Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S folding mirror upgrade or add ambient lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone interested in upgrading to folding mirrors? I have performed this upgrade to my own 2013 MS and it works perfectly. Takes about a day to install. Once complete it works the same as a car originally equipped with factory folding mirrors. Mirrors fold when handles retract or you push the fold button on the drivers door. Mirrors unfold when you open a door or press the button again.

Parts required are:
Both power folding mirrors (any color)
Both front door wiring harnesses (from door with folding mirrors)
Driver side control panel (so you have the folding mirror switch)

You can source the parts or I can. Can be any color as the painted part is interchangeable between mirrors. Work to be performed at my location in Surprise Arizona.

Besides needing to remove the interior front door trim, part of the dash must be disassembled to access and log into the center console for the software config change.

I can also add ambient lighting or "flip the switch" so your existing wiring will work, allowing you to install your own ambient lighting. Option will be available on the touch screen.

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal and Cowby
I'm not local to you, but how much are you offering this service for? I was quoted around $900 from my local service center for the retrofit, including the parts. My car already has the proper harnesses.

Depending on what needs to be done for the mirror replacement I would figure in the $300 to $500 range for labor. Parts needed will be at cost or you can provide them yourself. Not having to replace door wiring will definitely put it near the lower price point.

Is there a vin cutoff point? I thought that I had read that a 21xxx p85+ with a Sept 2013 build date should have the harness.

There is a cutoff point however I don't know the exact vin #. If you have the updated wiring then it will be cheaper both in parts and labor, but might not be a big savings over Tesla's price. This is mainly for people who Tesla wont do the upgrade for or salvage cars. Mine that I upgraded is a salvage March 2013 build, so I had no chance of Tesla doing this for me. I used the parts from a late 2014 build to upgrade mine.

If you have a non-salvage car you might be able to order the parts directly from Tesla, even if they won't install it. Many times used parts cost more than new due to the blacklisting of salvage cars...

Digging this thread up. I have a 2013 P85 that I bought used 6 weeks ago.
My can has the switch for power folding mirrors, but nothing on the screen showing an option for folding the mirrors from the screen.
I'm guessing that my car doesn't actually have power folding mirrors.
Oh my build is 03/13 and VIN is P06XXX

It definitely wouldn't be stock. Either the car was upgraded or the switch was swapped out. Anything happen when you push the button?

There isn't a button on the screen to fold on demand. There is only a setting for fold when locked.

If you are near me (AZ 85379) I can always take a look and give you price to finish it if its not done.

Reactions: AZP85
Anyone interested in upgrading to folding mirrors? I have performed this upgrade to my own 2013 MS and it works perfectly. Takes about a day to install. Once complete it works the same as a car originally equipped with factory folding mirrors. Mirrors fold when handles retract or you push the fold button on the drivers door. Mirrors unfold when you open a door or press the button again.

Parts required are:
Both power folding mirrors (any color)
Both front door wiring harnesses (from door with folding mirrors)
Driver side control panel (so you have the folding mirror switch)

You can source the parts or I can. Can be any color as the painted part is interchangeable between mirrors. Work to be performed at my location in Surprise Arizona.

Besides needing to remove the interior front door trim, part of the dash must be disassembled to access and log into the center console for the software config change.

I can also add ambient lighting or "flip the switch" so your existing wiring will work, allowing you to install your own ambient lighting. Option will be available on the touch screen

Where is the shop?