TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Fixed Glass Roof Sunshade

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Tyshawn, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tyshawn

Tyshawn Member

Has anyone ordered the new sunshade for the Model S Fixed Glass Roof from the Tesla online store? Trying to see if I want to go with this option or buy to have ceramic clear film installed. Thanks for your input.

Tesla — Model S Fixed Glass Roof Sunshade

Attached Files:

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

FWIW: many of us who live in warmer/high sun locations feel that the sun shade isn't necessary, the glass has enough tint and works well at keeping the sun out. YMMV

• Like x 1
  3. croman

croman Active Member

I just bought the rear sunshade. I can visually see the heat being rejected by the roof (dancing heat lines) long before that effect starts on other parts of the car. I doubt anything extra is needed but @kort677 being in Florida would know best.

• Like x 1
  4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I don't know what is best, but the pano roof really doesn't seem to be a problem without a sunscreen. I do have dark tint on all the other glass, and a light tint on the windshield.

for me the best parking space isn't always a close in one, it is one that is in a shady area

• Like x 1
  5. JasJ

JasJ Member

It was a 101 over the weekend in Houston, when we went to lunch we parked the car on tarmac in full sun. About an hour later, we kicked off cabin cooling as we left the restaurant. By the time we were at the car (3 minutes), the car was cooling well (probably around 82 and dropping fast) and it started at 105 (overheat protection is on).

Pretty much never even think about the roof being glass as I never notice much of any heat intrusion once the A/C is going. Yes it will warm up in the sun and heat, but my previous cars did that in Houston and they had metal roofs or fully shaded sunroofs. Previous cars did not have pre-cooling or overheat protection, those two features make the Model S great in Texas.

Much more heat comes in via the windshield - clear ceramic film there helps a lot . Alternatively, you could get a windshield sunshade for when you park outside.

6. UBQP

UBQP Member

This sunshade could also be useful in reducing the annoying reflections that follow your every head movement, especially from the back seat.

7. Buster1

Buster1 Member

I'm definitely going to get one when I order my S. I park in full sun M-F at work and when it's 110, anything and everything will help.

8. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I can echo the usefulness of clear ceramic tint on the windshield. It makes a HUGE difference here in north Texas.

9. ghouston87

ghouston87 Member

I ordered mine and getting it Thursday. I will update on whether it makes any difference. The car can cool down quick but in 100+ degree whether when there are no clouds, the A/C is not enough unless cranked up. Don't get me wrong the roof tints works extremely well 90% of the time but on super hot sunny days. It's no match for the sun.

• Like x 1
  10. Ames

Ames Member

I got it and keep it on through the summer. IMHO it looks nice and adds positively to the ambiance of the interior, esp. if you have a black alcantera headliner. The sunroof still works with the screen in place.

• Like x 1