Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gen 1 vs gen 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This probably already exists somewhere but I've had no luck finding it. I'm looking for a complete list of all the differences between the first generation MS and the new facelifted version (the nose being one of them off course).

Thanks in advance.

I have one of the early P85's - and the list of changes is quite long - and surprisingly, if I ordered a 90D, with roughly the same performance as my P85, the cost of the car would be about the same - and would include 10% more range (larger batter pack, dual motors), power folding mirrors, parking sensors, included console (which I paid to have installed after purchase), traffic aware cruise control, improved windshield washer nozzles, blind spot warning, lane departure warning, speed limit display, autopilot for highway use, self parking, automatic high/low headlights, summons, improved cabin air filtration, LED headlights, next generation seats, ...

Some people liked the original clean look of the front floor tray without a console - while I paid to get the console added, some people liked the non-console look, and that doesn't appear to be available any more.

Since the early cars, Tesla changed the front defroster vent design. The early cars had a matte grill over the vents - which has since been removed - and in certain lighting conditions, it appears the defroster vents are more visible reflected off the windshield (a problem other cars also have).

Another small change - the "D" cars with the front motor lose a little space (the size of a microwave oven) in the "frunk". Since there's so much storage inside the car (including the storage under the rear floor), the loss of this small space isn't significant.

As of today, we're planning to buy a second Model S to replace our ICE - and we have a reservation for a Model 3 which will eventually replace our classic P85, as the "short haul" commuter for my wife - with the new Model S as our "long haul" EV, likely with at least a 100 battery pack (100D should have 20% more range than our P85) and AutoPilot 2 hardware.

What's under the cover on a non D model? Can you just slip in a HEPA filter or is it all hollow I wonder.
I am guessing that adding HEPA is more than just adding a filter. Since it is switchable on the CID, there must be motorized ducts, so probably the plumbing is different. Also, you'd need to enable the software option. If someone cared enough to check, you could pop the frunk liner in a HEPA car and a non-HEPA car and see what's different.

That's a very good point, @stopcrazypp. In the interest of keeping this simple, let's exclude batteries and software updates from consideration. I'm interested mainly in what other hardware changes have been introduced as of late (I know it's tough to break it down by year, because that's not how the company operates).

So what I've gathered so far is:
Am I on the right track? What else am I missing?

If you want a list of changed things here: Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki
So @ecarfan is absolutely right: Tesla doesn't introduce model year like other manufacture, instead, Tesla modify it's car in a monthly maner, so anything from one year apart, could be a lot difference.

If you want to compare a Model s from Apr 2015 to Apr 2016, besides your listed points, there could be:

1. HEPA filter optional in Premium package( another reason the frunk space shrink is due to HEPA filter not only AWD) whether or not choose premium package you only have a smallest frunk space.
2. Navigation and update. GPS based Home link are standard for all new Tesla. it's used to included in Tech package, 4G LTE instead of 3G.
3. Default slipstream tire rim take more design hint from optional Cyclone ($2500)
4. 48A standard charger, with software unlockable to 72A
5. Autopilot hardware is default, with software unlockable

So basicly, The pre owned older generation Tesla doesn't look very attractive if you ask me as a existing Tesla owner. From the track of what Tesla do on Model S, Newer car tends to have more options as standard with same price and better hardware or options. I'd always know the future generation will be better. And in addition you lose Tax benefit on pre owned cars. so read carefully, before you pull trigger on pre owned Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: fallen888
Faster charging ?

Faster or slower, depending on how you option it out:
Pre-refresh: 40A standard, 80A with hardware $ option for second charger
Post-refresh: 48A standard, 72A with software $ option for increased current

In my opinion, unless you have a real need for fast AC charging (ER doctor?) stick with 40A/48A. Most public L2 chargers are 30A. Superchargers bypass the on-board chargers (so it doesn't matter which you have).

This probably already exists somewhere but I've had no luck finding it. I'm looking for a complete list of all the differences between the first generation MS and the new facelifted version (the nose being one of them off course).

Thanks in advance.

I don't think the facelift is the best place to break "generations" for the S. It is certainly the most visible change, but Tesla made huge changes to the car in 2014 for the D/AP too- including things that had nothing to do with either feature set like the self closing charge port and larger 12V battery relocated to the upper rear frunk.

Tesla makes rolling changes all the time, but if you are separating blocks of Ss, the facelift should be at least the third block (gen 1.3? Gen 3?)

Right, so I was referring to the 8A gain in post-refresh. :cool:

This is a 80a charger, and mine only draw 48a top:
No need for software unlock to 72a, worthless to me on a 60 kWh car. Totally fine with SC on trip and overnight charging with 40-48a.

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0343.jpg

Reactions: fallen888
We humans like to try to make the universe fall into categories so it's easier to understand and deal with. But of course the universe keeps screwing with us and refuses to go along. All living organisms are constantly mutating and changing. Tesla is no different. ;)

It really is not useful to try to separate the Model S into different categories. The major changes are obvious, such as the September 2014 introduction of AP and Dual Motor, and new battery sizes (though Tesla makes that confusing by introducing batteries that can be software unlocked and then be higher capacity batteries: Magic!). Smaller changes are always occurring. And what some call the 2016 "refresh" is really not a big change.

I know I keep pointing all this out all over TMC, but only because I constantly see people trying to fit Tesla into the traditional model year concept, or insisting that the "refresh" is a big change. I don't think it is. But reasonable minds can differ...

Reactions: mblakele