Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Gen 2 TPMS in Gen 1 TPMS system. How does that work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello i have a question. I have a 2013 MS and just bought some 19” slipstream take offs with Gen 2 tpms installed in them. Being my MS is 2013, i have the GEN 1 TPMS system. Would i be able to leave the GEN 1 system as is or do i have to upgrade to GEN 2 tpms system for the car. Please advise. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat. Okay we all say the facts BUT has anyone actually tried to mount the gen 2 wheels on gen 1 car, sync via system and see what happens?

Without unmounting tire how can I verify what sensors are on the wheels I just bought. Seller does not know.

I was in the same boat with new arachnids on my 2013 p85. Car read TPMS error, so I swapped out the sensors for gen 1 sensors and all is good. Any tire shop can easily swap them out.

Like you, I saw no strong reason to have car rewired to see individual pressures. I hope this helps.

Bump, What is the final answer to this question. IS there a way to retrofit a Gen 1 car to work with Gen 2 TPMS? Thanks!

Yes, definitely possible. You have to upgrade the computer *and* individual wheel sensors. Tesla upgraded my 2013 S to the Gen 2 TPMS last year when my Gen 1 system failed (I think the upgrade cost $500) - and I now get individual pressure readings on my instrument cluster; very convenient.

As has been said elsewhere, mounting wheels that still have the old sensors after the you upgrade the computer will give you a TPMS error; you’ll have to update the sensors on any wheel sets you own.

Speaking of which, anyone out there in the market for a gently used set of 4 Gen 1 TPMS sensors? PM me... :)

Yes, definitely possible. You have to upgrade the computer *and* individual wheel sensors. Tesla upgraded my 2013 S to the Gen 2 TPMS last year when my Gen 1 system failed (I think the upgrade cost $500) - and I now get individual pressure readings on my instrument cluster; very convenient.

As has been said elsewhere, mounting wheels that still have the old sensors after the you upgrade the computer will give you a TPMS error; you’ll have to update the sensors on any wheel sets you own.

Speaking of which, anyone out there in the market for a gently used set of 4 Gen 1 TPMS sensors? PM me... :)

I am interested in the gen1 TPMS. Please PM me as I couldn't find how to PM you... Sorry

I was in the same boat with new arachnids on my 2013 p85. Car read TPMS error, so I swapped out the sensors for gen 1 sensors and all is good. Any tire shop can easily swap them out.

Like you, I saw no strong reason to have car rewired to see individual pressures. I hope this helps.

Thanks Stan, I am in similar situation as I drive 2013 MS P85 currently have 21" turbine wheels and I am going to replace them with 19" slipstream I just bought used on this forum and I am going to use my existing gen 1 sensors and keep the gen 2 sensors if I need it in future. Thanks again.