Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Frustrating experience with Tesla Roadside Assistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I try to remember to look at the plug before plugging it in. Only one time did I see a damaged charger plug that I then didn’t use.
Do you look for anything specific or that it just looks normal? I've never done this but it sounds like a great idea.

And obviously the handles can get hot but if it's extremely hot I'll change chargers. That's rare but has happened a few times in my 4 years. Might just be normal too and my paranoia speaking.

Strange situation. Sorry you had a bad experience. I always double-check the charging wand.

Here is the roadside assistance policy:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/roadside-assistance-policy-en.pdf

These are the words I think that are pertaining to your out of pocket costs.

Tesla hereby disclaims any and all indirect, incidental, special and consequential damages arising out of, or relating to, roadside assistance, including, but not limited to, loss of vehicle value, time, income, personal or commercial property, or use, inconvenience or aggravation, emotional distress, commercial loss (including lost profits or earnings), bus fares or other transportation costs, vehicle rental, gasoline or lodging expenses, damage to tow vehicle, and incidental charges such as telephone calls, facsimile transmissions, and mailing expenses. The exclusions and limitations in the preceding sentence shall apply whether your claim is in contract, tort (including negligence and gross negligence), breach of warranty or condition, misrepresentation (whether negligent or otherwise) or otherwise at law or in equity, even if Tesla is advised of the possibility of such damages or such damages are reasonably foreseeable.

So I must end with that this came from Tesla's website. I was not claiming to be an attorney as one thought. Nor was I trying to dissuade anyone from exercising any legal remedy they might intend to seek. I would assume if you walked into your service center and presented them a bill for whatever your damages are they would point you to this. Now people would know that before walking in and be more prepared for their case.

Wow I will think twice about posting pertinent information that people might want to read. I also looked three other OEM's they all kind of read more or less the same. I would also read on that Tesla wants you to go after tow services yourself if they mess up your car.

Once again strange situation.

Reactions: EVEnergy
Do you look for anything specific or that it just looks normal? I've never done this but it sounds like a great idea.

And obviously the handles can get hot but if it's extremely hot I'll change chargers. That's rare but has happened a few times in my 4 years. Might just be normal too and my paranoia speaking.

Mainly just look to see if there’s any debris in the plug and if one of the pins is broken.

Strange situation. Sorry you had a bad experience. I always double-check the charging wand.

Here is the roadside assistance policy:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/roadside-assistance-policy-en.pdf

These are the words I think that are pertaining to your out of pocket costs.

Tesla hereby disclaims any and all indirect, incidental, special and consequential damages arising out of, or relating to, roadside assistance, including, but not limited to, loss of vehicle value, time, income, personal or commercial property, or use, inconvenience or aggravation, emotional distress, commercial loss (including lost profits or earnings), bus fares or other transportation costs, vehicle rental, gasoline or lodging expenses, damage to tow vehicle, and incidental charges such as telephone calls, facsimile transmissions, and mailing expenses. The exclusions and limitations in the preceding sentence shall apply whether your claim is in contract, tort (including negligence and gross negligence), breach of warranty or condition, misrepresentation (whether negligent or otherwise) or otherwise at law or in equity, even if Tesla is advised of the possibility of such damages or such damages are reasonably foreseeable.
Many such disclaimers are, in their turn, limited by state law. Often their real function is discourage legitimate claims; something at which to point to scare off harmed customers.

Tesla’s first liability to OP is from the damage its charging service did to his car. Roadside just did a poor job cleaning up the Supercharger’s mess.

Imagine driving an ICE and a Chevron station accidentally put diesel through its unleaded pump, damaging your fuel system, and leaving you stranded: everyone here sees how Chevron would be liable for the tow, repairs, loss of use, etc.

If a Chevron canopy collapsed in front of and behind an ICE car, trapping it overnight and into the next day, then Chevron would have to pay for lodging and lost work. Tesla’s Supercharger melting to OP’s car trapped him in exactly the same way and Tesla is liable.

Just because Tesla’s Supercharger dispenses electrons instead of hydrocarbons does not change its legal responsibilities. This isn’t a complex case. But we’ve all seen reports here of how poor Tesla’s customer “service” can be on the front lines and they are apt to not see Tesla’s clear-cut liability as quickly as Tesla’s lawyers or insurance adjusters will. OP should consult a lawyer if Tesla’s legal department doesn’t do right by him.

