TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S for young drivers

Discussion in 'Model S' started by demundus, Mar 8, 2016.

1. demundus

demundus Member

My g/f and I got into a discussion last night about what it takes to drive the S. She is mostly afraid of wrecking it, and won't drive it herself for a multitude of reasons. She also said "would you let your 16 year old drive it?", which is a hypothetical because I'm 28 and have no kids... but I had to give it some thought! Here were my pros and cons for young drivers, and I was interested in people's opinions, as I'm sure some of you out there are parents with kids in the "new driving range":

Pros:
    Incredibly Safe
    Can see where the car is at all times, along with speeds and general acceleration info through the app
    Can control the car in some capacity (mom i lost my keys!) through the app
    Large, easily visible to other drivers
    Lots of tech for "improved" driving (collision assistance, lane departure, etc)
    Good hauling capacity for any activities, instead of loaning the family SUV out!
    Ability to limit speed and acceleration through Valet mode
    *obvious Tesla benefits like no gas and superchargers

Cons:
    Expensive, to own AND replace AND fix
    Large, hard to know boundaries of the vehicle
    Lots of tech for "distracted" driving
    Fast and powerful, if no valet limiter is used

One of the things I thought was most interesting as a pro, was enabling valet mode for teenage driving. I'm sure there are some cons to that, or it would make a parent uncomfortable, but it seemed like a creative way to place a governor on the vehicle without impeding its ability to function.

Thoughts? :)

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Umn... I did a lot of stupid @#$% when I was 16. So no, my kids wont be getting a Model S. I'm in my 30s, and I still do a lot of stupid @#$%.

- - - Updated - - -

I could probably go through the <=10,000 combinations in a day to turn off valet mode. So unless there's a lockout after 5 invalid attemps, valet mode doesn't prevent a teen from finding the combo.

3. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

Add to the Cons:
    A teenage driver frequently goes and parks places frequented by other teenage drivers.

My son has had his license for 8 months now. He's a very risk averse person by nature, and drives very conservatively (report the neighbors who've seen him driving around without us in the car). Even he hates parking many of the places that he has to drive because he doesn't trust many of the kids who park and drive around him to make good choices.

4. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I'm with Max.

If I were a parent who could afford to get a car for a 16 year old, it'd be a Smart ED. Two seats means no goofing off with a group of friends. Limited battery and range means no going for long range joy rides. Yet it's still peppy and fun to drive (so people on this board have said). Costs are fairly low compared to an ICE.

Say, get a 3 year lease and it'd be a decent "starter car."

5. demundus

demundus Member

I think the main con is the price, I get that. Who would spring for a 75K car for a kid? Probably sends a terrible message to the kid and anyone around the kid. But I was really hooked on the idea of using Valet and the app to put a parental box around the "freedom" that comes with a car and drivers license. Thus I had to consider all the cons/pros at that point :wink:

6. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

2 words - Model 3.

7. tga

tga Active Member

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but what the hell...

Kids should be relegated to the oldest, most beat up car in the household. If their parents feel the kid needs/deserves his/her own car, it should be a 10 year old POS.

I knew several kids in high school whose parents bought them brand new BMW 3's to drive. Let's just say that firmly directed their child down the road of becoming an entitled douchebag.

8. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

4 words - High School Parking Lot

It doesn't matter what it is. If you're not comfortable having it driven there and parked there, it doesn't make sense for a kid to have it.

9. tga

tga Active Member

+1000!!!

I was pretty responsible (but immature) at 16. I still got in a couple of accidents (totalled Mom's station wagon, and crunched the taillight of the replacement).

And I still do stupid @#$% in my 40's, so don't expect to outgrow it. :tongue:

10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Good point.

Among my group of friends in high school, there was only one guy who had a car. An used AMC Gremlin, which he had a job working at McDonald's to pay for it.

11. demundus

demundus Member

Onboard with that sentiment. Just didn't want to speculate it was going to have the same safety rating, and features that the S had. If it held true though, much better candidate I agree :)

12. skilly

skilly Member

not a chance that I would give my kid a Model S as his/her first car. They are all but guaranteed to get in a fender bender. With that in mind, a safe, cheap car is the most logical option. I like the European car they marketed to the new driver...the Ford Ka. In its initial release, they didn't paint the front or rear bumper covers because they were selling them as disposable. They fully realized that the new driver was going to mush one end or the other. Scrape an S in the typical fender bender and it will cost more in repairs that most starter cars cost.

13. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

My son commented how easy it was to drive and park my Smart ED. He hasn't asked to drive the Tesla, because he knows that's 'not happening'. Agree that a small safe low range, low passenger count car is a good pairing for a new driver.

14. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

Non-luxury, safe, EV would be ideal. The Model S is the same as having you child drive an S class or 7 series. To each their own.