TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S for renters (a.k.a. non-homeowners) / Renting creating hurdle for EV adoption

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by onlinespending, May 17, 2012.

1. onlinespending

Thanks for the info. Ideally I can find a place that has outlets already in the garage that can deliver more than 15A. If not, I'll simply have to find someone willing to allow me to make the upgrade, which as you said shouldn't be terribly tough to find since it's a free upgrade to him (but I worry as soon as you mention messing around with the electrical system that they'll immediately be worried about you burning the place down). This also pretty much precludes me from renting an apartment, and would have to set my eyes on a house. Also, if I move around fairly often the hassle and cost of making this electrical upgrade a few times could get old. All things I have to consider!

2. richkae

richkae VIN587

You should be able to find an electrician who will install a simple outlet for the price of a couple tanks of gas.

think of a tank of gas as the new monetary unit.

3. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

Owning is for people who can buy their house outright. (I could so I did.) I ran the comparative numbers a while back and it's usually cheaper to own (property taxes + insurance + utilities + repairs) than to rent (rent + utilities) but cheaper to rent than to mortgage (mortgage + property taxes + insurance + utilities + repairs). (Of course if you expect to pay off the mortgage in 10 years and then live in the house for another 20 years, you're probably better off buying, because of that last 20 years.) The old principle: don't borrow if you don't have to and borrow as little as possible. Banks make a lot of money on the difference between loan rates and savings rates.

4. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Going OT here, but, neroden, I think owning does offer some intangibles such as quality of life. In areas like the SF Bay Area, renting an equivalent house (if available to begin with) is almost on par if not costlier than owning the same if the mortgage is reasonable. And, for W2 slaves such as myself, the mortgage helps offset the adjusted gross income for AMT purposes.

onlinespending, yes, electrical upgrades can scare some landlords away (particularly if they see sensational news on the lines of "EV burnt down Sugar Land, TX home!"). Good luck there.

5. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I want to add that buying a house, even with only 3.5% down and a 30year fixed mortgage, is cheaper than renting near me. I pay about as much as my 3 bedroom apartment, as I do for my 4 bedroom house, on 1/2 an acre, with a fence for my dogs, and a garage for my car.

I bought a house before I really needed it because it was cheaper than renting. It really depends on where you live whether or not buying is right on not. Plus I can drill holes in my walls without wondering if I will be able to hide them to get my $250 deposit back.

6. onlinespending

#26 onlinespending, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
    Yeah, let's not make this a rent vs. own thread. If it wasn't for the government subsidizing home ownership it'd be fairer comparison (of course, house prices would drop substantially in a fair market system without huge tax deductions they give people to borrow money for a home). But even still I contend it's historically not a sound investment when you consider inflation. It should be a decision you make because of lifestyle needs and quality of life, as GG mentioned. It's the same reason I do not want to own a home, because I like to move around and home ownership doesn't work with my lifestyle. Once I start a family it'll be quite different.

But I digress. I still see this as a major hurdle for EV adoption. The Model S is clearly priced at a point where it would be bought predominately by homeowners. But for the lower-priced, and lower range alternatives, such as the Leaf, which are ideal for city driving, it just doesn't mesh well with the city parking infrastructure. EVs are sadly best suited for suburban garages :)

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I think this will change as EV's become more predominant. Competitive market forces will require apartment, condo, and other real estate developers and builders to add charging facilities and capabilities to their new developments and to retro-fit existing ones. Owned or rented? It won't matter. It's not a question of if, but when, and hopefully the when will come soon.

It's already happening in a number of commercial facilities and parking lots, even though the number of EVs on the road is not that high. The market is anticipating the inevitability of it all.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Make that one of the things you look for in a house to rent. Look for a house with the breaker box in the garage already. That means adding a NEMA 14.50 outlet should be very cheap. You can tell the owner you'll pay for it and they can pick the electrician they trust. Hopefully it works out for you.

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Do you have a photo?

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#30 artsci, May 19, 2012
    Last edited: May 19, 2012
    Here are photos of the set up. The EVSE mounts on the green post when charging but the whole assembly is quickly dismounted and put away when not charging. With the Astroturf covered plug for the post hole, the installation is stealth when not set up to charge the car.

DSC_0536.JPG

DSC_1541.JPG

DSC_1542.JPG

DSC_1544.JPG

DSC_1545.JPG

• Informative x 1
  11. onlinespending

That's an awesome setup. So you leave the post and all in your car when not charging. Very slick.

12. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Slick indeed! Very creative too.

Btw, any worries that all of that can be stolen if you are not sitting around waiting for the charging to be completed? Isn't that another issue with a rental, on-street parking situation?

Less of a problem with the Model S, I suppose, as the UMC would stay locked into the charge port if there's no keyfob nearby...

13. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The Volt can be set to turn on an alarm if the plug is removed while the car is charging. Plus I live in a very safe neighborhood.

When the post is removed it's hidden under a large bush in the front yard, not stored in the car.

When I get my S I'll make a new stand/post for the high power wall connector, which is safe to use outdoors (I asked Tesla).

14. de704

de704 XP268

I'm in the process of buying a house just so I have a place to charge my Model X. I made sure there was good garage clearance too.

Buying a house for a car is kinda backwards, but that what it takes to drive the best. So that what I'll do.

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

My concern would be about lawnmowers. Gardeners are notorious for mowing off sprinkler heads and they (supposedly) know that they are important for lawn care. That PVC piece and astroturf seems destine for the shredder.

Still cool though.

17. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The lawn is mowed every week. Nothing has been damaged because it was designed to sit low enough in the grass that mover blades wouldn't touch it.

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Until someone decides to trim back for the season...

I hope it works well for you!

19. NMRjanitor

NMRjanitor Member

I am both a renter and a Model S driver- went through the hassle of dealing with my landlord's HOA and I finally spent a fair amount of money on a NEMA 14-50 outlet by my assigned parking spaces, fed through conduit from my rented condo's sub-electrical panel (so I am paying for the electricity I use to charge my car (via TOU-2 billing, of course), I am not letting everyone else "share" my "fuel" expenses). But as my electrician was wrapping up the work, I happened to meet a lovely woman (who is also interested in trading her Lexus RX-330 for a Model X or a Rav4 EV) who lives in the condo complex next door, and now we are in the process of me getting out of my lease early followed by me moving in with her. But where on this site do I advertise my apartment/condo for rent/lease? Do I start a new thread? This thread was the closest to it that i could find... Suggestions welcome, please.

20. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Congrats on getting the charging to your condo as that isn't easy. This really isn't the site for selling real-estate so would probably use the various other sites frequented by people looking for homes.