Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets $3K price drop then a $2570 drop to $69420!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price drop has me wondering, anyone have a agues as to how much profit Tesla makes on an S ?

Auto margins were around 20% on the Model S/X when they were in full production, but now with 60% capacity, not sure, still a strong money maker for Tesla, but since the company is in investment and growth phase, don't expect further price drops, they need the money for everything else.

They could be really slow about making changes. Like $1000 a month - that would sting a lot less than $5k over a few days.
They could refund the difference dropping 5% per day for the last 20 days.
If they did both then $50 would be the daily risk. And no one would complain about $50. I calculate the first year's depreciation at about $50 a day.

And I don't know about #1. While it doesn't matter to me (2015), I know of someone who purchased a car in the last 6 months and had a life change and needs to sell. They just lost $5k.

And I think everyone appreciated this is technology. But it is also a car. And buying a BMW has less short term risk for those on the fence between Tesla and BMW.
Tesla doesn't do slow unless it affects safety. The word "accelerate" is in its mission statement. It seems to me that ICEV are obsolete and will be seen in the same way as cigarettes. Buying one would be a bigger risk than getting an EV.