Accidents happen, just like with gas stations dispensing the wrong fuel. I hope that OP’s wife can accept that over time and come back to the Tesla family.

Good luck. We’re all sorry that this rare accident happened to you.

You should take this to news and get a lawyer. It is Tesla car and Tesla charger. And what happened to 24/7 roadside service ?
They have Saturday and Sunday off ? Maybe they should suggest Tesla owners to not take road trips on that days!

I know people who had issues with their cars during road trips and none of them was happy with roadside service.
Maybe their issues were less serious then yours but still....

Reactions: Danzel
Hello,
This is my first time posting and I am a new Model S owner (I took delivery early December 2020) I have enjoyed my Model S and the driving experience for the last two months and decided to take it on a road trip. I did have some range anxiety and wanted to see how my Model S would fare on a long trip. The trip was 496 miles one way and I was expecting 2-3 stops at Super Chargers. Tesla navigation only recommended two stops but i wound up needing three and learned I really needed to determine my own stops and not rely on the routing from Tesla.

My return trip home is where the problem occurred at my second super charger stop. I had completed the charging and went to unplug from the station and the cable would not disconnect. I thought I had not unlocked the port and selected unlock port and tried again, no luck. I went through the user manual tried the recommendations up to using the manual disconnect (which i did not try initially) I did a soft and hard restart of the computer, tried unlocking and locking the car then unlocking the charge port - no luck. I asked another Tesla owner at the charging station if they have seen this problem before and ran through some of the same steps again with another pair of eyes, no luck. You could hear the port click, but the cable would not disconnect. I finally tried the manual disconnect and this did not work either. I had 5 other Tesla owners take a look and they all said this seemed unusual.

So I tried contacting Tesla Roadside assistance through the Tesla app. This started on a Sunday at 12:30pm I contacted them around 2:45pm. A few minutes later I received a text response with a couple of suggestions. I responded I had tried the suggestions with no success. They had me to take any phones with the Tesla app and all keys and stay at least 30 feet away for 20 minutes. I stayed away for ~25 minutes and tired again without success. At this point I said i had been there for 3 hours and who could I escalate too. They said they needed to finish troubleshooting before they could escalate. They then said to hold down the button for 2 seconds and try and pull out - no success. They then asked to press the trunk button for 5 seconds and try to remove the cable, no success. I asked them to call me so we could speed up the process as the weather was quite cold and I had been there for over three hours now.

Tesla Roadside Assistance then told me they will send the request to Urgent Mobile to come out to assist. They are not open on the weekend and they would contact me TOMORROW. I replied back that they have to be kidding, I would be stuck at the supercharger overnight? They replied that Mobile Service would review my case tomorrow and contact me with next steps. I replied this has to be the WORST customer service I have ever received.

I called Road Side Assistance at this point and to make an already long story a bit shorter - they said the same thing and said they could give me a voucher for Uber. I was 5 hours away from home and this was not acceptable but they suggested renting a hotel room and staying the night. There were no Uber cars available so we wound up taking a Lyft car to a nearby hotel to stay the night.

The next day at 9:11am Mobile service called and said they would have a technician over after they finished their current service request. I believe the technician made it around 10:30 while I was away from the vehicle (did not call in advance). The technician was polite and professional and had removed the cable before I arrived. I asked what had caused the cable to stick and he said the end of the cable had melted onto my charge port. He had to manually remove the two charge caps from the supercharger cable from my charge port. He was not able to fully repair my charge port and I am now waiting to hear back from Mobile support on when the final repairs will be made.

Tesla did not offer to re-reimburse my time (I had to take a vacation day from work) nor did they offer to pay my hotel bill. I see this issue as being 100% a Tesla issue and not something I could have prevented (or caused). There were some other communication issues from Tesla during this ordeal but I just don't want to keep adding to this frustrating experience.

