Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Frustrating experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance

KArnold

May 21, 2017
Columbus OH
I try to remember to look at the plug before plugging it in. Only one time did I see a damaged charger plug that I then didn’t use.
Do you look for anything specific or that it just looks normal? I've never done this but it sounds like a great idea.

And obviously the handles can get hot but if it's extremely hot I'll change chargers. That's rare but has happened a few times in my 4 years. Might just be normal too and my paranoia speaking.

outdoors

Always roaming
Aug 10, 2014
in the moment
Strange situation. Sorry you had a bad experience. I always double-check the charging wand.

Here is the roadside assistance policy:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/roadside-assistance-policy-en.pdf

These are the words I think that are pertaining to your out of pocket costs.

Tesla hereby disclaims any and all indirect, incidental, special and consequential damages arising out of, or relating to, roadside assistance, including, but not limited to, loss of vehicle value, time, income, personal or commercial property, or use, inconvenience or aggravation, emotional distress, commercial loss (including lost profits or earnings), bus fares or other transportation costs, vehicle rental, gasoline or lodging expenses, damage to tow vehicle, and incidental charges such as telephone calls, facsimile transmissions, and mailing expenses. The exclusions and limitations in the preceding sentence shall apply whether your claim is in contract, tort (including negligence and gross negligence), breach of warranty or condition, misrepresentation (whether negligent or otherwise) or otherwise at law or in equity, even if Tesla is advised of the possibility of such damages or such damages are reasonably foreseeable.

So I must end with that this came from Tesla's website. I was not claiming to be an attorney as one thought. Nor was I trying to dissuade anyone from exercising any legal remedy they might intend to seek. I would assume if you walked into your service center and presented them a bill for whatever your damages are they would point you to this. Now people would know that before walking in and be more prepared for their case.

Wow I will think twice about posting pertinent information that people might want to read. I also looked three other OEM's they all kind of read more or less the same. I would also read on that Tesla wants you to go after tow services yourself if they mess up your car.

Once again strange situation.

SO16

Feb 25, 2016
MI
Do you look for anything specific or that it just looks normal? I've never done this but it sounds like a great idea.

And obviously the handles can get hot but if it's extremely hot I'll change chargers. That's rare but has happened a few times in my 4 years. Might just be normal too and my paranoia speaking.

Mainly just look to see if there’s any debris in the plug and if one of the pins is broken.

ArizonaP85

Apr 6, 2017
Phoenix
Strange situation. Sorry you had a bad experience. I always double-check the charging wand.

Here is the roadside assistance policy:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/roadside-assistance-policy-en.pdf

These are the words I think that are pertaining to your out of pocket costs.

Tesla hereby disclaims any and all indirect, incidental, special and consequential damages arising out of, or relating to, roadside assistance, including, but not limited to, loss of vehicle value, time, income, personal or commercial property, or use, inconvenience or aggravation, emotional distress, commercial loss (including lost profits or earnings), bus fares or other transportation costs, vehicle rental, gasoline or lodging expenses, damage to tow vehicle, and incidental charges such as telephone calls, facsimile transmissions, and mailing expenses. The exclusions and limitations in the preceding sentence shall apply whether your claim is in contract, tort (including negligence and gross negligence), breach of warranty or condition, misrepresentation (whether negligent or otherwise) or otherwise at law or in equity, even if Tesla is advised of the possibility of such damages or such damages are reasonably foreseeable.
Many such disclaimers are, in their turn, limited by state law. Often their real function is discourage legitimate claims; something at which to point to scare off harmed customers.

Tesla’s first liability to OP is from the damage its charging service did to his car. Roadside just did a poor job cleaning up the Supercharger’s mess.

Imagine driving an ICE and a Chevron station accidentally put diesel through its unleaded pump, damaging your fuel system, and leaving you stranded: everyone here sees how Chevron would be liable for the tow, repairs, loss of use, etc.

If a Chevron canopy collapsed in front of and behind an ICE car, trapping it overnight and into the next day, then Chevron would have to pay for lodging and lost work. Tesla’s Supercharger melting to OP’s car trapped him in exactly the same way and Tesla is liable.

Just because Tesla’s Supercharger dispenses electrons instead of hydrocarbons does not change its legal responsibilities. This isn’t a complex case. But we’ve all seen reports here of how poor Tesla’s customer “service” can be on the front lines and they are apt to not see Tesla’s clear-cut liability as quickly as Tesla’s lawyers or insurance adjusters will. OP should consult a lawyer if Tesla’s legal department doesn’t do right by him.

Accidents happen, just like with gas stations dispensing the wrong fuel. I hope that OP’s wife can accept that over time and come back to the Tesla family.

Good luck. We’re all sorry that this rare accident happened to you.

fokap888

Jan 25, 2021
San diego
You should take this to news and get a lawyer. It is Tesla car and Tesla charger. And what happened to 24/7 roadside service ?
They have Saturday and Sunday off ? Maybe they should suggest Tesla owners to not take road trips on that days!

I know people who had issues with their cars during road trips and none of them was happy with roadside service.
Maybe their issues were less serious then yours but still....

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC