TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Future Proof? Research and Findings.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by REBroker, Jan 16, 2015.

1. REBroker

REBroker Member

With my impending delivery of a P85D and seeing how Tesla loves to squash the latest and greatest at will without guidance, notice or regards for those who just purchased. I went on a quest to see how future proof a P85D would be and if not, what technology out there could be coming that we'll be drooling for in the next few years. And here are my findings.

I read the following two articles, limited I know, but enough to give us a good look at things, specially since they are very resent.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/11/technology/future-cars/index.html

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/trends-innovations/5-future-car-technologies.htm#page=5

Here's a list of what may be coming down the pike for cars:

-Crash defense, the car will not let you crash it no matter what.
    -Full auto pilot
    -Tablet for rear passengers to control the car
    -Calendar and route assistance
    -Malfunction awareness
    -Car parking finder app in dash
    -Collision warning
    -Vehicle to Vehicle communication
    -Vehicle to infrastructure communication (signs, signals)
    -Self-Driving Cars
    -Augmented Reality View (Display info on what is on the road, for example, how far an exit is or a building or another car, etc.). GPS lines show right on the road.
    -Airbags under the car to reduce its speed on a possible collision.
    -Hybrid Cars, Battery cars, electric cars.

My conclusion was that based on this, the Tesla Model S is VERY future proof. Not only do we have many of these "upcoming features" but we can get some of them via software upgrades down the road, like full auto pilot and perhaps even autonomous driving.

The only desirable feature, although this is just my opinion, that we can't get with current hardware would be the augmented reality since the car doesn't even come with Head Up Display. Imagine if Tesla launched HUD with just some basic functionality but then can continue to upgrade, for years to come, it's capabilities? I'm sure Tesla could do great things in that department with their software and those of us with current purchases will certainly be drooling.

I also looked at features other cars have that tesla doesn't have, and ultimate the things we have (no oil change, no pumping, 17" screen, GPS Aware Suspension, GPS Aware HomeLink, Smart Preconditioning, Wide Angle backup Camera WITH guidelines, etc.) far outweigh niceties like massage seats, ventilated seats, soft close doors, lighted vanity mirrors, coat hangers, and the like.

I'm feeling very good about the prospects of a Tesla down the road as other cars manufactures will have to play catch up in some of Tesla's strong suits.

2. Thud

Thud Member

Don't forget that the entire instrument panel and center console can be completely updated and redesigned with a software update. So it can be kept looking "fresh." Tesla already did that for the instrument panel in version 6.0 which gave it a cleaner, flatter look. Now they just have to do the same for the center screen which reminds me of older versions of iOS and is looking a little long on the tooth!

3. scottm

scottm Active Member

Flying cars should be on that list too. Always has been before, why not now?

Luckily, I will die before that happens.

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Not to be a party pooper, but your P85D is already outdated compared to what Tesla is working on. If I am to speculate, as you did, your car will be outdated probably within a year when Tesla updates the platform with auto-leveling LED headlights, rear-facing radar, HUD display, LTE, improved interior to match Model X, auto-open/close frunk, separate front/rear climate zones w/ vents to rear jump seats, later revision batteries, newer Tegra processor for displays/UI, and a myriad of changes Tesla can make to the car to improve its overall functionality. Not to mention the fact that the car is getting lighter over time and range is improving, two other aspects of your car that could easily get outdated within a year.

5. frosken

frosken Member

Ugh. I love the fact that the technology is evolving at an unprecedented rate, but I hate thinking about all the cool stuff I could have gotten if I only waited another year.

Oh well. I guess you could say that about anything at any time. I just need to convince myself that the P85D is still just as awesome in two years even though there might be a P150Q available :)

6. REBroker

REBroker Member

I completely agree, however, none of those things are as big a deal as I feared. Again, the main item IMHO is augmented reality, and even then I don't care as much. I feel really good going forward, and others should as well.