Has anyone else seen this issue and what are your thoughts on having no Mobile Tesla support over the weekend. If this had happened on a Friday night it would have ruined the entire weekend. I was just shocked at the poor response from Tesla.
Dude, I have an even worse story. Telsa has had my brand new model 3 for over 4 months to paint the rear bumper after a minor hit. I am on my second loaner car with them and have had TWO blown tires in the past four days that have left me stranded on the side of the road for over 3 hours. One in the middle of the night where they also told me my luggage and family transport/staying at a hotel was all on me as they wouldn't do anything about it. They wouldn't even give a uber voucher. The blown tires were clearly due to neglected maintenance as the inside of both rear tires were worn literally down to the wire and is tough to see unless you lay down behind the car. They would have never passed inspection. Tesla roadside assistance last night straight up told me "I'm not going to do what you're asking and get the tire changed, we have to tow it back from Charlotte to Raleigh and you all are just on your own for the rest." I hung up on that guy and called back to get a different person. This next guy obviously had a mental disability and should not have been working any kind of phone or customer service. He told me I could only also get towed as no tow truck drivers they had in Charlotte wanted to help me change the tire with a Tesla loaner tire replacement. They only wanted to tow, and that Telsa would cover my hotel and uber since this is obviously their responsibility. Five minutes later he retracted that statement and said "I never said Tesla would cover the hotel. I wouldn't say that. (pause) Oh, now I'm confused." He ended up accidentally giving me the name of one of their towing services, who I called myself and came out to change the tire no problem, and the tow truck driver was furious that Tesla roadside treated it's customers like that, as he obviously had no problem coming out to assist. The Tesla roadside worker (BJ) called me back and told me I put him between a rock and a hard place because he couldn't select "tire replacement" on his computer screen and could only select "car towing". He then stated that he didn't know what to do so he was going to end the call because he was confused, and was actually expressing how upset he was that the towing gentleman was coming to help me. Both BJ and Jordan, with Tesla roadside assistance, not only didn't try to help, but actively worked the PREVENT me getting help while stranded on the side of the highway in the middle of the night. BJ originally told me he couldn't find my location (Charlotte, NC) on his computer map so he couldn't get anyone to help me. Charlotte is the biggest city in the entire state! Even bigger than the capital. The second I get my car back I am trading it and going back to Mercedes. I have never ran into such an uncompassionate group of people that cannot think past the words on their computer screen. They don't give a flying **** about their customers and work to put them into a worse situation when things are already going wrong. Absolutely disgusting.

P.S. I have most of the calls recorded as my phone does that automatically and it's legal in my state, and your jaw would drop hearing the things they told me. We'll see if Telsa will step up to protect their image in this situation as much as they do on twitter.

Reactions: InternetDude
You should take this to news and get a lawyer. It is Tesla car and Tesla charger. And what happened to 24/7 roadside service ?
They have Saturday and Sunday off ? Maybe they should suggest Tesla owners to not take road trips on that days!

I know people who had issues with their cars during road trips and none of them was happy with roadside service.
Maybe their issues were less serious then yours but still....
24/7 roadside--bleah! I got a flat tire on my Y in Oakland and they just flat-bedded it away to the Tesla service center in Berkeley where they did NOT have a tire sized for a Y! Had to pay for an extra night at the hotel and get started on the road a lot later than I would have preferred when they finally got a tire around noon the next day.
It was a rainy weekend and the tow guy said I was the SIXTH flat-tire Tesla he had towed that shift! So this not having a spare stuff can really suck. :(

24/7 roadside--bleah! I got a flat tire on my Y in Oakland and they just flat-bedded it away to the Tesla service center in Berkeley where they did NOT have a tire sized for a Y! Had to pay for an extra night at the hotel and get started on the road a lot later than I would have preferred when they finally got a tire around noon the next day.
It was a rainy weekend and the tow guy said I was the SIXTH flat-tire Tesla he had towed that shift! So this not having a spare stuff can really suck. :(
Why not take it to Belle tire (or something similar)? That’s where I get my tires (and repairs) done.

Could probably even request a cheap tire to get you by. Would likely be cheaper than a room and quicker.

Last edited:
I'd strongly encourage everybody worried about the quality of customer service to go on the quarterly call website, search for "service", and upvote every question about roadside, service centers, and customer service: Here's a link to that website https://app.saytechnologies.com/tesla-2022-q1

Also, don't upvote any of the stuff above the service complaints, no matter how flashy the stuff sounds. It's already at the top of the list and doesn't need more votes.

