Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Front Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to Edmunds for putting a car on the lift and taking these pictures.

i thought it was interesting that there are two lower ball joints on the hub or steering knuckle, whereas most cars have just a single ball pivot.

As the wheel is turned the knuckle rotates about the upper and lower pivot points. The line thru the upper and lower points is the steering axis and the inclination of that axis is related to the wheel caster.

Edmunds indicates the lower pivot as the intersection of the contol arms.

It looks to me that for rotation about two ball joints also requires a fore-aft translation of the bottom of the knuckle, effectively changing the wheel base to shorten it on the inner-side of a turn. However to do that requires a moment load about the attachment point of the control arm to the chassis. This is a thrust-like load that flexes and internally displaces the rubber bushings, as can be seen in the pictures in which the wheel is turned left and right.

There is no control arm to carry the thrust loads although it looks like there is an unused hole that was drilled for one in the bottom knuckle plate.

i predict that over time a shimmy will become manifest upon braking--a high frequency oscillation of the steering wheel that is quite startling when it occurs.

Attachments

• front_lower.jpg
    front_lower.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 2,093
  • front_lower2.jpg
    front_lower2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,542
  • front_lower3.jpg
    front_lower3.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,922
  • Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
i predict that over time a shimmy will become manifest upon braking--a high frequency oscillation of the steering wheel that is quite startling when it occurs.

kenny,

Did Tesla/Brembo deploy those four rather large brake pad dampner/extension/heat-sink appendages on the front calipers to combat this high-frequency oscillation you speak of?

Last edited:
After as little as 12k miles he experienced fender rubbing in reverse, this could be due to the play in the bushings as they loosen over time and allow greater fore-aft travel of the knuckle:

Front Tires Rubbing on P85+ when reversing

The 7-series bmw have steering wheel shimmy at ~55mph and under braking when the front thrust arm bushings get loose, occurs after about 30k miles. This is a recurring topic on bmw forums. i've replaced 4 sets over 120k miles.

Additional Pictures

i would have added these up above with the others to make a more concise and coherent thread, but when i tried to edit i got this message:

"The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 1440 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message."

So here are some of the components of the lh front suspension, upper control arm, fore and aft lower arms, spindle and steering knuckle. Notice the sliding bushing in the aft lca where the bottom of the shock attaches, and the webbed rubber in the fore lca bushing at the chassis end--very similar to the bmw version. Also notice that thrust loads are carried by torsion of the rubber bushings--there are no metal thrust carriers except maybe the UCA wishbone holding the pivot although it is bushing mounted too.

The big steering knuckle casting is made of an aluminum-7% silicon- magnesium alloy.

Attachments

• frt_aft_lca_lh.JPG
    frt_aft_lca_lh.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 903
  • frt_fwd_lca_lh.JPG
    frt_fwd_lca_lh.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 889
  • fr_uca_lh_bv.JPG
    fr_uca_lh_bv.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 887
  • frt_lh_sk.JPG
    frt_lh_sk.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 879
  • frt_lh_spindle_hub2.JPG
    frt_lh_spindle_hub2.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 895
  • Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
[Front Tires Rubbing on P85+ when reversing]

Yeah, I didn't like the sound (and implication) of that one. Wonder if it is P+ specific. Used to be urethane was always better than 'rubber' (the black stuff) being stiffer. TM might not want to be that stiff actually.

[edited 18 hours after initial post]
--

Last edited:
There is a thread Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18) where a front suspension issue is discussed a lot. The common observation is that the vibration is less prominent with heavier wheels, i.e. R21 vs. R19. Tesla attempted to address this problem by modifying design of front air struts, but more and more owners report that the core problem persists also with the new part (1067361-77-C), although not as severe as with the old part (1067361-25-C).

NB! The thread is about TMS Dual motor built 2017-18, but there have been reports about RWD versions of post face-lift also in 2016.

CC: @CaliSol @ptekngo @sumitkgarg