Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Gadgets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, to be fair, I should say I've not had any problems with the reception driving around town. I haven't compared how it works driving between cities.
My car has never left the Bay Area (and all but one trip has just been up and down the peninsula) and the reception is terrible. I typically listen to 88.5, 94.1, 95.7, and 97.3 (the last two being HD radio stations) and the reception is much worse than it was driving the same roads in my Corvette (that also had an internal antenna but of course it was behind fiberglass and not CF). It's not worth a special service trip just for that but when I take it in for my annual service I'll ask about it.

Me either. Seems like more electronics and weight for almost no purpose. Having it auto open when unlocked just via springs and resistance would be nice (arms full of groceries), but I can't fathom who would really care about auto-closing.

Speaking as someone living in a cold climate, the usual pneumatic thingies they use to hold up the trunk lid do not work well in extreme cold (-20C or lower).

Every year I seem to forget this, and get banged on the head after leaning in to pick something up. After that I remember to watch out for it... then promptly forget again sometime over the summer. Doh.

Maybe powered open/close devices wouldn't be prone to the same problem...?

Self closing is really great if you've got a bad back or arms full of groceries. I also suspect it would work better in cold weather and stay true with age, but I'm not in a climate where the first is an issue and the car isn't old enough to know about the second. It's just a nicety, to be sure.

I really don't see the point in a self-closing boot. Why not use your arms?

My Lexus LS460 has this feature, and although I am able-bodied, I find that I use the self-closing feature more than half the time. I am not joking when I say this, but it takes less time to press a button than it does to close the boot by hand (without slamming it). I find that I use that extra time to walk over to the diver's seat. By the time I am buckled in, the boot is shut. (I think I might be an efficiency nut)

As for people in cold climate, you want to be outside as little as possible. After you put your bag in the boot, you could press that button and be inside the vehicle one or two seconds sooner.

Me either. Seems like more electronics and weight for almost no purpose. Having it auto open when unlocked just via springs and resistance would be nice (arms full of groceries), but I can't fathom who would really care about auto-closing.

Well it is useful if you have arms full of groceries and are headed inside and don't want to come back out to close it.

Speaking as someone living in a cold climate, the usual pneumatic thingies they use to hold up the trunk lid do not work well in extreme cold (-20C or lower).

What's interesting with the Roadster is since the trunk lid is so light (and thus the pneumatics are designed for little weight), even the thinest coating of snow is heavy enough to prevent it from staying more than 1/4 open.

WRT Alpine radio on the 2.5 -- I hate using it because it's always transitioning between analog and digital (and I can't find a way to tell it to stay analog) which means really annoying sound differences while driving but also the transition can result in a timing issue -- sometimes the digital signal is off by a few hundred milliseconds and when it transitions, you can hear the same word or two twice and the beat gets messed up.
That said, the analog hasn't been fuzzy/crackly on me -- seems like relatively normal reception for my area.