMG_0018.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 179
I just bought the rear sunshade. I can visually see the heat being rejected by the roof (dancing heat lines) long before that effect starts on other parts of the car. I doubt anything extra is needed but @kort677 being in Florida would know best.
I don't know what is best, but the pano roof really doesn't seem to be a problem without a sunscreen. I do have dark tint on all the other glass, and a light tint on the windshield.

for me the best parking space isn't always a close in one, it is one that is in a shady area

Reactions: Pezpunk
It was a 101 over the weekend in Houston, when we went to lunch we parked the car on tarmac in full sun. About an hour later, we kicked off cabin cooling as we left the restaurant. By the time we were at the car (3 minutes), the car was cooling well (probably around 82 and dropping fast) and it started at 105 (overheat protection is on).

Pretty much never even think about the roof being glass as I never notice much of any heat intrusion once the A/C is going. Yes it will warm up in the sun and heat, but my previous cars did that in Houston and they had metal roofs or fully shaded sunroofs. Previous cars did not have pre-cooling or overheat protection, those two features make the Model S great in Texas.

Much more heat comes in via the windshield - clear ceramic film there helps a lot . Alternatively, you could get a windshield sunshade for when you park outside.

It was a 101 over the weekend in Houston, when we went to lunch we parked the car on tarmac in full sun. About an hour later, we kicked off cabin cooling as we left the restaurant. By the time we were at the car (3 minutes), the car was cooling well (probably around 82 and dropping fast) and it started at 105 (overheat protection is on).

Pretty much never even think about the roof being glass as I never notice much of any heat intrusion once the A/C is going. Yes it will warm up in the sun and heat, but my previous cars did that in Houston and they had metal roofs or fully shaded sunroofs. Previous cars did not have pre-cooling or overheat protection, those two features make the Model S great in Texas.

Much more heat comes in via the windshield - clear ceramic film there helps a lot . Alternatively, you could get a windshield sunshade for when you park outside.
I'm definitely going to get one when I order my S. I park in full sun M-F at work and when it's 110, anything and everything will help.

I can echo the usefulness of clear ceramic tint on the windshield. It makes a HUGE difference here in north Texas.

I ordered mine and getting it Thursday. I will update on whether it makes any difference. The car can cool down quick but in 100+ degree whether when there are no clouds, the A/C is not enough unless cranked up. Don't get me wrong the roof tints works extremely well 90% of the time but on super hot sunny days. It's no match for the sun.

Reactions: Buster1