TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Gen 2 TPMS in Gen 1 TPMS system. How does that work

Discussion in 'Model S' started by smeagolethan, Apr 16, 2018.

1. smeagolethan

smeagolethan Member

Hello i have a question. I have a 2013 MS and just bought some 19” slipstream take offs with Gen 2 tpms installed in them. Being my MS is 2013, i have the GEN 1 TPMS system. Would i be able to leave the GEN 1 system as is or do i have to upgrade to GEN 2 tpms system for the car. Please advise. Thanks.

2. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

You'd have to upgrade the tpms computer to the continental version for the gen 2 tpms to work on your car. There is a tesla doc floating around on the internet describing the process as it is something you can pay an SC to do for you.

3. Chaserr

Chaserr Hyperactive Hyperdrive

Upgrade your car, the new system shows all pressures in the top-down display.

4. smeagolethan

smeagolethan Member

Would I get an error if I just left the GEN 1 system as is with the GEN 2 TPMS in the tires or would the set up just work as it was before. I don't need to know what my individual tire pressure is if I don't need to pay extra to have it upgraded.

5. Jeevesbond

Jeevesbond Member

Not sure but if u find out u need gen 1 ill trade u! I bought rims
    And had installed and was sold the gen 1 tpms by mistake and i need new gen 2! Lmk

6. smeagolethan

smeagolethan Member

Thanks but i still have my stock split stars with gen 1 tpms in there. Just trying to figure out if i need to have them swapped out.

7. Chaserr

Gen 1 & Gen 2 work at different frequencies, they don't work with the other receivers.

8. SemiS3XYR

SemiS3XYR Member

I'm in the same boat. Okay we all say the facts BUT has anyone actually tried to mount the gen 2 wheels on gen 1 car, sync via system and see what happens?

Without unmounting tire how can I verify what sensors are on the wheels I just bought. Seller does not know.

9. Stan Moraski

Stan Moraski Brownout

I was in the same boat with new arachnids on my 2013 p85. Car read TPMS error, so I swapped out the sensors for gen 1 sensors and all is good. Any tire shop can easily swap them out.

Like you, I saw no strong reason to have car rewired to see individual pressures. I hope this helps.

10. SemiS3XYR

SemiS3XYR Member

Doe you guys gen 1 sensors and system always say tire pressure monitoring system needs service whenever it gets close to freezing temps?

11. smeagolethan

smeagolethan Member

@Stan Moraski, thanks for the info, that's exactly what I needed to know. Now I have to find a tire shop that can do it for a fair price. I got quoted $35 a piece.

12. Chaserr

No, and I live in a frozen swamp. Ask your S/C to fill your tires with nitrogen instead of just air, you may have too much humidity in there freezing on the sensors.

13. Piney999

Piney999 Member

Bump, What is the final answer to this question. IS there a way to retrofit a Gen 1 car to work with Gen 2 TPMS? Thanks!

14. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Yes, you get the gen 2 (continental) module retrofitted into your car. It's a nice upgrade

15. EKoS

EKoS Model S P85 “Classic”

Yes, definitely possible. You have to upgrade the computer *and* individual wheel sensors. Tesla upgraded my 2013 S to the Gen 2 TPMS last year when my Gen 1 system failed (I think the upgrade cost $500) - and I now get individual pressure readings on my instrument cluster; very convenient.

As has been said elsewhere, mounting wheels that still have the old sensors after the you upgrade the computer will give you a TPMS error; you’ll have to update the sensors on any wheel sets you own.

Speaking of which, anyone out there in the market for a gently used set of 4 Gen 1 TPMS sensors? PM me... :)

16. treenewbee

treenewbee Member

I am interested in the gen1 TPMS. Please PM me as I couldn't find how to PM you... Sorry

17. andyotal

andyotal Member

Thanks Stan, I am in similar situation as I drive 2013 MS P85 currently have 21" turbine wheels and I am going to replace them with 19" slipstream I just bought used on this forum and I am going to use my existing gen 1 sensors and keep the gen 2 sensors if I need it in future. Thanks again.

18. No CO2

No CO2 Member

Newbie here...are the Gen 1's the large sensors, or the smaller sensors?
    I have 4 of the larger sensors for sale.