Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets $3K price drop then a $2570 drop to $69420!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the logic of reducing the price $5500,- 1,5 years before (excluding delays) a competitor will deliver their product?
I would say the EQS would be a bigger threat to S sales than a Lucid though, but that is not available for purchase either.
The price difference doesn't matter as much as the price containing references to two naughty numbers. It gets people talking and writing, which gets free advertising for Tesla. Companies usually have to pay big money for that.

Or you hang on to your wonderful Model S and get away from the car payment.... My 2017 is fully paid off and life without a car payment is just grand....
I know what you mean, I love this car and I got all the upgrades also MCU1, AP2, too MCU2, HW3, AP3, FSD Computer, on 2020.40.4, it has everything, but like to have the new range, and warranty.

Reactions: drklain and SO16
The price drops certainly make the S more compelling. Up until recently, I had assumed that when it is time to replace my '13 and '14 S60's, a model y would be the most likely choice due to the significantly lower price. The price point of the S is getting close to the point where it is easier to justify bumping up to the S for a price conscious buyer. I LOVE my S's, even with their crappy 60 kWh pack, and cant think of a car I would rather have the the long range S, but the price point of the Y is compelling compared to an 80k S. At 69k, it starts to be a bit easier to justify.

Reactions: croman
The price drops certainly make the S more compelling. Up until recently, I had assumed that when it is time to replace my '13 and '14 S60's, a model y would be the most likely choice due to the significantly lower price. The price point of the S is getting close to the point where it is easier to justify bumping up to the S for a price conscious buyer. I LOVE my S's, even with their crappy 60 kWh pack, and cant think of a car I would rather have the the long range S, but the price point of the Y is compelling compared to an 80k S. At 69k, it starts to be a bit easier to justify.

If I could one day get a larger battery pack for my existing S, I’d be good with that too.

Reactions: drklain
What is the logic of reducing the price $5500,- 1,5 years before (excluding delays) a competitor will deliver their product?
I would say the EQS would be a bigger threat to S sales than a Lucid though, but that is not available for purchase either.

Demand. the line is not near capacity. A lot of people waiting for a major refresh. A lot of people finding the Y is big enough. A lot of people waffling and wanting to look at new EV introductions.

Go back a few years and it was simply a choice between 3 and Y.

Reactions: daktari
Hm, 2013 85kWh with pack just replaced under warranty. Brings me up to original range but entire car will out of warranty in 6 months. Worried about air suspension right now. Or, 72.4k + tax and tags (plus higher personal property tax) for a brand new car with much more range, autopilot, etc, etc. Got a trade in value from Tesla a month ago so have an idea of the car value ...

PSA! If you have not been following recent events, this is to let you know that the price of a brand new long range Model S is now $69,420. Over the past two days it has dropped from $74,990 to $71,990 and then again to $69,420. This includes basic autopilot, 402 miles of range, and 0-60 in 3.7 sec. It also includes a full 4 year/50K mile warranty on the car and 8 year/150K mile warranty on the battery and drive unit.

Please keep this in mind when you're pricing you're used Model S, or when you are searching for a used Model S and are trying to gauge pricing.

Attachments

• model s 69420.jpg
    model s 69420.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Love
Reactions: Tam and GSP
Wow - Elon getting aggressive. Competition sure is good! Only going to get better going forward!

Competition and these crazy drops are great for new buyers but continues to screw existing owners with dropping the value of all Existing Model S owners vehicles. My car is almost 4 years old and its worth around 1/3 of what I originally paid for it. I have not seen any other vehicle get devalued so much and so quickly.

Competition and these crazy drops are great for new buyers but continues to screw existing owners with dropping the value of all Existing Model S owners vehicles. My car is almost 4 years old and its worth around 1/3 of what I originally paid for it. I have not seen any other vehicle get devalued so much and so quickly.

Great for repeat buyers too.

Reactions: byeLT4