TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Front/Rear Camera Switch

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by kevincgreene, Apr 23, 2017.

1. kevincgreene

kevincgreene Member

About a year ago I obtained all of the parts via this forum and elsewhere to add the front camera to my Model S.

More info here: Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit - SOLD

My newborn and multiple trips to the service center for issues with my Model S never allowed me to get it installed. We have decided to trade-in our S for a Model 3 as soon as our reservation arrives. As a result I am putting this up for sale.

I think I paid about $650 for everything which includes:

Camera Switch
    Tesla Camera (Tesla Part 1006773-00-E AA)
    2 remotes
    Assortment of cables and brackets
    Power Probe, Tap its and wire for connecting to the reverse wire.

I also have the instructions. I think that is just about all you will need to do the install. Make me an offer. Thanks.

IMG_20170423_220237.jpg

2. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I'll pay $500. email me stevev at family15 dot com

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. This is the best mod ever for Model S!

Congrats to whoever gets it. It's well worth the cost and pretty easy to install. For powering the unit, I highly recommend getting one of these to use the OBDII power port, make the install even easier:

Amazon.com: GPSit OBD II OBD2 Power Adapter Harness: Car Electronics
    upload_2017-4-24_7-9-44.png

• Like x 2
  4. Got-EMF

Got-EMF Member

If pilotSteve doesn't work out, I'll take it. Eight three two two two one six nine six zero. Thx.

5. kevincgreene

kevincgreene Member

6. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

HLR, I agree with you 100%. I just wish I could id the primary wires for connections on my 90D. I removed it from my '13 and can't get it to work on my '17.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Which primary wires are you referring to? The camera, power, or reverse?

8. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Well actually - both. I can tap into the OBD-II for power, but it would be nice if there was a more "artsci" way than that. However, the Reverse is more important to get the change view affect, that we both enjoy. Let's see, it was purple with red stripe on the '13's.

The harnesses and connectors are so completely different on the newer models such as the late '16 and '17. You can't even sneak a peek with a power probe into the backside of the connector because they are sealed.

This so far is the my only regret in moving to a newer car. (Well, that and the $ 40+K it cost between $$ gave up on selling the '13).

HLR, really appreciate your help with this.

9. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I know when I re-installed it on my '14 P85D, the color for reverse was totally different that the instructions, but the location in the connector was the same. Can you unwrap the wires going to the connector to try by trial-and-error to find the reverse lead? For me, it was white and purple -- definitely not green and purple in the original install directions.

Also, using the OBDII connector I posted above is by far the easiest way to get power. Doesn't require any splicing or tapping into the harness. What's more "artsci" than that??

10. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Yes, I picked up on that connector you showed. Already ordered one as soon as I saw it.
    Yes, let me work on that unwrapping. But these connectors are completely different. There's 3 or 4 now, not grouped together like the first ones were. I will get pictures. See, these are not under a metal plate either. These are behind the right side kickpad. New location, new connectors and no reference to what these connect to. And unless we break installation on dozens of small gauge wire, its going to be harder by trial and error to find the one. And requires someone to sit in the driver seat and work the shift.

I've been hoping someone with the savvy would have studied the wiring diagrams from the service manual and found what we are looking for.

11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I know @artsci has the wiring diagrams.. Maybe he or others can assist?

• Like x 1