Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S floor mats in Tesla Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla: Just throw in the rear floor mats. And the cargo net. Stop the the nickel and diming. Maybe we should make a "things Tesla is being unreasonable about" thread to bring attention to these things.

+1

That's another annoying difference between Tesla and established automakers. When you order a car there (at least that is what I and people I know have experienced in the past), you do a little negotiating at the end of the configuration process and not only do you negotiate a sizeable discount but some goodies they throw in for free as well (floor mats, branded umbrella, cargo set, and the like). Of course all of that is calculated into the original prices before you even see them, but it gives you a whole different feeling than saying: here is your base price, these are your options, here is your final bill (non negotiable). And even after having bought a car with no possibility of a discount (which is like a sport here - who can negotiate the biggest discount when ordering a car, who get's the best bargain?), you are nickel and dimed for things that should be free on any car, let alone one of that is supposed to be of the "premium" category, like a measly cargo net or proper floor mats.

Big minus for that kind of business practice.

Last edited:
Set of front/rear floor mats ordered from Tesla arrived. I ordered them when I was visiting family and meant to ship them home but they went there. Will post pictures when they arrive here if no one has done that already.

+1

That's another annoying difference between Tesla and established automakers. When you order a car there (at least that is what I and people I know have experienced in the past), you do a little negotiating at the end of the configuration process and not only do you negotiate a sizeable discount but some goodies they throw in for free as well (floor mats, branded umbrella, cargo set, and the like). Of course all of that is calculated into the original prices before you even see them, but it gives you a whole different feeling than saying: here is your base price, these are your options, here is your final bill (non negotiable). And even after having bought a car with no possibility of a discount (which is like a sport here - who can negotiate the biggest discount when ordering a car, who get's the best bargain?), you are nickel and dimed for things that should be free on any car, let alone one of that is supposed to be of the "premium" category, like a measly cargo net or proper floor mats.

I, too, am disappointed about the lack of floor mats, but with I high demand car like this, I don't think we should expect any negotiation of price/options. The first Prius I bought was in 2006 when demand far outstripped supply. At that point, if you could find a dealer willing to sell at MSRP, you were lucky. The dealer I bought from had one car on the lot, I walked in, handed him the check, said thank you, and drove away.

I, too, am disappointed about the lack of floor mats, but with I high demand car like this, I don't think we should expect any negotiation of price/options. The first Prius I bought was in 2006 when demand far outstripped supply. At that point, if you could find a dealer willing to sell at MSRP, you were lucky. The dealer I bought from had one car on the lot, I walked in, handed him the check, said thank you, and drove away.

Well, that's a big difference. Here, most people don't walk into an dealership, see a new car, and buy it off the lot. Second hand cars sure, but not new ones. Most dealers don't even stock new cars for sale on the lot anyway. Dealers here normally have a few showroom cars (not even with a licence plate, just to see the type and sit in it, test some features, get the look and feel etc.) and some that can be at least made ready for a testdrive. But once you know what type/model you want, you sit down with your dealer at his desk and configure the car you want to order. After finalizing the configuration, the price and discount negotiation happens, after which you sign the purchase/order contract and the you go home - without a new car. That is delivered a couple of weeks/months later, depending on supply/demand/availability - much like Model S in that respect. My BMW for example took only four weeks between ordering and delivery, whereas our VW Touran took nearly seven months!
Both of which were delivered with proper floormats in front, rear and trunk by the way - at no extra charge I might add.

+1

I reckon having a fixed price, rather than pricing each buyer individually is well worth the price of the mats and other goodies that you might get "free". Having to negotiate with some salesman basically means you get screwed even if you get a so-called "good deal". There is no excuse for that kind of a business model these days.

I reckon having a fixed price, rather than pricing each buyer individually is well worth the price of the mats and other goodies that you might get "free". Having to negotiate with some salesman basically means you get screwed even if you get a so-called "good deal". There is no excuse for that kind of a business model these days.

+1

Getting ripped off with an option to verbally spar to try for a reasonable price and perhaps even a good one is not a business model someone should be defending.

Depending on your hourly wage, negotiation is sometimes a net loss.
Further, there are health downsides to the stress from negotiation and post-negotiation friends & family discussions.

There's a good discussion of the retail business model over here: How long will Tesla's current retail model be feasible?

Let's leave this thread for talking about mats, please.

Thanks for the link. And agreed, I didn't want to take this too far offtopic, but at least I had to reply to one comment:

- - - Updated - - -

You don't understand how it works here. Of course there is a fixed price for every model on the market. Many people who are not interested in negotiating pay that so called "list price". But many others go on to say to the dealer "how much of a discount can I get" or somesuch phrase. (Which isn't really a very stressfull thing to do.)
Don't get me wrong, not every dealer will offer a huge discount, as it cuts into his already not too exuberant profit margin, but most will do, because they know that it is better to sell a car at a low margin than to not sell a car at all! Plus, often manufacturers even encourage offering discounts, for example when a new/replacement model is about to be launched and they want to sell off the old model. I mean otherwise who would order e.g. a Golf VI in August 2012 when they know that the new Golf VII will launch only a few months later?

But now, back on topic.

Which is the point at which I repeat to say that I think not even offering rear floormats as standard on a car of that price category is annoying to say the least. But of course the business model of Tesla will have to stand the test of time anyway. We'll see how it fares...

Last edited:
Tesla mats arrived this morning. I ordered the front and rear.

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

Are they nicer than the Lloyds?

I have the Lloyds Ultimats in Black for the interior as well as frunk and trunk. I think they look just as nice as the Tesla mats at nearly half the price, but without the logo. Of course, it would be best to see a side-by-side comparison, but I have not seen the Tesla mats in person. You can see pictures of the Lloyds mats in various colors and styles in the following thread:

Lloyd's mats have arrived: photos