TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Gadgets

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Nik, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Nik

Nik Dreaming no more :-(

I came across this the other day http://www.vehix.com/articles/car-technology/7-cool-tech-features-for-your-next-car

It's a list of in-car gadgets, the sort of stuff that is becoming available on luxury and mid range ICE cars. Which would people think ought to be standard on something like the Model S, and which are the ones worth paying extra for?

The list is:
    1) 360 degree camera
    2) cross-traffic warning, for reversing into traffic flow
    3) built-in fridge
    4) Night Vision system
    5) proximity keys
    6) automated off-road control
    7) satellite services (live traffic, streamed video, etc)
    8) Parallel parking assist
    9) Rain-sensing wipers
    10) Lane departure warning

Vehix rated the first 7 as worth the money, and the last three as not.

Personally, I love the auto-wipers on my 2001 Peugeot, and I can't believe they're not standard issue on new high-spec cars. other than that, I think the night-vision is the only feature I'd pay extra for.

Any other non-EV-specific tech that the 'S' ought to have?

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

High voltgage to entire car, wheels, trim, etc. when car is bumped. Just the voltage, not the current. And I like the camera recording all bump times in 360 degrees, and maybe a phone call and a loudspeaker so you can talk to the person via the car. "Your photo has been taken. Please do not touch the car" Along with the 95,000 volts, might get their attention.

Oh, all right. Only kidding.

3. howabout2

howabout2 Member

My thoughts on these in particular are:

1) The 360 camera is interesting, but I'll pass for now.
    2) I'd rather have a back-up camera than a cross-traffic warning.
    3) No need for a built-in fridge. This isn't a chauffeur-driven car.
    4) Night vision system would be pretty awesome.
    5) Proximity keys, definitely. That was on my previous car and I miss it quite a bit.
    6) I'm not sure what automated off-road control is. I live in Los Angeles; I don't go off-road. I'll pass.
    7) Definitely need wireless service. But that's already in the works for the S.
    8) Eh, don't really care about parallel parking.
    9) No need for rain-sensing wipers where I live, so I'll pass on that too.
    10) Lane departure warning. My last car had it. It was funny at first, only moderately annoying over the long haul, but never useful to me.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Night Vision could make good use of that display behind the steering wheel.

Some forum users seemed highly adamant about adaptive cruise control. We have at least a few threads around on Model S feature wish-lists.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I recently replaced my gasser, and the new one has adaptive cruise control. Definitely love it.

Also a more subtle but incredibly useful feature of the Infiniti cruise control is that it shows you the setpoint in kph or mph. So you don't have to guess and fiddle up and down trying to set it right, you just nudge until you get the number you want. That's just as useful as the adaptive feature.

6. mt2

mt2 Member

Haven't seen this anywhere, but I'd love a speedometer and odometer that are frequently calibrated by the GPS. Should be a natural for the Model S.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

It IS a great feature. +1!

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Remote car info and control of charging and HVAC.

9. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Funny, but that's one feature that I've never warmed up to...I guess I don't travel in heavy traffic enough to appreciate it.

Now night vision would be cool...

10. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

If you are driveing in your Roadster for hours in the back of a truck or autobus, you would like it.

11. strider

strider Active Member

So I'm struggling w/ this whole remote HVAC thing. It makes sense in an ICE vehicle where you have to wait for the engine to warm up before you get heat. But in my Roadster I have heat before I've left my garage so I don't see the value. In hot climates AC can take a bit to cool the whole car (especially a larger vehicle like the Model S) but as someone who grew up in Oklahoma it seems like a lot of complication for very little benefit.

12. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I usually don't do this Eberhard...I tend pass them! :biggrin::wink:

13. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

That is of course because you are on the wrong side of the equation. When you spend the first 15 minutes of your supposed drive trying desperately to get through the Panzer-Ice(TM) just to be able to see out through the front window, and THEN starting on your side windows you will understand why preheated car makes so much sense :)
    That is a necessity in my eyes.

Cobos

14. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

There's very few items on that list I'd pay for. Maybe the backup camera, though I care less about that in a sedan than an SUV. Maybe the night vision thing as I've never seen it in use. Beyond that, meh, none really jump out at me. The cruise control I've used in my Mazda RX8 and Acura RDX both seem more than fine.

That said, I can see why folks like Cobos might like other features such as the preheated car thing. I'd just rather they weren't standard items I had to pay for with mine.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#16 TEG, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
    Personal thoughts...

Would want standard:
    5) proximity keys
    1) 360 degree camera (relative cheap considering use of existing LCD displays, and very useful, IMHO)
    adaptive cruise control ("drafting mode")

Options:
    7) satellite services (live traffic, streamed video, etc)
    4) Night Vision system

Perhaps:
    9) Rain-sensing wipers
    10) Lane departure warning
    2) cross-traffic warning, for reversing into traffic flow

Nevermind:
    3) built-in fridge
    6) automated off-road control
    8) Parallel parking assist

And also, what about V2G, and general power output? How about 120V and 240V outlets in the vehicle so you can power things when 'car camping'?
    It has a lot of power stored, and inverter onboard, so why not take advantage of that?

Some other old ideas from Cobos:

*Cornering headlights (headllights follow curves)
    *Headlight washers
    *Lots of small extra lights, reading lights for backseat, inside compartments etc. LED lights only obviously
    *Folding and auto-dimming outside mirrors with memory feature
    *Heated rear view and front windows
    *Grocery bag hooks and 12V outlets in the trunk
    *User adjustable suspension settings
    *Outside temperature measurement
    *Tire pressure monitor
    *Blind spot monitor

16. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

#Jaff if you want to go for distance, you have to do this. Last week i did 430km, but without 3-phase charging i had to charge 4h on 32A to go home. 135Wh/km consumption on winter tire

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yeah ACC and keyless are kinda like electric driving. You just can't know how great it is unless you live with it for a while. Then you never want to carry keys to put into doors to open them and insert steering start cars. ACC is simply what the promise of Cruise Control always has been. Driving without fatigue.

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

If you call it "drafting mode" instead of "adaptive cruise control" then people would have a better idea why you might want it.

19. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And insurance companies would stay away in droves.