Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Founders (#15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm interested in selling my Model S Founders Edition. It was fifteenth car off the line. It has 85k miles on it and is in good condition. I have no idea how to value it. Kelly Bluebook not so helpful since you can't even indicate Founders.

Any suggestions or sense of ways to value it?

It is hard to find buyers who will value that higher than any other 2012 Model S. Not saying they don't exist, but it's hard. There was a guy trying to sell one with much lower miles some time ago and it was a tough road for him. Don't recall how it worked out though. While your car is low miles for it's age, it isn't low miles for a collectors item.

If your patient enough maybe?

I agree with @Target -- I don't think your Founder's edition will draw any premium over any other non-founder's example from the same year.

Tesla has sold 4 MS Founder's cars in their CPO program and their sold prices are in-line with non-F cars.

Here's F00022 with 51k miles that sold for $30k -- but that was four years ago.

upload_2021-2-28_9-48-52.png

F00029 (47k miles) sold for $53k, but that was five years ago (2016)

Here's one more non-Founders 2012 Model S P85 that sold two years ago for $39k but with 48k miles.
This is the most recent 2012 Model S listed/sold in Tesla's CPO program. So today's prices need to be adjusted for that time.
upload_2021-2-28_9-56-20.png

The absolutely most recent P85 sold was a 2014 model with 55k miles sold for $36.8k four months ago. And that car has AP1 and many updated features (parking sensors, folding mirrors, etc) over the 2012.
upload_2021-2-28_10-2-34.png

So selling a similar Founder's car in 2021 with 85k miles? I think getting any premium for that in 2021 is going to be a uphill battle. But maybe there's a buyer out there looking for such a car. It would help a lot if you could post detailed photos and features of the car.

Good luck with the sale.

I agree with the comments above. Finding someone willing to pay a premium for a Founders Edition car won't be easy. Those that may be willing to do so would likely also be looking for a very low mileage example. Things may change decades in the future when these cars become "classics" but for now, they are basically going to be valued the same as comparable non-Founders cars.

It is hard to find buyers who will value that higher than any other 2012 Model S. Not saying they don't exist, but it's hard. There was a guy trying to sell one with much lower miles some time ago and it was a tough road for him. Don't recall how it worked out though. While your car is low miles for it's age, it isn't low miles for a collectors item.

If your patient enough maybe?

Yup. Totally get it. You don't happen to know what the other seller was asking do you?

I agree with @Target -- I don't think your Founder's edition will draw any premium over any other non-founder's example from the same year.

Tesla has sold 4 MS Founder's cars in their CPO program and their sold prices are in-line with non-F cars.

Here's F00022 with 51k miles that sold for $30k -- but that was four years ago.

View attachment 640660

F00029 (47k miles) sold for $53k, but that was five years ago (2016)

Here's one more non-Founders 2012 Model S P85 that sold two years ago for $39k but with 48k miles.
This is the most recent 2012 Model S listed/sold in Tesla's CPO program. So today's prices need to be adjusted for that time.
View attachment 640662

The absolutely most recent P85 sold was a 2014 model with 55k miles sold for $36.8k four months ago. And that car has AP1 and many updated features (parking sensors, folding mirrors, etc) over the 2012.
View attachment 640663

So selling a similar Founder's car in 2021 with 85k miles? I think getting any premium for that in 2021 is going to be a uphill battle. But maybe there's a buyer out there looking for such a car. It would help a lot if you could post detailed photos and features of the car.

Good luck with the sale.
Helpful. thanks.

Reactions: EV-CPO
I agree with the comments above. Finding someone willing to pay a premium for a Founders Edition car won't be easy. Those that may be willing to do so would likely also be looking for a very low mileage example. Things may change decades in the future when these cars become "classics" but for now, they are basically going to be valued the same as comparable non-Founders cars.

Founders edition cars will become valuable no matter what the mileage and low mileage ones will break the bank thirty years from now unless, by then, all cars are worthless and vintage iPhones are worth a fortune.

I know someone who bought Model S signature 7. I believe it was Steve Jurvetson's car. New owner said he sold it to someone in Saudi Arabia. Might want to think about some of the collector car sales avenues

Didn’t Jurvetson get Founders #1?

Side note, I’d take 1 mil for my F11 if there’s a Saudi Prince lurking around here...lol