Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Front Seat Recline Partially Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

After exhaustive searching here and in the service manual, I’m stumped.

I have a 2016 Model S. The drivers seat reclines back, but when going forward, it stops at about 20-30 degrees from perpendicular and won’t go any further. My car doesn’t have a seat calibration option in the service menu.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like a cog on the gear is broken. If you pull forward on the seatback while the motor is running, does it then continue to move forward? This might indicate the cog is broken if it does move forward. I've not pulled a seat apart, but I suspect Tesla would just replace the entire seat rather than fix it and/or make internal parts available. A used seat might yield the needed parts. I'm not aware of a calibration option, but perhaps someone else knows more.

I had the same problem a few years ago. Recalibrated by service. Apparently I was pushing back as the seat tilted forward during from the East Entry position change.

It happened again recently but now I have a recalibration button under service menu that worked like a charm!

D338571F-7660-44E7-A782-052484ACA4FF.jpeg
21CF2477-6159-4810-B25C-C8D8AD63F503.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: house9
I had the same problem a few years ago. Recalibrated by service. Apparently I was pushing back as the seat tilted forward during from the East Entry position change.

It happened again recently but now I have a recalibration button under service menu that worked like a charm!

View attachment 898434View attachment 898436
It looks like that screen is from the new 2021+ Model S. Does anyone know if this can be accessed from the service menu in the 2012-2020 Model S?

It looks like that screen is from the new 2021+ Model S. Does anyone know if this can be accessed from the service menu in the 2012-2020 Model S?
Hi, I know this answer is probably bit late, but you can do the seat recalibration by yourself in service mode (at least 2018 75D). Don't sit in the driver's seat when the recalibration starts and be ready to push the stop button when you first time tab your saved driver profile (or easy entry) - because they are not the same after recalibration (I had a problem with the back and after the recalibration my saved position was hmm... bit tight between the steering wheel and the seat.)