Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Front Bumper Refresh Instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I just finished doing the bumper refresh and will not sugar coat this sh**. i have attached a .pdf which has almost all the things that you may find necessary to do the conversion. the schematics are missing the lower grill duct & under bumper tray.
Here's what I did: Bought a bumper from ebay locally ($225) then went to local auto paint shop and purchased paint matched primer, PPG base, & clear coat ($300).I was quoted $1000 to do this and it pissed me off so I decided to do it myself in my garage . Got the bumper home and had to seal up the parking sensors-so I used my plastic welder with metal mesh on back side until flush (1.5 hrs). Followed by using plastic filler to make it super flush after sanding (0.5 hrs). Sanded the entire bumper with 220 grit sand paper then sprayed primer over the whole thing--and sanded (3 hrs). Sprayed 4 layers of base coat then sanded with 600 grit the next day (3 hrs). Sprayed 3 coats of clear then sanded with 600 grit next day (3 hrs). Sprayed 3 more clear coats and sanded with 1000,2000, then buffed with polishing compound until glassy. Finally bumper is painted!
Pulled the car onto my ramps and easily removed the bumper with 10 mm bolts, 2 torx screws, and a bunch plastic holders (20 min first time ever). There's a center radiator plastic that needs to be removed fromt he car as well (2 min). Removed the louvers from each side (torx screws) then the fog lights. Installed the fog lights on the new bumper and attempted to do the louvers but the hole is not the same (that's what she said). I had to cut away the new bumper hole to make it more shallow and used the old bumper as a template (do not freestyle it!). After getting and acceptable fit- I had to plastic weld 2 mounting screw holes for each side louver closest to the center line of the bumper. there are 4 total (2 screw into the fog light) center 2 are non existent. At this point I realized this kind of stuff is all about problem solving (4 hrs). Bumper is ready!
Mounted the bumper (5 min). Done! I will upload some pics of what I did later. Hope this helps wrap your brain around whats needed. This should be considered enjoyment BTW b/c a lot of time was spent sweating in the garage.

Attachments

• tesla schematic.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,490
attached are the unrestricted parts I ordered for $259. i didn't order the lower grille duct ($179) nor the under bumper plastic b/c I waiting for them to appear on ebay for a reasonable price.

Attachments

• tesla parts.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 936
  • Helpful
Reactions: DA808EV
upload_2018-6-5_11-9-3.png

• Informative
Reactions: RoninAMG
attached is the pic of the modification that needs to be done to the new bumper due to its depth. this was before i cut into the bumper to make it look like the old one so the louvers would fit.

Attachments

• tesla bumper pic.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,090
here are the .pdf's again.

Attachments

• tesla parts.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 566
  • tesla bumper pic.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 367
  • tesla front bumper pic.pdf
    27.9 KB · Views: 424
  • tesla bumper pic.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 318
  • tesla schematic.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 446
Brotha, I love your willingness to help us! I am sure this will help tons of people...but... we cannot see the pictures you are posting. If you can, please figure out the picture situation and post again. That will help a lot.

Whats weird is i can see them. Can anyone tell me what file format should the files be uploaded in. I've tried .pdf, .jpeg,.tiff, .gif, .png & am about to stop posting because of this b.s. If someone wants to upload them for me I can email you all the files.