Why would you take a flat tire to tesla? You'd pay more for both the tire and for it to get replaced. You shoulda had it taken to a tire shop where they possibly could've patched it for about $20 (you didn't say where the hole was). And if it was an unrepairable location they are more suited to sell you a replacement tire than tesla is. Seems like it was bad judgment on your part by getting towed to tesla.

Why would you take a flat tire to tesla? You'd pay more for both the tire and for it to get replaced. You shoulda had it taken to a tire shop where they possibly could've patched it for about $20 (you didn't say where the hole was). And if it was an unrepairable location they are more suited to sell you a replacement tire than tesla is. Seems like it was bad judgment on your part by getting towed to tesla.

Good point, but, as common as flat tires are, and as well funded as Tesla is, considering they make all the cars with out a spare, I'd expect Roadside to handle this better.

If it were me, the SvC is the last place I would go for tire work. I keep the Tesla pump and sealant in the car at all times.

I buy tires from Amazon and have local tire shops put them on. Still, I'd expect Tesla Roadside to offer this service if asked, on a car that doesn't offer spare tires even in the "large luxury sedan/midside SUV" class.

Some of the local tire shop people are really nasty about Teslas. yOu DoNT pAy eNOuGh gaS tAxEs sO i gET tO scRaTCh yOUr sTufF. (as if paying $10,000 in taxes when I bought the car, taxes for electricity, taxes for my salary, taxes when I register the car, lots of tollway tolls, and taxes on every accessory for the car wasn't enough. 😑 Last one that told me that, I simply told him "I don't buy a powerful car to drive on moon craters. I pay more taxes in a year than a lot of people make in income." and he shut right up.

Some of us buy Tesla to totally get away from car industry sleazebag-culture nonsense, and don't want Tesla service to slide in the direction of feeling like a Toyota/Ford dealership. I don't expect perfect, I simply expect the service to not be awful.

Reactions: aerodyne
I buy tires from Amazon and have local tire shops put them on. Still, I'd expect Tesla Roadside to offer this service if asked, on a car that doesn't offer spare tires even in the "large luxury sedan/midside SUV" class.
snip...
Tesla roadside is AAA, or any random local flatbed tow truck, there isn't a fleet of tesla roadside tow trucks with spare tires driving around. they just handle the coordination of it. like finding the cheapest one and the fastest one and all that.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Some of the local tire shop people are really nasty about Teslas. yOu DoNT pAy eNOuGh gaS tAxEs sO i gET tO scRaTCh yOUr sTufF. (as if paying $10,000 in taxes when I bought the car, taxes for electricity, taxes for my salary, taxes when I register the car, lots of tollway tolls, and taxes on every accessory for the car wasn't enough. 😑 Last one that told me that, I simply told him "I don't buy a powerful car to drive on moon craters. I pay more taxes in a year than a lot of people make in income." and he shut right up.

Being in Florida, you pay an extra annual EV registration fee of 135. And I pay 140 in Michigan. That alone is more than our share for those taxes compared to what we would have paid via gas pumps.

Last edited:
Okay guys, I am a 68 year old woman from Southern Cal & was visiting during what turned out to be a very rainy weekend in OAKLAND (not a familiar or comfortable place for me). If I was at home maybe I would have handled things differently. I didn't actually expect the tow service to take the car away. I thought they would change it right there as AAA has done with previous cars.
I only bought this car during the lockdown for the self-driving to visit my new grandchild in Oakland. As they say, hindsight is 20/20. If I had it to do over again, I would never have bought a Tesla.

Okay guys, I am a 68 year old woman from Southern Cal & was visiting during what turned out to be a very rainy weekend in OAKLAND (not a familiar or comfortable place for me). If I was at home maybe I would have handled things differently. I didn't actually expect the tow service to take the car away. I thought they would change it right there as AAA has done with previous cars.
I only bought this car during the lockdown for the self-driving to visit my new grandchild in Oakland. As they say, hindsight is 20/20. If I had it to do over again, I would never have bought a Tesla.
Good thing perhaps you did not drive to a SvC. I was at Camarillo when they were telling an older lady her MY tire puncture required tire replacement, even though it was inside of the shoulder.

I checked the DOT guidelines later and confirmed replacement was not needed.

Most tire shops will fix a puncture for free if you have the tire balanced.