Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Front/Rear Camera Switch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About a year ago I obtained all of the parts via this forum and elsewhere to add the front camera to my Model S.

More info here: Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit - SOLD

My newborn and multiple trips to the service center for issues with my Model S never allowed me to get it installed. We have decided to trade-in our S for a Model 3 as soon as our reservation arrives. As a result I am putting this up for sale.

I think I paid about $650 for everything which includes:

Camera Switch
Tesla Camera (Tesla Part 1006773-00-E AA)
2 remotes
Assortment of cables and brackets
Power Probe, Tap its and wire for connecting to the reverse wire.

I also have the instructions. I think that is just about all you will need to do the install. Make me an offer. Thanks.

IMG_20170423_220237.jpg

About a year ago I obtained all of the parts via this forum and elsewhere to add the front camera to my Model S.

More info here: Front/Rear Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit - SOLD

My newborn and multiple trips to the service center for issues with my Model S never allowed me to get it installed. We have decided to trade-in our S for a Model 3 as soon as our reservation arrives. As a result I am putting this up for sale.

I think I paid about $650 for everything which includes:

Camera Switch
Tesla Camera (Tesla Part 1006773-00-E AA)
2 remotes
Assortment of cables and brackets
Power Probe, Tap its and wire for connecting to the reverse wire.

I also have the instructions. I think that is just about all you will need to do the install. Make me an offer. Thanks.

View attachment 224158
I'll pay $500. email me stevev at family15 dot com

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. This is the best mod ever for Model S!

Congrats to whoever gets it. It's well worth the cost and pretty easy to install. For powering the unit, I highly recommend getting one of these to use the OBDII power port, make the install even easier:

Amazon.com: GPSit OBD II OBD2 Power Adapter Harness: Car Electronics
View attachment 224174

HLR, I agree with you 100%. I just wish I could id the primary wires for connections on my 90D. I removed it from my '13 and can't get it to work on my '17.

Which primary wires are you referring to? The camera, power, or reverse?
Well actually - both. I can tap into the OBD-II for power, but it would be nice if there was a more "artsci" way than that. However, the Reverse is more important to get the change view affect, that we both enjoy. Let's see, it was purple with red stripe on the '13's.

The harnesses and connectors are so completely different on the newer models such as the late '16 and '17. You can't even sneak a peek with a power probe into the backside of the connector because they are sealed.

This so far is the my only regret in moving to a newer car. (Well, that and the $ 40+K it cost between $$ gave up on selling the '13).

HLR, really appreciate your help with this.

I know when I re-installed it on my '14 P85D, the color for reverse was totally different that the instructions, but the location in the connector was the same. Can you unwrap the wires going to the connector to try by trial-and-error to find the reverse lead? For me, it was white and purple -- definitely not green and purple in the original install directions.

Also, using the OBDII connector I posted above is by far the easiest way to get power. Doesn't require any splicing or tapping into the harness. What's more "artsci" than that??

I know when I re-installed it on my '14 P85D, the color for reverse was totally different that the instructions, but the location in the connector was the same. Can you unwrap the wires going to the connector to try by trial-and-error to find the reverse lead? For me, it was white and purple -- definitely not green and purple in the original install directions.

Also, using the OBDII connector I posted above is by far the easiest way to get power. Doesn't require any splicing or tapping into the harness. What's more "artsci" than that??

Yes, I picked up on that connector you showed. Already ordered one as soon as I saw it.
Yes, let me work on that unwrapping. But these connectors are completely different. There's 3 or 4 now, not grouped together like the first ones were. I will get pictures. See, these are not under a metal plate either. These are behind the right side kickpad. New location, new connectors and no reference to what these connect to. And unless we break installation on dozens of small gauge wire, its going to be harder by trial and error to find the one. And requires someone to sit in the driver seat and work the shift.

I've been hoping someone with the savvy would have studied the wiring diagrams from the service manual and found what we are looking for.

Does anyone have a pointer to this same kind of information for the Model X. I have a 2017, and really just want to install an additional camera view besides the built in reverse. Specifically for a trailer towing situation. I didn’t know there was a switch, but that seems only for the Model S and maybe only for a bit older Model S’s.

Anyone know if there is work that’s already been done somewhere on the forum?

Yes someone did it. Yes, someone wired this kit to a trailer. Instead of routing the second feed to the front of his Tesla, he ran extra lengths of cable and ran it to the rear of his trailer and hooked it up. And it worked. I am not 100% sure, but I think he had both a S and a X and he was wiring it for his X. In order to test one item, he went to his S and took it off the S to put it on the X. That's why I remember he had both cars. Who? I don't remember who. But it was all documented here on TMC. So, you will need to search for it. Someone that commented on his effort on that thread might have a link to that tread in their profile comments. So maybe someone will help.

Does anyone have a pointer to this same kind of information for the Model X. I have a 2017, and really just want to install an additional camera view besides the built in reverse. Specifically for a trailer towing situation. I didn’t know there was a switch, but that seems only for the Model S and maybe only for a bit older Model S’s.

Anyone know if there is work that’s already been done somewhere on the forum?
Yes, it was me, as noted above by @Akikiki and @lunitiks.

Some discussion regarding the required parts and the extending challenges is here.
An update in my own thread is here.
An example of the camera working is here.

Note that I think I may have misunderstood the need for my Model S camera as noted in those posts. I think it was actually just a sync issue, which I continue to have from time to time especially in very warm environments. I haven't solved this yet (nor have I tried very hard) but it's definitely important to do. I also haven't permanently mounted the camera to the rear of my Airstream. It's being held by a strain relief connector on the wiring harness to the camera. That's probably why I never posted any photos... :)

those are good data sources. Do you or does anyone know what the signal is on the connector out of the camera (and this into the system eventually). What I am asking is...is the signal an analog video signal that the camera produces and sends through the cabling, or is it digitized data (the image already processed) traveling on the cabling?

And either way, I could not magnify the cable ends enough to tell but...is that cable an optical cable? Or is it just multiple copper leads?